Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow

• 02-09-2006 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

With all the activity on this forum, its hard for me to get a word in edgeways, :rolleyes: but is anybody starting first year in Waterford this year? If so, what course and where did u find accomodation?

WD048 - Honours Bachelor in Business Studies, but looking to transfer at the end of first year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

Second Year,
    Welcome When you say you are transferring at the end of the first year do u mean to another course in a university or college else ware. If it's to another course in wit you will have to transfer to a different course well before end of the year more like before the end of October. AS far as i am aware
    Archimedes wrote:
    With all the activity on this forum, its hard for me to get a word in edgeways, :rolleyes: but is anybody starting first year in Waterford this year? If so, what course and where did u find accomodation?

WD048 - Honours Bachelor in Business Studies, but looking to transfer at the end of first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cheers for the info, but I intend to transfer to DCU or Trinity's Business courses. Nothing against Waterford or anything, but its personal reasons that I need to be in Dublin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

I'm starting first year. WD028 - applied computing. Know nothing about college. Everything I got is just to come in on Wednesday for registration. I don't know timetables or anything, nothing at all...
    Could someone tell how long a day in college is? how many hours per week? In school i used to start at 9am and finish at 3.46pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think it varies depending on your course, Im sure someone who did the course could tell you or youll probably find out on Wednesday. I have to be in to register at 9:30am myself...

Archimedes wrote:
    I think it varies depending on your course, Im sure someone who did the course could tell you or youll probably find out on Wednesday. I have to be in to register at 9:30am myself...

Hmm, same time for me. I though they are trying to give everybody different time to avoid queues etc…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

The college day in WIT starts at 9.15am and ends at 5pm.

Each lecture starts at 15 mins past the hour, eg. 9.15am, 10.15am, 11.15am etc., till the last at 4.15pm

In theory lectures last a full hour, but in realirty most lecturers (in first year anyway) tend to leave you out on the hour (after 45 minutes). This tends to fizzle out towards your final year, where most of your lecturers will keep you till a quarter past.

It's also important to note that you don't have a lecture every hour! That would be hell. You're really only in class half the time, with about 20-30 hours/lectures per week depending on your course. For the majority, most people have the afternoon off on a Friday, and also most days you won't be in at 9 or out at 5, unless you're unlucky.

In fact, by the time I finished college, we all freaked out if we had more than 3 lectures in a row! It actually turns you pretty lazy.

Oh, and in first year, all the time off between lectures is a killer! You'll learn to appreciate it when they start doling out projects though.

Arch - are you still looking for accomodation? It may be a little difficult at this stage!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paul_D wrote:
    I'm starting first year. WD028 - applied computing. Know nothing about college. Everything I got is just to come in on Wednesday for registration. I don't know timetables or anything, nothing at all...
    Could someone tell how long a day in college is? how many hours per week? In school i used to start at 9am and finish at 3.46pm

Hey,

I just completed 1st year of that course! Nice course, Maths was tough for me tho. Your in from 9-5 most days, with an hour off for lunch and about I think 15mins or something at 11. Mostly in lecture rooms, not much in the IT. Tho in Semester 2 they changed to putting us in on two days a week in the IT Building for most of the day -- it wasnt pretty -- for the same subject.

You wont get your timetable really for weeks. It will keep changing, and lecturers wont turn up cause they werent told or had to be somewhere else. So the first few weeks is grand :) Your course will start of medium sized but by Semester 2 it will get small to about 5 or 6. Thats happened so far in other years and in my year.

If you are into computers, maths and physics - you will love it. Otherwise, you might find it tough. Maths is the toughest (well, thats how I and others felt but personaly Maths is my weakest subject no matter where I am!!).

Any questions - send me a PM :)

Thanks Newaglish and Sully04 for you replies.
    It's also important to note that you don't have a lecture every hour! That would be hell. You're really only in class half the time, with about 20-30 hours/lectures per week depending on your course.

What would I suppose to do with all that spare hours?

Your course will start of medium sized but by Semester 2 it will get small to about 5 or 6.

5 or 6, what? People?

If you are into computers, maths and physics - you will love it.

That’s why I picked this course. Even though I haven’t got desired results in these subjects in my LC, I still hope I will be ok.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paul_D wrote:
    What would I suppose to do with all that spare hours?

Hang about with friends, go to the cafetria/dome/gallery/it building? As the year goes on, you will have plenty of work to do anyway!
    5 or 6, what? People?

Yup. I dont think computers are big courses anyway in WIT, but Applied is pretty small. Good in ways tho. :)
    That’s why I picked this course. Even though I haven’t got desired results in these subjects in my LC, I still hope I will be ok.

OK Well its more honours leaving cert maths (mixed with that extra-hard maths subject "Applied Maths" which some take on in LC). In semester 1 you get (im assuming its gonna be the same for ye)::

Logic,
    Sets,
    Permutations & Combinations,
    Recurance Relations (an absolute bitch, nobody did it. He gave us an assignment on it - only one or two even tried to attempt it. In the end, it wasnt counted with our results to be fair).

Semester 2::

Complex Numbers,
    (Cant recall the second topic for sure)
    Diffrenciation,
    Integration.

You will get some lecturers who will give you good "hints" on whats coming up in there exams, some who will help you a small bit and others who refuse quite blank to assist at all. If you get the same Maths lecturer as us, he will keep you in for the full length of the class and is pretty strict on attendance. :|

Sully04 wrote:
    OK Well its more honours leaving cert maths (mixed with that extra-hard maths subject "Applied Maths" which some take on in LC). In semester 1 you get (im assuming its gonna be the same for ye)::

Logic,
    Sets,
    Permutations & Combinations,
    Recurance Relations (an absolute bitch, nobody did it. He gave us an assignment on it - only one or two even tried to attempt it. In the end, it wasnt counted with our results to be fair).

Semester 2::

Complex Numbers,
    (Cant recall the second topic for sure)
    Diffrenciation,
    Integration.

You will get some lecturers who will give you good "hints" on whats coming up in there exams, some who will help you a small bit and others who refuse quite blank to assist at all. If you get the same Maths lecturer as us, he will keep you in for the full length of the class and is pretty strict on attendance. :|

I did HL applied math for my LC, studied it myself and ended up with B2, not very exciting. Semester 1 subj. sounds bad. I hate those subjects especially.

• Advertisement

Paul_D wrote:
    I did HL applied math for my LC, studied it myself and ended up with B2, not very exciting. Semester 1 subj. sounds bad. I hate those subjects especially.

I think you should do fine if you did that :)

Advertisement