Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Not lookin good Joe ..but we live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I wish they picked up Steve Mariucci when he left the Niners.
    Sure the guy is from Upper Michigan grew up a Packer fan and even played for them in his pro career.
    At least it'd be easier to stomach a poor season me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

2 or 3 years ago, Sky read my email that proclaimed Mooch to be a camera mugging, idiot. Boy, was I right! I was doing my happy dance when he was kicked out of San Fran. I'd been listening to Niners games live for two seasons and 1 thing shone through for me... he had no confidence in his own passing game when it came to crunch time. He'd decide to run, run, run in the 4th even if we only had a slender lead. Even on 3rd and long, he'd break out a run. We lost several games in his last season due to this.

It was clear he was the same in Detroit, as well as molly-coddling the players including those Michel Irvin pre-madonnas that they drafted in the 1st, three years running. Training camp was way too soft under him. The Niners run defence would suck for the first month in the regular season because they had so little live tackliong practice in camp.

The Packers may be up $^% creek right now with McCarthy but they'd be much worse off with Mooch.

What'll happen next year? If I was a young hopeful coach I'd steer clear of Green Bay. Favre was talking about sticking around for next year too. That's not good. I loved/hated/feared/admired the guy when he was in his prime but he's past it now. I wouldn't want to be the guy who ousts a legend. And what is there to replace him with? Rodgers does not appear to be the answer. The rest of the roster stinks, much like the Niners last year. I'd be fearful that the franchise has regressed to a point where it's unattractive to players now so they will be harder to both attract and keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

The thing is though that McCarthy will get another year (unless he loses the players during the course of the season) even if the record is horrific because Thompson knows he hasn't given him much to play with this season. Whereas the Ray Rhodes team had higher expectations and stumbled to .500. Even though the current talent level on the roster is lower than in the Sherman days, I still believe the team are paying for Sherman's mistakes and I like where Thomson is going with the team more for the future.
    I'd still have hired Jim Bates though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HeadOfTheManor

we cant take Brady Quinn, we have too much money invested in Aaron Rogers....what we need to do is exactly what the Jets did this year, draft an offensive line, that way we can protect whatever guy we have under centre

• Advertisement

Whoah ho... 34-27 defeat by the Saints at home..... Coulda won... shoulda won... shoulda rammed it down their throats in the first qtr and put the game outa sight..... Waaaaaaaah

Anyone know how many snaps Aaron Rodgers has had in regular season? Is is a restricted FA next Feb? If so, what are they going to judge him on? The Packers may consider what they have invested to be a lot now but mid-low 1st round money is nothing compared to what they will have to pay next Feb to keep him while he remains "Mr. Potential".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

thats true but we still need an offensive line first, and you dont have to Draft someone to become QB, most are not ready the first year, just look at Leinert!

i would prefer to go down the road of the Saints and Dolphins in looking for a decent free agant QB, that way after drafting an offensive line we can protect him, and maybe get a running game going

Boomer23 wrote:
    i would prefer to go down the road of the Saints and Dolphins in looking for a decent free agant QB, that way after drafting an offensive line we can protect him, and maybe get a running game going

Can understand that but here's my thinking. I can only see one quality backup QB out there who I'd consider (that kid in Atlanta at #2 QB). And I'm sure the Raiders and Dolphins are second guessing the FA starting QB pickups right now. Don't get me started on the Titans either :eek:

I would not wait until I have a stable team to draft a young QB. By the time the QB is up to NFL speed you'd have lost half the team to free agency.

I'd consider the draft and sit the draftee for 2 years. In those 2 years he'd be learning from a decent veteran, probably not a pro-bowler but someone who knows the ropes and is willing to teach, e.g. a Trent Dilfer type. In those two years, I'd draft O linemen, CB's and DE's with high picks. I'd also have the young QB in class every day of the off-season. This works wonders with a QB ... see the difference between Jeff Garcia when he first replaced Steve Young versus his second year. The big improvement is only seen after year two when they've had a full off season with the team. I'd pay bonuses to WR's and TE's to be around the campus in the off season to work on timing (look at the timing/relationship the Cinci and Indy QB's have). Then in year 3 ... that QB in on the field. Some QB's you can accelerate, sure. The ones who played in pro offenses in college against top competion can play earlier but anyone else sits for me.

"24-21 Packers...early in the third.... Pack as usual giving up the big pass plays.... ... could be a slugfest.....

• Advertisement

joe_elway wrote:
    Can understand that but here's my thinking. I can only see one quality backup QB out there who I'd consider (that kid in Atlanta at #2 QB).

yeah, i like Matt Shaub as well, but there a lot of people looking at him this off-season....only reason he didnt go was the question marks surrounding Michael Vicks future as a starter. with the way Vick has started i can see Shaub going at the end of this season, and hopefully to the Packers, i see him as the best hybrid QB in the league (can scramble but can pocket pass as well)
    joe_elway wrote:
    And I'm sure the Raiders and Dolphins are second guessing the FA starting QB pickups right now

yeah, Raiders, Dolphins and Ravens....but look at what they took....running QB's. They dont last more then 5-6 years, look at Young and Garcia, a few amazing seasons, then injury, then crap.....running QB's, by nature, get injured by putting themselves in harms way so longevity is a no-no, so after an injury taking them is bound to fail................New Orleans saw this and took an injured Brees over everyone else

Woooo 31-24 Pack... ugly ..but wel'l take it:D :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geoff_nfl

hey a wins a win!!!!!!! did anyone get to watch the match??????? i could only see some highlights which were of mostly the lions!!!!!

Boomer23 wrote:
    yeah, i like Matt Shaub as well, but there a lot of people looking at him this off-season....only reason he didnt go was the question marks surrounding Michael Vicks future as a starter. with the way Vick has started i can see Shaub going at the end of this season, and hopefully to the Packers, i see him as the best hybrid QB in the league (can scramble but can pocket pass as well)

.... look at Young .... a few amazing seasons, then injury, then crap

Steve Young was pretty old when he had to reture. He'd way too many years making more money than most starters while he warmed the bench. Concussions really wrecked him... though the really bad one resulted by a complete whiff-block in pass-protection by Lawrence Phillips.

Matt Schaub is going to get really rich next Spring. He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

joe_elway wrote:
    Concussions really wrecked him

yeah, he had way too many, became dangerous, but it was only because of the type of QB he was, Manning will never have a problem with concussions because he is a pocket passer, only running QB's get hurt that bad on a regulat basis. its dangerous being a RB and and QB at once.

and the only reason he went on so long was his name, The Great Young, why else is Garcia a backup in Phillly, his "name" as the west coast master......we all saw how good he was last season in Detroit.

i do agree with Shaub though, gonna be a very rich boy

Re Steve Young
    Boomer23 wrote:
    yeah, he had way too many, became dangerous, but it was only because of the type of QB he was, Manning will never have a problem with concussions because he is a pocket passer

I agree Manning may never have the same concussion problem. I disagree about the reason, though. Young didn't run as much in the 90's as he did when he was younger. Did he run? Yes. A modern NFL QB has to be able to run to be effective. Concussions generally came because he was getting sacked and hit behind the line. Part of the problem was the old mangement regime refused to draft O Linement before the 4th round so it became swiss cheese.

But the real difference between Young and Manning is Young wanted to win. Young would hold onto that ball to make a pass. He put himself at more risk of taking head shots. Manning is a regular season player. He and his brother are no better than their Dad. He may put up huge numbers but he collapses mentally when it counts.

I don't buy the argument that runing QB's are more prone to concussions. I think it's the opposite. If you're in the pocket you are prone and not able to move/protect yourself when things collapse. If you hook-slide your head is left wide open, e.g. Trent Green. If you run and protect yourself you are less likely to take concussions. I am against taking it too far, e.g. a younger Steve Young or Mike Vick. That's just asking to be taken apart and a quality oppostion can scheme that out of your gameplan to hurt you.

Evidence? How many running backs retire because of concussions? Much lower % than QB's. Who gets hit more? RB's. Is a RB's skull/brain constructed differently? I hope not. Do RB's have higher quality helmets? No. RB's run aggresivle but protect themselves. QB's should be taught to so the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Have to agree with Joe elway here. If a QB scrambles he generally slides or goes out of bounds before the tackle. Of course Elways helicopter comes to mind, but thats more the exception than the rule.

Hesu... Another bad beating in Philly last night... no touchdown scored....St Louis in Lambeau next week.... 1-4... lookin likely:( :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hesu... Another bad beating in Philly last night... no touchdown scored....St Louis in Lambeau next week.... 1-4...

Detroit scored 34 against the Rams, away, so Favre is gonna have a field day. 2-3.

Coach I wish I could believe you...

Packers are rudderless.....only Aaron Kampmann seems to be the only one to show a bit of spunk.... Remember #36 Leroy Butler..#52Frankie Winters.... #25Dorsey Levens...#93Gilbert Brown...Reggie White and Sean Jones...two best ends ever for the Pack.. Santana Dotson...#73?

Anyway I take solace in the fact you believe the Pack will roll over the Rams

Il'l have a fcukin beer if you are right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

Hey all, I'm a Kerryman living in Wisconsin and the mood here is not that good. Packers are a shambles, they still have the best fans in the nation they sell out that stadium no matter what. The bears will take some beating this year, 6/1 for the superbowl from ladbrokes btw.

If anyone has Sky Digital, the Packers-Rams game is on tonight on the red button option. Yay! Might be the last chance to see #4 in action.

Hey, Kerryman, must be proud this year, great performances from the boys.

Here's hoping for tonight: 45-34!!

Jaysus.....!!!!!

What a way to end a game.1st-10 on the Rams 10 and had the ball stripped and recovered by the Rams...

Mwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa mwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geoff_nfl

for all the packers bad games last night wasnt 1 of them!!!!!! i thought there blocking was the best all season (minus the last play) the zone coverage worked quite well. the defence looked a bit more confident and aggressive. the offense though!!!!! 2 fumbles i was ready to turn the game off (lol) but then herron what a game!!!!!! and greg jennings looks spectacular with brett favre. it may have been a loss but the packers looked far better than the last few matches and seem to be on the right track!!! some good news!!!!

what everyone else think of the match?????

I only heard it on the radio,and it was a cracking game.

Packers D was good...Packers O dropped a few passes and apparently Woodson should have had one interception for the D.

All in all a good performance with Noah Herron doing very well and greg jennings also doing the biz..... not all gloom and doom..you are right there poster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It's going to be a very long season for the 'Cheeseheads'.

Arizona and Detroit should be wins.

San Francisco possibly.

They could very easily end the season with 13 losses unless somehow they turn this season around.

I honestly don't see that happening.

It was a good game, apart from that last play.

Jennings is the real deal, and Herron looks a decent backup for Green. The blockers are getting it together, and the defence is improving, especially the front seven. Favre still has it, but he still gets a bit overexcited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nice one!!!

Obviously fond of the sauce or whatever.

Can't see the Pack gettin any good out of him now,loads of "previous".

• Advertisement

I am confidently expecting the Packers to beat Miami on Sunday.

I see some light at the end of the tunnel

Advertisement