Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice

Options
  • 02-09-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi there

I have a 4 month old male pet Rabbit ...m wondering if anybody knows the best time to neuter him ....is he still too young .

not happy about doing it to him as he is a very pleasant & happy rabbit but i have read that it is better for them to be nuetered

any advise would be great
    Thx:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Males can be neutered as soon as the testicles descend, usually around 3-1/2 months of age, but many veterinarians prefer to wait until they are 5 months old according to here. Make sure that you bring him to a vet that knows what they are doing as they might not be too experienced with rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Thats great ..reckon ill wait another month or two ...
    Another quick question ...i have him homed outside in a hutch at the moment ...do you think i should move him inside for the winter .... i have read that rabbits are happier if they are homed inside but im not too happy having a rather large hutch inside ....but i dont want hime to die of the cold .....

any advise ...:o :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wouldn't be 100% sure but I reckon you could keep him inside during the night if you can. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he's not with any other rabbits then you can leave it until he is 5 to 6 months of age, many vets won't do it until they are 6 months although it can be done earlier. Neutering males is a quick operation and very sucessful although there is a risk with any anesthetic but nowdays vets use a much safer one, and if you can find a good experienced exotics vet he will be fine. Keep him warm and indoors until his stitches are out and he will need a bucket collar on him until the stitches are out, usually 10 days later. Make sure he is not fasting and get him eating as soon as possible after the op, the vet should make sure he's nibbling at his food at least before he leaves, he might be a bit too tired to eat at first but usually males come round quickly. Keep him restricted to an area and don't let him climb or jump on things until he's healed.

Definetly move him in during his op. it's better to keep rabbits indoors in winter they aren't as hardy as people think and some are prone to snuffles which can be fatal and the cold and damp weather can cause it.

It'll also be handier for you, you won't have to spend the miserable wet winter days outside cleaning him out if he's indoors. If you can allocate a room for him all the better, they are easy to litter train plus it gives you more oppertunity to get to know him and he'll become more cheeky and fun to watch, he'll also love the company.

Best of luck with his op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Thank for the advise ... ill definitly leave it for another while..and you a right they are very funny to watch & he loves to get into the house to run ...soo I reckon he wouldnt have problem with moving in doors for the cold months..
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement