Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Expecting Fathers

Options
  • 02-09-2006 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

the missus just had out first child, a little girl who we are calling Maebh!!

She is just 2 days old and while I remember I want to note a couple of things which may help other expecting fathers!!

1) Keep a couple of bottles of water in the freezer and get your hands on a freezer bag which you can bring in with you when she goes into labour. She will really appreciate the coldness of the water when she is in the labour and it will save you having to run out for some water!!

2) We were in the Rotunda, so parking was a bit of a hassle. If you need to park use the cineworld car park. They charge a maximum of €12.50 per day and €5 on a Sunday. They stay open to at least midnight, unlike the Ilac who charged €17 and closed at 7pm!! You can park in the Rotunda car park (opposite Conways pub) for €4 per park. But its only open to the public Mon-Fri 5.30pm to 9.30pm and from 9am to 9pm on Sat/Sun. Have loads of change available, you wont feel urself spending €40 to €50 over 4 or 5 days!!

3) Pack some food for urself in the mammy/baby bag cos you will get hungry and you wont want to risk running out for something to eat in case you miss the main event!! Also pack a toothbrush and a change of socks/jocks and a tshirt cos you could be there a while, we had a 26 hour ordeal!!

4) Make sure you and the missus have plenty of phone credit cos you will fly through it. The amount of txts and calls you make is crazy!!

Maybe other recent fathers could add to this to help build up a bit of a knowldege base!! If anything comes back to me I will add it on!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Thanks very much, practical information like this is very valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, cheers, really useful stuff. Maybe let the thread gather a bit, then one of the mods could put it in a sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Good stuff - my missus is due in March. Where is the Cineworld car park? Is it near the Rotunda?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, it's the cinema car park opposite peats (the new location, still on parnell street). You have to drive around to the back of the cinema to get in. I've used that place myself a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Just to add, don't dare fall asleep at any stage, I did in a chair beside the bed in the labour ward, I didn't miss anything, that was three years ago and I'm still hearing about it:rolleyes:

Regarding the phone txts, set up a txt group in your phone book beforehand so you can avoid hassel later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

A couple of things to add:

In the babies/mammies bag pack some proper toilet paper, this one is for the new mammies cos the toilet paper in the hospital was like sand paper apparently!! Not exactly what you want to be using on downstairs!!

You can buy Dove sets which have small bottles of shower gel/ shampoo/ conditioner etc. The missus found this really handy cos when showering she didnt have to carry loads of different large bottles!! Apparently you can buy it in Dunnes!!

If you happen to live miles from the hospital you could perhaps bring a sleeping bag/blanket (maybe leave it in the car). Whilst your missus is in labour you can stay with her but you wont be looked after by the hospital at all. Hence a nice blanket to keep you warm in case you are involved with a 24 hour+ labour like I was:eek:

I have to say the staff in the Rotunda were the best in the world, but I found as a man they didnt give me much eye contact. The wife explained it afterwards to me as the way she feels when we are in a dealership looking at cars, the dealer only talks to me. You really feel useless as decisions are being made a lot of times with out your knowledge let alone consent!! And the final straw is the one and only Gents toilet in the building which is on the ground floor near the secruity lads. It has to be the closet to the Trainspotting toilet that I have ever seen!!

Finally, I bought a copy of Stephen Giles' - From Lad to Dad, now that I have my bundle of joy/sh*ttin machine I no longer need it!!

I was thinking maybe the book could be past from future dad to future dad. I will write the details of my little ones birth ie name & weight & hospital. I will happily post it to someone, then after they have finished and entered their details they could post back to this thread thats its up for grabs again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congratulations Branners69
    AdrianR wrote:
    Just to add, don't dare fall asleep at any stage, I did in a chair beside the bed in the labour ward, I didn't miss anything, that was three years ago and I'm still hearing about it:rolleyes:

OH I can understand that one. When I had my last lad every time I asked hubby to time contractions I'd find him dosing off like a nodding donkey and he hadn't a clue how long they lasted. He only had to be there for the last few hours and had been at home for most of the night while I was in the early stages in the hospital. Instead of getting sleep he was watching a Sharon Stone movie and was about as useful as a chocolate teapot next day.

It might be a good idea to pack a sports drink bottle so mum can sip a drink without spilling it, this is especially worth remembering if she has a c-section and cannot lean forward or sit up to have a drink.

Some hospital lists advise bringing a pair of socks for mum because the extremities can get cold when most of the blood has gone towards the centre of the body.

A bit of advice to save getting your head bitten off or risking serious bodily harm. Be aware that in the few weeks after and also longer especially with sleep deprivation kicking in that it is perfectly normal for mammy to get upset and tearful. Whatever you do don't tell her it's her hormones, we all know it's our hormone levels dropping etc but to have it said to you is like igniting a short fuse. Try a more delicate approach

deisemum wrote:
    Congratulations Branners69

Thanks, am a very proud daddy:D
    deisemum wrote:
    A bit of advice to save getting your head bitten off or risking serious bodily harm. Be aware that in the few weeks after and also longer especially with sleep deprivation kicking in that it is perfectly normal for mammy to get upset and tearful. Whatever you do don't tell her it's her hormones, we all know it's our hormone levels dropping etc but to have it said to you is like igniting a short fuse. Try a more delicate approach

I have to agree with that, the missus is very emotional at the moment.. I find it funny and so does she when I take the piss & try and make her cry!! Its a bit like Russian Roulette!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I agree about the toilets in the Rotunda.......

Tips I would have.

a) Ask the staff if you don't understand something , I did constantly and my wife was pleased I did because she also didn't understand but didn't want to appear silly. ( you can act the ' I am only a man ' thing , she can't )

b) Have a go on the gas and air if it's offered , it's better than a double vodka ( just joking )

c) I agree about the food , however if it's during normal ( working ) hrs and it's early in the labour you be happier going out and getting a feed. Some time on your own to think things through can help. She will be fed, you won't.

d) The parking is a nightmare , I ended up skipping from the ILAC to a meter overnight, I dodn't know about the carpark at the cinema , nice tip !

Lastly congratulations banners69... !

Davidth88 wrote:
    Lastly congratulations banners69... !

Cheers Davidth88!! She's 10 days old tomorrow and is more amazing every day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Congrats Branners!

Enjoy every minute of it. My lad was 4 recently & it shocked me how quickly those 1461 days went by. We've another on the way - due in February.

One thing I'd add is for Dad-to-be to wear comfy shoes for the hours & hours of walking up & down the corridor with Mum-to-be to get her "moving".

Advertisement