Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desktop replacement

• 02-09-2006 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

I am now thinking of going more "mobile", replacing my desktop :D I have no problem with current desktop as it still serves me well. These are the specs, mind that it was made 2 years ago:
    • Intel P4 Prescott 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB Socket 478
    • MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR wt onboard sound
    • Corsair PC3200 2 x 512 and 2 x 256 (1.5GB in total)
    • SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB
    • 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    • Plextor DVD recorder PX-712A

I would expect that mobile processors are getting more powerful these days but I am wondering if out there I can get a laptop that serves me the same as my current desktop does now. I do a lot of office work, video encoding, dvd burning, etc. I have no preference with display size as I want to keep my Dell 2005FPW 20" flatpanel on the desk and probably get a docking station.

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Mart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wiggzie

I recently got a Dell Latitude D820 as a desktop replacement. 2 Gb Centrino Duo, 2 Gb 667 MHz RAM, 512 Mb Graphics Card, 100 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, dvd burner, bluetooth, 15.4" widescreen. very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi again lads

Has been a while doing the thinking, suddenly these few days came up a thought of replacing my desktop PC with an Apple Macbook, :p the black version seems appealing to me. I never use an Apple before but considering the above tasks can be done with an Apple, why should I not go with the Macbook. It looks like a big move to me, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I bought my first macbook recently, very happy with it even though I'm still learning my way around it.

As you said, all the tasks you would want to do can be done very easily on a macbook, the only issue I was worried about was the compatibility with external devices - all but my mp3 player were fine, but got an iPod cheaply with the macbook so that problem is solved.

Very nice machines to use and very portable - and the black on is stunning! Have a go on a macbook before you buy, some of the O2 stores and 3G stores should have them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

hey

yer rite, i am a bit worried abt my iRiver H10 whether it will work or not on Macs. i can't be bothered to buy new iPod, the H10 does more that I need. anyway, i have myself tried the black Macbook in a O2 store, what can i say apart from i have a "thing" for the black Macbook. :D

Mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just use your other pc for the h10 if it doesn't work on the macbook.

http://www.iriver.eu.com/faq_details.html?L=&d_id=368&products=0&Input2=mac&rn=2&order=

according to that page above the two h10's - depending which one you have - will only work as a storage device. this should be ok as long as your h10 is one of them h10's that doesn't require iriver software to place music on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I love my macbook. got it about a month ago. my iriver works with it, but it's a H340 so you just drag and drop mp3s onto it.

I wouldn't bother with the black macbook it's an extra €100 for nothing. If you increase the spec of the white one to the spec of the black one (I think it's the HD) there's like €100 in the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

mart_max wrote:
    .... I do a lot of office work, video encoding, dvd burning, etc....

Dual core and lots of RAM.

Advertisement