Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers

Options
  • 02-09-2006 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Notice that a lot of people support Green Bay...presume its all right to have a thread to comment on the forthcoming season....

I have followed the Pack since the 80s Lindy Infante an all that...been to Lambeau for a few games....so...

Poor pre season for GB.. 1-3.... I know that pre-season is no indicator but I also think that .500 will be good for the Pack this season....I listened to the game yesterday vs Titans and 3rd down defence was poor as it has been ...So any packers fans maybe we can use this thread to discuss the Packers games and do a bit of bitching or praising!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I'm also a Packers man.

I'm expecting a much better season than last year though. New coach will hopefully bring some fresh ideas. Hopefully our draft picks will do some damage.

It's going to be a few seasons before we are a dominant force again though but it will happen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm not expecting much this season.... O-Line is re jigged... new center ..rookies etc...Kicker gone and a shaky one brought in....New coach...hopefully linebacking corps will step up with nick barnett and AJ hawk putting pressure on teams... but I am looking forward to an interesting season which will be a stepping stone to better things

Just noticed packers do not feature in any of Sky's coverage for first four weeks of the NFL.... subject to change ..but i guess we will not see them in Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Packers' fan here since '82, the days of James Lofton!

The pre-season is notoriously difficult to judge a team by, but they look dodgy. Their runners seem to be going well, and Greg Jennings seems to be something of a find, so I'm hopeful, rather than expectant. Tough first one; should tell a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

GO Pack Go eh!

Dont think we can realistically expect much, this is pretty much a brand new team. A rookie O-Line is not going to help anybody, what made Favre throw so many INTs last season was the fact there was a very poor running game so we had to pass the ball more add a few injures and your 4-12.

We have a Monday night game in 12th of Oct that'll probaily be on Five.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geoff_nfl

hey i supported packers for years and havent seen them play like they did in their great days coz im only 16 but am hoping they make a big comeback in the next few years!!!!!! well i think the packers will do alright this season. i was looking up the play by play on nfl.com and saw favre threw an 89 pass yesterday against the titans!!!!!! i also think aj hawk will give some strenght to our defense this year compared to last year anyway!!! about our run game, well awful last year other than gado's few exceptional games!!!! ahmen green seemed to play well but lets see how he does in the real season. what does anybody think of aaron rodgers?????

Rogers won't get much snap time unless Favre is injured or has a few total disasters...I lost a post to the system in which I agreed with the fact that the o-Line is shaky and .500 is the best I can hope for... unfortunately I don't get channel 5 and Packers radio network is the best i can hope for with Wayne Larravee and Larry McCarron.

I see they have released Najeh Davenport... cuts down the short yardage options I would think....Surprising???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I see they have released Najeh Davenport... cuts down the short yardage options I would think....Surprising???
    Very. He mustn't have recovered very well from the injury he suffered last year (knee I think). I think the Bay will struggle to get to 8-8. I think allowing Favre back was a mistake to a certain extent because there'll be a bigger weight of expectation on the team as a result. O-line is a mess, receiving options aren't great, i think green at rb is past it... think they'll struggle to score this season.

Agree on most points..however they would NEVER be forgiven if they 'cut' Favre... has to be allowed to end it HIS way...

Not so sure A Green is past it.... IMO no matter how good a RB is he will struggle behind an O-line which doesn't punch out the holes for him,and that is part of the problem with the running game.Ever since Frankie Winters retired, the pack O seemed to lack the abrasion required to dominate opposing D's...he was a good one was bag a donuts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

be forgiven if they 'cut' Favre... has to be allowed to end it HIS way...
    I was under impression Packers asked him to come back and he thought long and hard about it and decided to. If they hadn't asked he would have retired and the long, boring circus of will he won't he over the summer could have been avoided (it's been going on for a few years now and is getting boring). That would have avoided the need to cut him, and I agree I don't think he should have been. They were also worried he might end up somewhere else. At some stage they have to find out if Rodgers has what it takes. Personally I would have thought this was the year. Favre has already hinted that if the season goes badly he'll sit on the bench if needs be to allow Rodgers be groomed. What's the point. He doesn't need the paycheck.
    As for Green his rushing average has gone from 5.3, to 4.5 to 3.3 (albeit he obviously got injured last year). That obviously has something to do with the line but also hints that he mightn't have it anymore. I see going 6-10 at best

Yeah... what I really meant was that Favre had to tell the Pack he was retiring and was done with football...as long as he was interested I reckon they felt obliged to give him a chance.. and rightly so.

Even in poor form he is better than most NFL QB's..

What about that guy Brady Quinn as the new man... what would that take... a miracle..or a very bad season:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Been a Packers fan for last couple of years but have not followed this offseason too closely. however glancing through the roster i noticed there was no sign of Javon Walker. was he released or traded? i am no expert but i thought he the best recieving option the Pack had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gonna be a tough season for you lot i think. 5-11 is how you lads will finish.

What about that guy Brady Quinn as the new man...

:D Thanks for cheering me up! Wont seem as bad if we are 0-10 into the season. Should be an interesting game against the bears on sunday an o-line with more holes than a golf course against a extremely strong D.

csk wrote:
    Been a Packers fan for last couple of years but have not followed this offseason too closely. however glancing through the roster i noticed there was no sign of Javon Walker. was he released or traded? i am no expert but i thought he the best recieving option the Pack had.

yes ..he is gone... under a bit of a cloud... not sure where ...Denver I think as a trade..also gone C Flanagan K Longwell..NT Jackson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

yes ..he is gone... under a bit of a cloud... not sure where ...Denver I think as a trade..also gone C Flanagan K Longwell..NT Jackson
    it is a pity walker is gone. i hope they at least got a good trade. flanagan will be severly missed.
    hopefully woodson will add some much needed class and consistency to CB.
    however with a diminishing Favre at the helm i can only see bad things and we'll be lucky to go 8-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

I'm a fan also.

I can see something around 5-11 to 7-9. Should be enough to keep McCarthy in a job as expectations are so low. For the first time in recent years, it'll be the defense that wins a few games and has to make up for the offense. They need Woodson to play like he can and they could be a top 7 unit. The offense is awful though, especiall the interior of the line. Green will be running into a wall all season, and he's already hit the wall of his own anyway. Favre is no longer top 15 in the league and the receivers are very thin, although Jennings looks to be a find, even though he won't be a Walker.
    McCarthy's appointment was dubious to say the least (I'd have went with Bates or even made an attempt at keeping Sherman as HC only) but I'd have more faith things are going in the right direction with Thompson as GM. Sherman's moves and drafting were atrocious and this team this season is the result of that.

Najeh Davenport picked up by the Steelers... just as a matter of interest what do people think about the new Packers website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geoff_nfl

so whats the predictions for tonight packers v bears?????? i think 21-14 to the packers.

• Advertisement

Oooh ...that would do just grand..... unfortunately cannot see the Pack winning despite being at home.

One way or t'other they need to produce a good display of hardnosed smashmouth football to set things up for the season....

17-3 Bears.

Disasterville 0-25.. at home!!!!!

Can it get worse???

Yes it can

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes it can: 26-0.

Oops. Bring back Mike Sherman!!

Slow coach wrote:
    Yes it can: 26-0.

Oops. Bring back Mike Sherman!!

And Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren and ..and God:mad:

Although I believe Chicago will most likely win the NFC, it's just not good enough against your biggest rival at home.

Brady Quinn's playing pretty good....

We'll find out by midseason if McCarthy is serious about building a team. If they're at 2 or less wins and Favre is still starting then something will be wrong. That goes for any other near-retirement vets like William Henderson.
    Brady Quinn's playing pretty good....

Adrian Peterson looks better to me...

Padwick wrote:
    We'll find out by midseason if McCarthy is serious about building a team. If they're at 2 or less wins and Favre is still starting then something will be wrong. That goes for any other near-retirement vets like William Henderson.

Adrian Peterson looks better to me...

yeah... spot on there..... William is recovering from surgery I believe.... aaaalmost ready.

I can't understand why they don't use Bubba Franks in more passing plays.... jaysus 6' 6" 250... He's big enough to make the catches on the concrete.

other teams seem to use the TE a lot more in these situations.... but I'm no expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

So how're you Packers fans enjoying McCarthy? ;) As a Niners fan (and a Favre fan) my thoughts when I saw him being hired by the Packers were "There's another Mike McCarthy coaching in the NFL?". Look at his great coaching career... Aaron Brooks and Alex Smith in year 1.

I've a funny feeling the Packers will be worse than the Niners were last year.

I was surprised Favre came back at all. I've yet to hear anythign good about Aaron Rodgers since before he was drafted.

At least yee have a got shot at winning the Brady Quinn sweepstakes. He's deffo got real pro potential. He's not just a 1 college year flash in the pan with a big arm.

I wouldn't take an RB in the 1st. It's a waste. QB is risky but you got to take a chance on real potential.

Advertisement