Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need points for hdip-HHEELLPP

• 02-09-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,
    Somehow i landed myself in a job that i am pretty much allergic to, I want to go back and do my hdip(which was my original plan til i got sucked in for 2 years) . I have 43 points-but i have a business type degree(BIS) which if i am correct requires 46 points...so this year i need to do 300 subbing hours. Problem is I can only start from Christmas...
    Why is there such a distinctio for business degrees-is this really fair?
    Do you need any teaching experience in any subjects to start subbing?
    How do you apply(do i need to angle my CV towards teaching) or just make a phone call?
    Are there loats of subbing /supervision hours available out there?
    Will it be possible to do 300 hours between christmas and summer?
    Will i Get paid?
    Does TEFL(which i plan to do next summer)count or work in a gaeltacht ?

And finally with a business background does it limit the subjects i could study to teach(i.e-dont want to teach business)

HHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP
    Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

300 hours between Christmas and Summer is only do-able on the basis of about 12 hours a week. For standard hours, this is a contract (over 11 hours) and must be advertised and interviewed for. You would be unlikely to pick up that number of hours subbing unless it was a very large school with a large teacher absentee problem - even then, sub teachers are not the first port of call, as many of the permanent and part-time staff may have signed up for the supervision and substitution deal and they have to be given sub hours first.

You will teach the subjects in your degree, except in a small minority of cases.

I wouldn't count TEFL as teaching experience as it can just consist of chatting to advance speakers.

There are not loads of subbing hours out there. See above about teachers signing up for the supervision and substitution deal.

I don't know how the points for the H. Dip. work. Certain colleges seem to rule out people who did not achieve high marks in certain years of college, which is a nonsense in terms of who makes a good teacher.

To apply for hours you either call in to a school, send a CV (remember they get hundreds), or get on a VEC panel. You need to do it now though as people will be established come Christmas and schools will be unlikely to want a new person half way through the year.

If you do sub hours you will be paid.

Your best option might be a maternity leave for business subjects - you could get the full 300 hours that way, though how willing a school would be to let an unqualified, inexperienced person take over from a full-time teacher, I don't know. You would be likely to get at least one class to prepare for exam.

I think you need to think it all through a bit more. Why, if you intended to teach, did you do a business degree if you do not want to teach business subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

And finally with a business background does it limit the subjects i could study to teach(i.e-dont want to teach business)

What the hell are you expecting to teach other than business?!?

How would you feel if you were being taught a subject by a teacher who had no actual qualification?

Regards, Ciaran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

sunnyjim wrote:

How would you feel if you were being taught a subject by a teacher who had no actual qualification?

Regards, Ciaran.

He can start teaching business and then be assigned to subjects studied during third level such as maths at JC level, and many other JC level subjects and appointments. A BIS degree is very broad and would qualify the holder to teach LC Business, LC/JC IT, and probably a few other subjects too.

In fact Ciaran.. Im pretty sure you were taught things from teachers who didnt have them on their list of subjects studied at third level.

You're priceless quote:
    sunnyjim wrote:
    leads me to believe you may not know a lot about the diversity of a business information systems degree at all, and the systems used in secondary schools when choosing teachers to teach JC subjects.

Also.. tone down your responses please. Less of the How the Hells.. This is a place of peace, and I will keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

sunnyjim wrote:

Regards, Ciaran.

Theres loads a stuff you could teach....buisness,economics accountancy.....Even CSPE and LCVP!! I'm a engineering/drawing teacher who has been teaching maths CSPE LCVP...the lot & I'm only 2 yrs out!!
    Keep at it.

Dont worry about havin to do an interview above 11 hours (its crap!!)...once you get your foot in a door they can interview you then...
    Try Community schools and independantly run secondary schools....they're principals have more freedom then VEC run community colleges

Advertisement