Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write a cheque

Options
  • 02-09-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

If the amount in figures is EUR 2,150.79
    then
    what should the amount in words be? I think it's as you would say it but that leaves three options

Two thousand one hundred and fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how most people here would read the figure)
    or
    Two thousand and one hundred and fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how a robot would read the figure)
    or
    Two thousand one hundred fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how an american would read the figure)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

all 3 things say the same.
    differences in grammar are irrlevant on a cheque.

the idea is so that the numerical amount is not open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

vector wrote:
    If the amount in figures is EUR 2,150.79
    then
    what should the amount in words be? I think it's as you would say it but that leaves three options

Two thousand one hundred and fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how most people here would read the figure)
    or
    Two thousand and one hundred and fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how a robot would read the figure)
    or
    Two thousand one hundred fifty euro and seventy-nine cent (which is how an american would read the figure)

I always used the one marked in bold but use the one below as in the US for example $110.80 people would write "One hundred and ten dollars and 80/100".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Ruu wrote:
    I always used the one marked in bold but use the one below as in the US for example $110.80 people would write "One hundred and ten dollars and 80/100".

yes, writing figures on the words line is another issue, while it saves a few seconds on writing, the very reason the amount in words line exists is because figures alone are too easily altered. so if you gave me a cheque that said "and 80/100" in the words line, I could change that to 88/100 and do the same in the figures box. or better still a "10/100" could be changed to "98/100"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Funny, I write as

Two thousand one hundred and fifty euro and 79c only!

I always use the only. Re the cent being changed, it's hardly worth the effort.

Advertisement