Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General RAM query

• 02-09-2006 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Looking at the Dell specs, I see different types of RAM:
    533MHz or 667MHz
    Single Channel or Dual Channel
    Can anyone explain what the differences are between these and why it might be a good idea to use the 667MHz and/or the Dual Channel?

Another thing - I will be buying my own RAM also to add to the laptop, so will I need to buy the exact same as is already there or would it make any difference if one stick is 533MHz and the other is 667MHz, or if one is single channel and the other is dual channel?

Finally, is it true that the RAM can only run as fast as the smallest stick present in the machine, or is that just a myth? For example, if I have a 1GB stick and a 512MB stick together in the same machine, would it still only run as fast as the 512 stick allows? And cos of this, would it be better to use one 2GB stick rather than two 1GB sticks?

Any info at all on any of the above would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Most Dell products insist on matched pairs of RAM sticks.
    You will only get defualt without this.
    Go for higher and dual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

I know higher and dual would be the better options, but how much of a difference would they make? Cos in certain Dell machines, upgrading to a higher MHz or to dual can mean a lot of money!

Advertisement