Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re checks

Options
  • 02-09-2006 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

ok i just viewed my papers and im raging.
    im one of the unlucky ones to have their english papers graded twice.
    1st grade 89.25 precent
    re check 80.5 precent
    this is a disgrace. how fickle these pricks can be. how can there be so much disgression in the marking and how can these old farts hate students so much that they would mark down to such and extent. im getting it checked but because its graded twice theyll probably ignore it. anyone suffer from this same incompetence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

My french was corrected twice and then a third time when changes were made in the marking scheme. I went up marks each time.

English is a matter of opinion.
    Get it rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dreambrook

I looked at my scripts last night and in two subjects there were 3 marks missing however even if I was to add on the marks they'd still be 84.5 and 79.5...ugh but I got my course and I'm not gonna possibly waste 74euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Ah I looked at mine yesterday, Was thinking of getting maths and geog rechecked (got 78% in both) to move me up to a B1 but im not gonna bother no real point in it.

My story isnt that exciting but one of my friends well he wanted to do medicine but he got 550 and thus didnt get the points. In maths he got 89.6% but they didnt round it off so he got an A2 not an A1 like he should have. In english his paper was marked twice and the 1st time it was marked he got an A2 but then it was remarked and he got an B3 :eek: he is getting both of them rechecked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

I looked at my scripts yesterday. My bio paper seems to have been looked at three times: once scoring 87per cent, another 90 per cent and the one which was the final result 88 per cent. I'm only 6 marks off the a1 and some of the definitions were word perfect from the book and i got 0/3! My eng was a shambles, but my eng teacher said the results across the year showed no consistency. People getting d's and c's during the year were given b's while those predicted high grades like b's and a's (including myself) got c's. he was taking notes on the various aspects of each paper and is forwarding a complaint letter. Three girls, myself included, received 0/15 for the exact same part of the exact same comprehension question!! 0/15! My chemistry: 7 marks off an upgrade and again some things which were definitely cited in my book so gonna get it checked. In french i got 100/100 on the written productions!wooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Mini_Moose

eamoss wrote:
    In maths he got 89.6% but they didnt round it off so he got an A2 not an A1 like he should have.

I knew a guy who has a similar thing happen to him with accounting a few years ago. he got his paper rechecked but it came back with the same score. so from what i can tell you dont get rounded up and only get the a1 if you have 90% or more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It varies a lot, because it's english. It's probably the most subjectively marked exam on the Leaving Cert, because it's so difficult to put a marking scheme together for.

Eamoss: the only grade they round up is E1 to D3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Looked at English there yesterday (and today, with another teacher), getting it rechecked after initially being given a B1. I'm in two minds about the whole thing - on the one hand, I got my course and I don't really care - I only applied to view my scripts because the old English teacher rang the old mother while I was on holiday and forced me to. But on the other hand, I'm fairly convinced that was an A1-standard paper, and it would be nice to have that acknowledged after all the work I put it. So may as well.

It'll probably come back worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I got 319 marks in English all together. Had I got 320, I would have been up a grade, and the 5 points which denied me my first choice. Our school had an example of the guy who corrected the English test's work. It showed a test he corrected last year, and the result of the recheck, which went up quite a bit from his mark. So Im deffinately getting it re-checked. 1 f*cking mark...

Looking at my construction, the examiner obviously wasnt a Maths wizz. He gave me 35 when the figures he wrote down quite clearly added up to 38, and 45 when they added up to 47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 westhammer

I looked at mine yesterday despite doing great and getting my course. My english examiner initially gave me a B1 but obviously thought it was better as i got added marks to an A2.

Everything else was only marked once. Chemistry was dodgy though. Oh, and in accounting if you get 359 you only get an A2, no rounding up of percentages which is a bit ridiculous but whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

My friend is a fluent irish speaker, speaks conemara Irish.. We were fairly shocked when he only came out with a B1 in Irish in the LC.

He got it rechecked yeterday and the examiner had put question marks beside certain conemara irish words that they obviously didn't understand, our teacher has now written a big complaint to the department about the low standard of Irish the examiner displayed in correcting his test!

• Advertisement

My french was marked twice, thank christ, d2 to a C2.

My accounting was added up wrong, got an A1, was given an A2. So i'm sending that back for the principle of it.

My English was annoying when i saw it, so many stupid mistakes.

Although i only got 71 marks for an A1(imo) essay.
    need 9 marks to move another grade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Everyone seems to be fairly fooked over by the english, myself included. wrote a decent B essay and got 52:confused:? Then I look over to poetry and it's 50/50!! I'm getting it rechecked because the marking was so inconsistent. Also I found out that my teacher was a bender and the way our whole class wrote the comparative was wrong :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As I have said before in this forum, the 'remarking' and changing of marks is done because results have to fit into a bell curve. Otherwise, Leaving Certificates would be like fine wines, some years harder than others, some more worthwhile than others. Once a sample number of papers are corrected from all over the country, average grades are calculated, if there are too many A grades the marking scheme is made harder, if there are too many fails, it's made easier.

This is why you will see different marks on a paper, nothing to do with anyone being 'fickle'. In a recheck, they will check the totting up of marks, which is where most of the errors, if any, occur. If a paper has already been marked by an Assistant Examiner and also by an Advising Examiner, it is unlikely to be changed. While Junior Cert. correctors are under instructions to maximise the amount of marks for a candidate and so will go back over a 37% paper to find some more marks, Leaving Cert. correctors are not.

Remarks about teachers being 'benders' make me wonder if people posting here are actually Leaving Cert. standard at all.

R0C0 wrote:
    My friend is a fluent irish speaker, speaks conemara Irish.. We were fairly shocked when he only came out with a B1 in Irish in the LC.

He got it rechecked yeterday and the examiner had put question marks beside certain conemara irish words that they obviously didn't understand, our teacher has now written a big complaint to the department about the low standard of Irish the examiner displayed in correcting his test!

Maybe he used words that you can say when speaking but not in writing, you know like the caighdeán? Seems a bit stupid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I looked at my papers and there did seem to be quite a lot of mistakes in the correcting, but most of them wouldn't have made a difference to my grades so I'm not bothering with any rechecks!
    I wish I could recheck English though, because it was marked extremely harshly. He/she didn't give me full marks in my mechanics for anything, even though I had NO spelling mistakes or errors in my grammar! Literally none! He did underline two words which apparently he couldn't read in my essay, but they looked clear to me and surely he would give the benefit of the doubt considering the pressure and time constraint. I really can't risk getting it rechecked though because I'll lose my place if I go down!
    I was lucky with Irish though - it had already been rechecked by the master examiner and I went up two grades! So it shows how luck does come into your results to a certain degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

Does anyone know how long it takes for papers to be checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Faerie wrote:
    I wish I could recheck English though, because it was marked extremely harshly. He/she didn't give me full marks in my mechanics for anything, even though I had NO spelling mistakes or errors in my grammar! Literally none! He did underline two words which apparently he couldn't read in my essay, but they looked clear to me and surely he would give the benefit of the doubt considering the pressure and time constraint. I really can't risk getting it rechecked though because I'll lose my place if I go down!/QUOTE]

Probably too late now but you can't lose your place once you've accepted it even if you went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

eamoss wrote:
    My story isnt that exciting but one of my friends well he wanted to do medicine but he got 550 and thus didnt get the points. In maths he got 89.6% but they didnt round it off so he got an A2 not an A1 like he should have. In english his paper was marked twice and the 1st time it was marked he got an A2 but then it was remarked and he got an B3 :eek: he is getting both of them rechecked!!

gah the poor guy! im assumign its who i think it is.
    damn i feel sorry for him, hopefully he get sorted

I really dunno how i came out with an A1 in English based on my exam.. i have never written a worse essay ever i dont think..
    But i suppose i musta done something right.. :confused:

Oh and re: the Irish Conemara speaker, maybe the problem was the coloquilisms (sp?). Everywhere has local things that may not stand up when people from other areas read it.. and thats fair enough i think - just cos its "right" where youre from, it mightnt necessarily be "techincally" correct..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Apparently, apparently, there's a reason very good English papers are marked down. According to my English teacher, the best English students in her class consistently get bad grades. Now, maybe she's just making excuses, but her reasoning was that examiners have so many papers to get through that all they can do is scan through the essays quickly. Often, with better writing and more complicated sentences, this can make you miss a lot of the subtleties and can even come across as sounding cluttered or clumsy. In theory, a recheck should sort that out, but the process may well be repeated again.

There are three of us in my class who would have been expecting an A1. One of us got it, I got a B1 and the other (in my view the best of us) got a C1 or C2. It sounds awfully arrogant to use the above as an excuse, but I suppose it makes sense. At least that's what I'll tell myself for the timebeing...

• Advertisement

in my english class, there wouldve been 3 of us maybe who would have been expected to do pretty good, and the 3 of us got A1s, so i suppose that was on track.. dunno about the other results tho

oh and Attractive Nun, all due respect to your teacher, but it sounds like a stupid excuse.. "the best English students in her class consistently get bad grades" ?? hhmmmm...

my english teacher has been marking leaving cert englsih exams for years and years, and trust me, he would never eve just "scan through" an essay..

Rockerette wrote:
    in my english class, there wouldve been 3 of us maybe who would have been expected to do pretty good, and the 3 of us got A1s, so i suppose that was on track.. dunno about the other results tho

oh and Attractive Nun, all due respect to your teacher, but it sounds like a stupid excuse.. "the best English students in her class consistently get bad grades" ?? hhmmmm...

my english teacher has been marking leaving cert englsih exams for years and years, and trust me, he would never eve just "scan through" an essay..

No Attractive Nun's teacher is correct. I unfortunately missed out on the best Eng teacher in my school this year but he always maintained an interest in my work. When he saw the results he said he wanted to look at my script. He has been marking scripts for many, many years and is the Head of Dept. Many institutes (ahem) have tried to poach him, but he has stayed true to his belief in real teaching. Anyway he said the scripts were extremely badly marked and is making a complaint. So I trust him because he is an extremely nice man and inspirational teacher! I'm going to miss him! Anyway, point is, English is subjectively marked and thus many people get screwed over and many, who didn't earn it, do very well in their place

I agree that if any subject needs a change in its examination marking its English. People who do enough to get by can often get A1s by 'getting lucky'. Its quite ridiculous really. I wouldve been sour about it had I not done as well as I did

in case anyone thinks i got an A1 by fluke.. i didnt... my teacher was pretty much expecting one.. i just didnt think those particular exams went well..

And personally i dont know many people who "get lucky" with english exams. its one of the few exams where you cant study really, and your ability comes through, regardless of the question.. none of that "i was so lucky that experiment came up.. or that case study" or whatever.

but clearly we all have different opinions.

and sorry, but i still think that
    "According to my English teacher, the best English students in her class consistently get bad grades." - is a pile of balls!
    My class offers a 100% contradiction to that "theory"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Rockerette wrote:

and sorry, but i still think that
    "According to my English teacher, the best English students in her class consistently get bad grades." - is a pile of balls!
    My class offers a 100% contradiction to that "theory"...

I think this is right. Anybody correcting English at this level is able to spot a good writer from a bad one by the end of your first paragraph.

I think this is right. Anybody correcting English at this level is able to spot a good writer from a bad one by the end of your first paragraph.

exactly..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

isn't it a bit trivial that the majority of re-checks get marked up???

i mean... you're ultimately paying examiners to get you extra marks :rolleyes: once again a flawed system as it isn't fair on those who can't afford it.

(granted, you get it back if results change but still, some people couldn't afford it up front if you get say 6 subjects rechecked.)

smemon wrote:
    isn't it a bit trivial that the majority of re-checks get marked up???

i mean... you're ultimately paying examiners to get you extra marks :rolleyes: once again a flawed system as it isn't fair on those who can't afford it.

(granted, you get it back if results change but still, some people couldn't afford it up front if you get say 6 subjects rechecked.)

It was stated in the Irish TImes that inly 10% of rechecks are upgraded. It gave the figures for each subject last year, and, trust me, it sure as hell wasn't "the majority" in each subject.

In relation to being able to detect a good writer from a bad one, I've won numerous writing and journalism competitions in the last three years and I got a C1. My Head Of Dept. said a lot of English examiners don't read through the essays. They scan them for key words relating to the question. Yeah, great system.:rolleyes:

I wrote an essay my teacher gave me an A1 in, and in the actual exam i only got a B2 for it which was a bit ****ty, so I think that the essay marking is the main problem. Its easily the most subjective of the marking in the exam. The rest are marked quite well though id imagine. And my teacher marks hard before anyone says

• Advertisement

Papillon87 wrote:
    In relation to being able to detect a good writer from a bad one, I've won numerous writing and journalism competitions in the last three years and I got a C1. My Head Of Dept. said a lot of English examiners don't read through the essays. They scan them for key words relating to the question. Yeah, great system.:rolleyes:

Jee.... heaven forbid maybe its your own fault you got a C...?
    Maybe a bad set of essays or something? Dont try blame "the system" for that one

Advertisement