Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to consider when choosing a laptop used primarily to play Football Manager?!

• 02-09-2006 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Some might think this is a stupid question, but anyone who plays FM realises that it takes over your life!

FM is basically a strategy game. No mad graphics or anything, but there is an abundance of data that needs to be processed continuously - player profiles, club profiles etc.

Would FM even use a full 2GB RAM or the full capabilities of a Core 2 Duo processor?

Another thing is related to the hard drive speed - I realise to a certain extent that the game data will be placed in temporary memory and used from there, but there is so much data to be used in FM, that I doubt all of it will be put into temp memory? If not, then would it actually be accessing the hard drive a lot during playing time? So would it be advised to upgrade to the fastest hard drive available?

Basically, I'm looking for any info at all on what to consider when buying a laptop that will be used primarily for playing FM! I have roughly 1500 to spend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

holy **** you need a beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I played Fm 2006 on a IBM T43 and it flew, bascially you need 1gb RAM, decent centrino and 64 or 128 graphics card. Oh and FM2007 will be out for xmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

holy **** you need a beating.

I won't disagree with ya Budo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

irish1 wrote:
    Well I played Fm 2006 on a IBM T43 and it flew, bascially you need 1gb RAM, decent centrino and 64 or 128 graphics card. Oh and FM2007 will be out for xmas!!

The thing is, is it even worth my while getting 2GB RAM, or would FM run just as fast on 1GB? I upgraded my desktop from 512MG RAM to 1GB RAM there last year and it didn't seem to make it run any faster! So I'm wondering does FM use the full RAM at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Defo don't need 2gb RAM, I think it depends on how many leagues and what level of detail you choose at the start but I'd imagine for normal playing levels 512mb will be enough but 1GB might be worth having for future proofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

eurm. im playing fm2006 on a p-m 1.4 with 512 ram and 40gb hard disk. works perfectly.

dont need to go overboard mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 morbidangel

Spipov wrote:
    eurm. im playing fm2006 on a p-m 1.4 with 512 ram and 40gb hard disk. works perfectly.

dont need to go overboard mate!

My desktop is on a pentium4, 1GB RAM, but still manages to find FM slow. I'm talking about when you click "Continue Game" - it could take anything up to two minutes to load the next screen, depending on the fixtures etc. that have to be processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What the OP should look for (if performance in FM2006 is v.important) is, simply, a fast (7200rpm best, 5400rpm ok) harddrive in the laptop build.
    Or just buy any cheap laptop with a decent CPU, then swap the drive out yourself (might need an OEM copy of WinXP tho)

And try to avoid Intel GMA graphics if possible (but that's just cos... it's a GMA...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Just ordered a Dell job for 635 quid and 1024MB RAM was included. I might buy the new FM game. Wondering will the fact that it's 2x512MB RAM make much of a difference in processing speed.

Bateman wrote:
    Just ordered a Dell job for 635 quid and 1024MB RAM was included. I might buy the new FM game. Wondering will the fact that it's 2x512MB RAM make much of a difference in processing speed.

Sounds like the Inspiron 1300 from this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Myth wrote:
    Sounds like the Inspiron 1300 from this thread.

Cheers, that is exactly the one. Went for the

Basic Lite 1Yr At Home Service incl. Evenings and Saturdays + 30D on-line access to Multi media training

myself, fingers crossed I don't get any hardware probs. :eek:

Advertisement