Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damaged by divorce?

• 02-09-2006 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

As someone whose parents divorced, I have noticed that I and others I have met whose parents also divorced tend to be a bit more emotionally messed up when it comes to relationships.

I could be entirely wrong and it could be my subjective point of view and down to other factors like personalities, etc., but I dont think this theory is anything new.

Is this the norm and is there any way to fix this?

It is something I am well aware of in my own psychology, and I am starting to wonder if it is something that I cannot really do anything about.

I am reluctant to go into specifics, but I would be interested to know if others are also aware of this and how they deal with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Divorce in and of itself does not guarantee that you are "damaged" or anything of the sort. Everyone is unique, and their experiences with the two divorced parents are unique. For example, some split couples continue to take their responsibilities as parents very seriously, whereas others at the other end of the extreme don't. I have a friend in the States who is from a divorced family, and it appears that she now has a larger, more extended family (with more people who care about her). It's actually turned out to be a good thing for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest having a chat with your Gp and getting a referal to talk to a professional about how you feel this is effecting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

How is a GP can I ask going to help someone through their parents divorce? A GP can refer to a psychiatrist, this is not a psychiatric problem.

And OP its hard to generalise although I would say that kids of divorce have had to deal with more loss earlier in life, have probably had to witness their parents heartbreak, and that eldest kids bear the brunt of responsibility when one of the parents leaves - they become the shoulder to cry on - the babysitter-the one to take out the garbage.

And of course having two birthdays, two Christmas' , divided summers, etc etc. Yeah it isnt easy.

But really as an adult it can give you a strength and richness. Everyones issues are different. My parents divorce taught me how to be manipulative as a child [because I had to be to survive in that craziness of game playing and exploiting a child's loyalty], so as an adult I had to unlearn that, and learn that I dont have to manipulate for things that I deserve in the first place. So, it taught me ultimately to be upfront and direct about what I want. Thats just an example. Its in incredibly complex question that you are asking and there isnt one answer.

I dont know if it messes people up emotionally anymore than living in a house with married parents who are emotionally divorced or always killing each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Thanks for the feedback. I did consider getting a referral to a counsellor earlier in the year, but I think it might help me more if I read something on the subject when I have more time, so if anyone has any suggestions...

I realise it is a complex subject. I have read Oliver James's book, They F**k You Up, which was insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its really hard to recommend a book without you saying more. What exactly is your issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

my parents aren't divorced, but seperated when i was 11... I was happy about it, well, not originally, my mother told me she was leaving, so obviously i cried etc etc... But in general, i was happy, cos there would be no more fights, i didn't have to worry about my mother and father going out for drinks, and coming back arguing etc etc.. So i was happy about that... But i haven't really had a relationship with my father since.

How has it effected my view on relationships? Well, i don't have unhealthy views that i know of.... Marriage however, makes no sense to me...

So yeah... i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How is a GP can I ask going to help someone through their parents divorce? A GP can refer to a psychiatrist, this is not a psychiatric problem.

All gps have a list of the local cousellors and can and will do referals.

Advertisement