Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this board an extension of Independent Newspapers?

Options
  • 02-09-2006 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am a new member to this board and have an interest in politics. I have discovered to my dismay that a lot of posts which appear to have any Irish Republican leanings seem to attract a ban on their posters. Is this site some extension of the Independent Newspaper group? I fully expect my own post to be deleted and myself banned. If this hapens - how will anyone ever know it has happened? Answer: I have records / screenshots, etc, of this posting and any previous / future postings and they will be posted and advertised elsewhere along with an invitation for any (unfairly) banned posters to join me. So please - do not ban me or others because we do not agree with continued English illegal occupation of our country. Let's try to make this a real political debating forum. - Is mise - Níall mac an Rí
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Is this site some extension of the Independent Newspaper group?
    No.
    I fully expect my own post to be deleted and myself banned.
    No.
    If this hapens - how will anyone ever know it has happened?
    I'd know, you'd know. Other people who can see deleted posts would know.
    Answer: I have records / screenshots, etc, of this posting and any previous / future postings and they will be posted and advertised elsewhere along with an invitation for any (unfairly) banned posters to join me.
    I've never taken a screenshot of anything I've posted anywhere as I'm far too lazy. Besides, screenshots have been faked on this site more than once. Please keep in mind that all posts are copyrighted to their authors and hence you may need to get their permission for use if they're advertised elsewhere. I've never had an opinion on banned users posting elsewhere or, broadly speaking, doing anything else elsewhere.
    So please - do not ban me or others because we do not agree with continued English illegal occupation of our country.
    I'm only one of the board moderators but I've stated more than once that I'm not anti- anything except anti-idiocy. I've never banned anyone because they do not agree with anything in particular, including the topic you've chosen to highlight. No-one's ever offered me a coherent reason as to why I should change that policy.
    Let's try to make this a real political debating forum. - Is mise - Níall mac an Rí
    Anti- nothing except idiocy. Worth remembering.

In future, I'd advise you to use the Feedback forum for general feedback. Other options include the Help Desk or sending a PM to any of the forum mods. Common practice would be to either lock this thread or move it to Feedback. I'm assuming that you'd like others to comment on the thread so I'll take the latter option. It'll also give irregular users of the Politics forum the possibility of commenting. Obviously I'll leave a redirect in the originating forum so that regular Politics users will be aware of the existence of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Contrary to what I'm quite sure what some people will argue, this surely short-lived thread requires some substantive political analysis/debate.

To that end:
    So please - do not ban me or others because we do not agree with continued English illegal occupation of our country.
    How exactly is it illegal? How exactly is it English, when most Unionists are derived from Scots? How is it 'occupation' if the majority of people born in the six counties (i.e. not English) want its continuation?

I am a nationalist, I seek and await the re-unification of our island. But it is idiotic and inflammatory to refer to the presence of the Crown forces in the North as illegal, et cetera. That will get you banned. It is as offensive to Unionists to be reffered as illegal English occupiers as it is to call Irish people "terrorist Paddies". Controlled, balanced debate on any political topic has and will be allowed (as far as I can remember, anyway).

So, no, this website is not an extension of Indepdent Newspapers; or, as you incinuate, a Unionist or anti-Republican website.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have nothing to do with Independent Newspapers.
    We don't ban for holding any political view but we do ban for the way some of them are expressed. We certainly ban low IQ muppets. On sight. With a big ban hammmer.

Other then that, you haven't given us a specific example (as an administrator I can search, retrieve and view deleted posts... if you can identify one for me I will look it up).

Noone can delete this post of yours except the Admins (5 of us) and the SMods (5 of them).

I dont know if this applies to you (because you havent given me a specific example) but if you are just complaining that you arent being allowed to be racist or bigotted freely then I think you will have to find a new place to post. www.stormfront.org might be more up your street.

Have a good day!
    DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you are prepared to debate there is no issue. If you are there to spout sound bites and to label anyone that doesn't agree with you a "West Brit" then you are getting a nice one way ticket to bansville. Now please get off the cross there are plenty more who want to hop up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am a new member to this board and have an interest in politics. I have discovered to my dismay that a lot of posts which appear to have any Irish Republican leanings seem to attract a ban on their posters. Is this site some extension of the Independent Newspaper group? I fully expect my own post to be deleted and myself banned. If this hapens - how will anyone ever know it has happened? Answer: I have records / screenshots, etc, of this posting and any previous / future postings and they will be posted and advertised elsewhere along with an invitation for any (unfairly) banned posters to join me. So please - do not ban me or others because we do not agree with continued English illegal occupation of our country. Let's try to make this a real political debating forum. - Is mise - Níall mac an Rí

Splendid trollery. On the boards 5 mins and already setting oneself up for paranoid martyrdom (classicly provo stance). The English are'nt occupyiing any square millimetre of this country. As for debate on this "issue", a not so quick search of the boards will throw up many heated arguments on same

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054913694&referrerid=59211&highlight=british+northern+ireland%22

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862114&referrerid=59211&highlight=british%20northern%20ireland%22

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849129&referrerid=59211&highlight=british%20northern%20ireland%22

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272577&referrerid=59211&highlight=british%20northern%20ireland%22

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250951&referrerid=59211&highlight=british%20northern%20ireland%22

etc.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Someone saw the wind that shakes the barley....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was going to go and see that, but I went to see Severance instead. It's funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i agree.

lets go to another web site, you and i, and shout about how boards.ie doesnt sit in your view on life and that it sucks. while you only have 4 posts and obviously dont have a clue about this site, i on the other hand, have plenty of experience, so shoudl be able to back up any claims you feel you can make.

come on my brother.

lets do it for our countrymen!

tiocfaidh ar lá etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I fully expect my own post to be deleted and myself banned. If this hapens - how will anyone ever know it has happened?

How philosophical. If a moron talks ****e and noone is around to hear, is he still a muppet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Indeed, it has many facets that are quintisentially profound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

DeVore wrote:
    We have nothing to do with Independent Newspapers.
    We don't ban for holding any political view but we do ban for the way some of them are expressed. We certainly ban low IQ muppets. On sight. With a big ban hammmer.
    We'll that's exactly it isn't it - the purely subjective-based "I don't like you therefore I'll ban you" clause hidden away somewhere deep down in the charter.

We're not all as eloquent as you DeVore and politics is always a topic bound to generate high levels of emotion, more so than say the 'Crisps and Snacks' forum for example.

Banning someone based on how they express a particular political view when no personal insults are involved smacks of elitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am a new member to this board and have an interest in politics. I have discovered to my dismay that a lot of posts which appear to have any Irish Republican leanings seem to attract a ban on their posters.

How did you make this discovery ..in 2 days ? ..maybe a new a/c ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Banning someone based on how they express a particular political view when no personal insults are involved smacks of elitism.

meh, do you even believe what you post? People aren't banned for their policial view points. But it is a requirement that people are civil, which despite what you may think, is the only way decent debate/conversation can take place. People arn't banned because their language is un-eloquent, or low brow, they are banned because they are ignorant and abusive, which, btw, you can be with resorting to personal insults.

So if you quiet finished with your fairly tails and bald face lies, good day to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Boards is not a democracy, never was and never will be and no-one has said it is, imo the problem with nationalist opinions on this board is that 70%-80% of them are pure ignorant so the 20%-30% of intelligent opinions get lost. Also OP imo you have to realise that the majority of posters on the politics forum aren't interested in discussing many topics other than the north, take for example the threads I created on the tribunals little to no reply's, yet if I started a thread on how SF will make gains in the next election I bet I would get replys flooding in.

The mods have a tough job to do and can't control everyones views they can only police it as they see it and tbh I wouldn't fancy their job.

Carnivore wrote:
    they are banned because they are ignorant and abusive, which, btw, you can be with resorting to personal insults.
    I pride myself on my personal-hygiene boards-wise.

Find one example of me personally abusing a member of boards in a malicious way and I'll donate €100 to a charity of your choice.

Of course there's no obligation on you to do likewise should you not be able to back up your above accusation.

I pride myself on my personal-hygiene boards-wise.

Find one example of me personally abusing a member of boards in a malicious way and I'll donate €100 to a charity of your choice.

Of course there's no obligation on you to do likewise should you not be able to back up your above accusation.

for someone who enjoys attacking the admins for banning people due to how they present and argument, you'll awfully quick to jump to the wrong conclusion about what a person means in a post.

Replace "they are banned because they are ignorant and abusive, which, btw, you can be with resorting to personal insults."

with "they are banned because they are ignorant and abusive, which, btw, one can be with resorting to personal insults.

Think before you post.

Carnivore wrote:
    Think before you post.
    Indeed.

*Folds up two ATM-fresh €50 notes and puts then back in his pocket*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It would appear that you didn't bother reading either my post up the page or the Politics charter. Straw men aren't a currency I choose to regard as legal tender on a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Carnivore wrote:
    meh, do you even believe what you post?
    So if you quiet finished with your fairly tails and bald face lies, good day to you sir.
    But it is a requirement that people are civil

Let me guess...its the "good day" bit that makes the above civil?

Oh hell no, the above is down right hostile. But this isn't the politics forum, and i was merely doing a bit of the auld, "This is what you can expect" reverse mumbo jumbo.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    It would appear that you didn't bother reading either my post up the page or the Politics charter.
    Sorry, no I didn't, because to me, posts that include five quotes or more with mono-syllabic yes/no answers after each are just like flashing strobe lights are to an epileptic.

I’m not being funny…I just can’t read them. They appear like weird jigsaw puzzles to me.

I’m not being funny…I just can’t read

Have you tried a back to school program for adults. They're ment to be quiet good.

Carnivore wrote:
    Have you tried a back to school program for adults. They're ment to be quiet good.
    Quoting people out of context, real mature.

But I'll offer you all the benefits of my MSc level education and inform you that 'ment' is actually spelt 'meant' and 'quiet' should be 'quite' in the context of your statement.

That's two serious grammatical/spelling errors in a sentence of only six words, maybe you should consider such a course yourself?

Quoting people out of context, real mature.

But I'll offer you all the benefits of my MSc level education and inform you that 'ment' is actually spelt 'meant' and 'quiet' should be 'quite' in the context of your statement.

That's two serious grammatical/spelling errors in a sentence of only six words, maybe you should consider such a course yourself?

Oh I see, so you're looking down on people now. Oh yea, real big of yea college boy, some of us have to work for a living. You may to able to spell mate, but I can post on politics.

So this thread looks like it's heading for the Thunderdome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Two man enter one man leave like?

Two men enter, probably neither will leave, endlessly quoting each other and rebutting their points ad infinitum...

To be precise :)

Carnivore wrote:
    Oh I see, so you're looking down on people now. Oh yea, real big of yea college boy, some of us have to work for a living. You may to able to spell mate, but I can post on politics.
    Funnily enough, I've worked full-time since I was 18 and earned by TCD BSc and MSc whilst working and paid the tution fees for both in full.

Obviously Devore, you don't want to risk your modship of the Politics forum by posting this this of 'college-boy' and 'go to adult classes' taunting PI-type abuse under your real username.

Oh a trinity old boy. As if that wasn't obvious.

Also, how did you manage to work full time and go to college? Are there two of you? Do you share you brain with some else? Could that explain you posts? Our panel says YES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Obviously Devore, you don't want to risk your modship of the Politics forum by posting this this of 'college-boy' and 'go to adult classes' taunting PI-type abuse under your real username.

I've lost you here. Can you re-type this out so it makes sense?

Advertisement