Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6233 on Meteor, buying in CarphoneWarehouse.

• 02-09-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Come next pay check I'm signin up for meteor talk 400 the free calls/texts offer. I'm gonna get the 6233 from CPW for 99, a few questions 'cause I'm at work and don't have time to call meteor or cpw.

If I get it from CPW will there be branding on it? I know meteor don't generally brand their phones, but do CPW? I'm specifically looking for Flash texts to still be available, but I suppose I can always go to a nokia repair centre and get it debranded.

2nd,I know there are a few meteor employee's on boards. :) I'm on meteors free texts for life... been on it since it came out, so unlike those who have only signed up recently, I have free MMS as well. If I change over to bill pay, will I lose these?

I'm probably gonna get the phone/call plan anyway, but would like to know ahead of time. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1. Generally, all Nokias have branding with Meteor. Bar the N91.

2. You'll lose your entire old plan, including free texts. You'll then get the new plan, which is free texts and calls. You cannot go back to your old plan again, and if you do go back to PaYG, you will have to go back to the Anytime Plus tariff (or Leisure Time Plus or International Plus).

Oh, and Meteor won't be able to tell you anything about the Nokia 6233 (other than it's an ugly, ugly phone) as they don't sell it. Only CPW do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My 6230i was unbranded (bar some wallpaper) and unlocked when i signed with Meteor last year. Think thats still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Oh, and Meteor won't be able to tell you anything about the Nokia 6233 (other than it's an ugly, ugly phone) as they don't sell it. Only CPW do.[/QUOTE]

The phone is unbranded and unlocked in CPW. Meteor MMS settings can be downloaded in store - just ask the sales guy.

My 6230i was unbranded (bar some wallpaper) and unlocked when i signed with Meteor last year. Think thats still the case.

It's not the case now. The only unbranded phones that Meteor have are the SE W810i, Moto V3, N91 and I believe the V3i is as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least, Meteor branding is never awfully bad even when present. Most of the dozens of Meteor originating phones I've been through had minor branding such as start up screens and the like, but not a patch on Vodafones butchery.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    At least, Meteor branding is never awfully bad even when present. Most of the dozens of Meteor originating phones I've been through had minor branding such as start up screens and the like, but not a patch on Vodafones butchery.
    Agreed. I think O2's branding is fine too. But in most cases Vodafone screw phones up beyond belief. The only exceptions I know of are the Nokia 6630 and 6680 where the branding can be mostly hidden.

To be honest, I dislike all branding, especially physical branding (3, Vodafone, I'm looking at you). O2 and Meteor just have software branding which is easy to get rid of. Physical requires new fascias. Pain.

Yep, had to get new covers for my 6680 last week to clean it up. Spent about 5 minutes trying to convince the guy in a Dawson Street shop that you actually can remove the covers without a screwdriver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

yrrag1974 wrote:
    The phone is unbranded and unlocked in CPW. Meteor MMS settings can be downloaded in store - just ask the sales guy.

Thats me sorted anyway. The 6233 is just a stop gap between my broken k750 and an n73. :)

I'll probably get it next paycheck, thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

is it available pay as u go as well?

• Advertisement

Looking through the lastest CPW magazine it seems the phone is only available on meteor bill pay.

Decided to renew my contract with Meteor this morning. Got the 6233 from the Carphone Warehouse (Meteor Stores didn't have it) - phone is generic nokia, unlocked and no branding whatsoever; not even the Meteor Wallpaper that came on my old 6230i.

What do you think of it so far? Unlocked is deadly, definately gettin it pay day.

Loving it so far. Keypad, while good, isn't as easy to use as 6230i. Lot of handy new features on this version of series 40. Don't like active standby though. Battery life so far is vast improvement on 6230i. Screen is excellent. Had one reset when i tried to reply to an MMS (version 3.7). Would recommend it alright.

Can't find Wallet. Which was a feature i used all the time on the old one.

I have a 6280 (locked to three) so I'm pretty used to the latest addition of series 40. Battery life is what I really need. What's CPW's return policy on "unwanted" phones, i.e. I'm not completely happy with the phone, but there's no real fault with it.

You probably have a cooling down period of 14 days. Just go back into them, tell them you're not happy with it and say you would like to exchange. If the phone is in perfect nick, they shouldn't have a problem. If they do have a problem, you can always just cancel the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭newtothis

Did any of you check the nokia 6234, is exactly the same as the 6233 just looks different(compare at www.gsmarena.com) and its €199 on vodafone ready to go.

Yeah, I'd look at it, if I weren't getting an unlocked and debraned phone for half the price with the exact same spec and IMO a better keypad :)

@OJ: If you go into Messages > Create Message. Is there an option for "Flash Message"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 assasinator

Decided to renew my contract with Meteor this morning. Got the 6233 from the Carphone Warehouse (Meteor Stores didn't have it) - phone is generic nokia, unlocked and no branding whatsoever; not even the Meteor Wallpaper that came on my old 6230i.

Handy having a 3G phone on a 2G network.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

chrislad wrote:
    You probably have a cooling down period of 14 days. Just go back into them, tell them you're not happy with it and say you would like to exchange. If the phone is in perfect nick, they shouldn't have a problem. If they do have a problem, you can always just cancel the contract.

Ask before you buy. I'm not sure this is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 LuciferGary

dose CPW have the black one ?:)

dose CPW have the black one ?:)

Yes, that's what I bought. Think the silver one looks awful. Amazing the difference a small thing like colour can have on a phones aesthetics.

Pythia wrote:
    Ask before you buy. I'm not sure this is the case.

Yeah, I planned on asking anyway. :)
    Yes, that's what I bought. Think the silver one looks awful. Amazing the difference a small thing like colour can have on a phones aesthetics.

I quite like the silver, but the black one does look an awful lot more classy. Are fingerprints a problem with the black? Not a deciding factor, will probably ask to take a look at both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Yeah, I planned on asking anyway. :)

I quite like the silver, but the black one does look an awful lot more classy. Are fingerprints a problem with the black? Not a deciding factor, will probably ask to take a look at both.

Got the black one over the weekend and have to say im delighted with it. Keyboard is really really solid, much more so than the silver one on the 6234 (at least from playing with the 6234 demo models) - its not a question of different colour, its a different keyboard altogether. Menus are very responsive and overall just has a real solid professional feel to it.

I have come from a much hated sony erricson but to my surprise there are some sony features i miss - for example to ability to assign nav key shortcuts to any available menu option - i had both inbox and sent items on my nav keys, neither of which are available on the 6233. I also miss the auto smileys in the sony - if you pressed the 1 key in sucession in predictive mode, it assumed three presses meant a smiley and offered u a choice.

However, I wanted the 6233 as a replacement for my 6230i (which i lost while in contract, hence the cheap sony) and it fits that bill perfectly.

One final point - the meteor website only offers settings for MMS and WAP for the 6233 - anyone managed to get GPRS working? I'm lost without my mini-opera!

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

ISP GPRS
    Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Advertisement