Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucid dreams

• 02-09-2006 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

can you lucid dream ?
    share your experiances

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

a few years back i read into this alot. apparently there is ways you can induce a lucid dream. It never really worked for me but it seems like something which could be really cool if you can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Yeah, but what if Freddy gets you in a lucid dream! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

abetarrush wrote:
    Yeah, but what if Freddy gets you in a lucid dream! :o

In a ludid dream you are supposed to be able to manipulate the environment to you will. Something like Neo in the matrix kinda stuff.

Ive read about people using lucid dreams in martial arts. They can practise while they sleep and can fine tune their moves and can experement doing things that would otherwise in real life cause harm to themselves or others.

So basically if freddy comes after you, you can kick his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Try this for more info:

http://www.lucidity.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Right now I'm trying to improve my recall by writing down my dreams. No lucid dreams as of yet. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054969068

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A good few threads about this, and dream recall, in the past few weeks. Have a look back and you might find some good info/links.

I've had some success with lucid dreaming in the past and can tell you that having a good dream recall is definitely important. No point in being lucid if you fail to remember anything anyway.

Writing down your dreams (no matter how much or little you remember) is a good way of improving recall. After that it's about training your subconscious mind to recognise images or situations which will reveal the dream to you. Usually when you dream you have complete suspension of disbelief -- having your old primary school yard as your back garden seems normal enough for some reason, as does the scorched sky and impending meteor shower, and so on.

With a decent dream memory it becomes easier to identify these things as dream imagery, even from within the dream itself.

I've read a lot of various 'techniques', such as training yourself to automatically look at a watch every half hour or so (which will become unreadable while dreaming, thus revealing that you're in a dream state), but I've not had much success with any of them. The lucid dreams I've had are usually the result of something totally strange, and often terrible or at least unpleasant, happening in a 'normal' dream which causes me to take stock and realise that this simply couldn't happen in the real world.

After that I usually either wake up, as if to make sure the real world still exists, or I manage to say to myself "well, if it can't be real, then maybe..." and then I go flying somewhere.

Always go flying in my lucid dreams.. wouldn't mind trying out something else but I don't think I've ever managed full control (i.e. of myself, my surroundings, the whole world, everything). So far I've only managed to manipulate my own self and have a few cool super powers, but the 'Neo in the Matrix' analogy is pretty accurate from what I've read. You can literally do anything you're mind will let you.

You think that's air your breathing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I lucid dream all the time.

This is due in part to the consumption of a ZMA supplement along with Tribulus Terrestris, one of the known side effects of which is lucid and vivid dreaming.

Its fantastic, I feel so alive when I wak up because I'm having such a realistic dream. Often they are very violent but I still love the feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Was just about to start a thread on this. :)

I've had a handful of lucid dreams in the past, always had the problem of waking up soon after I realise it's lucid though.

Recently came across an article on it which got me interested, so I've started trying some of the various techniques for increasing the chances of having a lucid dream, like Goodshape mentioned, recalling dreams, reality checks, Mnemonic Induction. No success so far but early days, would love to be able to have lucid dreams regularly.

That's interesting though Froot, was just reading about supplements evoking lucid dreams. Dunno if I'd wanna mess around with my testosterone levels just to have lucid dreams though... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I had one for a few seconds the other night durin sleep Paralysis

I was wide awake and fast asleep at the same time, so I could control what i didn in the dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

I've always been able to have "lucid" dreams, maybe their not lucid but they seem to happen just before I wake. I'd be in the dream, realise its a dream and then either follow the dream and see where it goes or just "play".
    An interesting one that happens is that I start to read a newspaper while having a lucid dream, the thing is that I wouldnt be thinking of a story, I'd just be reading it and the writing style wouldnt be mine at all. Very weird.

I have a site muineach.com where I put up some of my more interesting dreams. (seems to be offline atm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Yeah the stuff my dreams come up with sometimes don't seem like my creation.

In one strange lucid dream I remember, I took so much control that I started to experiment. I pictured a random house that I'd never been to before. The detail was amazing, and I was focused on everything. I'd try to concentrate on say the wall or the flowers in the garden but there was no need because it was all laid out at once. I couldn't not focus on something.

So I zoomed out and saw a few houses (focusing on all of them and not believing the detail). I just remember thinking wow, zoom out again! This time I saw the street and a few houses around it in a housing estate. I'd never been there before but my mind was creating a better-than-photograph picture. There was no activity though. My head was actually starting to hurt, but I zoomed out again. It wasn't like I was flying higher - the view kind of bubbled into a new one. Briefly I saw a housing estate and a nearby town before I had to give up because I got a pain like looking at light when you've got a migraine.

But it was great. I felt like the god of my own imaginary town. But I haven't recreated it since, not even non-lucidly (I don't think).

I watched a film called Waking Life which is all about a dream. In it there's a guy talking abut lucid dreaming and that he's trying to dream 360 degree vision! I'd love to try it, but I rarely/randomly lucid dream and usually only control certain parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That sounds like a great dream cregser!

Waking Life is a great film alright, captures the dream world perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Goodshape wrote:

Waking Life is a great film alright, captures the dream world perfectly.
    I agree completely, everything is so clear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Goodshape wrote:

I second that! Sounds amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

It's happened to me a few times. First time it happened it was tied with sleep paralysis, so I decided to have sex.

Best. dream. ever.

I've had the one where I was reading a newspaper aswell. It wasn't lucid in the sense that I could control things, more in the sense that I knew I was dreaming and aware of my surroundings. A big factor was an element of control where I knew I could wake up if I wanted to. The newspaper was amazing. I don't remember the words in it, I just remember the experience of reading it was euphoric.

Lucid dreaming is great, but it ties in with other sleep and dream related things, equally as exhilarating but also terrifying. I guess it's the way of the world though.

Advertisement