Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Post Counts + Forum Requests

Options
  • 02-09-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I want to see if people feel the same as me on this point.

When you go into the "Forums" Forum and you look through the accepted ones. the majority have been gotten by people with lots of posts. The likes of the "Knights of the Round Table" and other kinda pointless forums are funny i agree and I want to be in them but, If a person with say 300/400 posts requested one of those forums, they'd be laughed and sneered at by some boards members :rolleyes:

I don't think this is fair. I've seen many great forum ideas slowly decline to the bottom of the list. Even if there is 3 pages of replies.

It's as though there is some sort of private joke going around. Other "respectable" boards members see another of their "kind" requesting a forum of any nature and they usually support it where as a forum idea which may be just as good won't get the support of these members and hence, usually never happens. I'm sure forums such as Mustard, Hoff etc etc :rolleyes: were probably originally asked for by a popular member of boards and the forum was granted when really, it's a pointless forum.

Frankly, I think this shouldn't be the case as it's not very fair to people who haven't got thousands of posts.

Meh, That's what I feel anyway and was just wondering whether anyone else thought the same.

Timans
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah it's not as black and white as that. I have a good few thousand posts and my request for a Solar Powered Dildo forum was turned down flatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just to disprove the OP's theory I think we should set up an "All users must give Collie D a euro" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Pigman II wrote:
    Nah it's not as black and white as that. I have a good few thousand posts and my request for a Solar Powered Dildo forum was turned down flatly.
    Really? That's a shame.

boards must like global warming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifting to this Feedback. If there is enough support for a forum, its created, thats its really. I am shocked to hear that you disapprove of the Knights of the Round Table forum, the King will not be impressed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Unless they talk using words like ye olde, and yonder, that particular forum is a farce.

• Advertisement

Well, for example.

the "Build My PC" forum had quite abit of support to no avail. i don't mind but when a forum like the Round table goes ahead which has no use to anybody goes through. It's a bit of a joke. Most of the posts in that thread were just spam.

Timans wrote:
    Well, for example.

the "Build My PC" forum had quite abit of support to no avail. i don't mind but when a forum like the Round table goes ahead which has no use to anybody goes through. It's a bit of a joke. Most of the posts in that thread were just spam.

Agreed. Arthur, Lancelot, and Guinevere, and the other legendary homersexuals are slowing down boards...mentally as well as physically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Valid point but what can you do - you aren't paying for the service. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think it's a valid point at all. The Teaching/Lecturing forum was requested by Trotter who at the time had very few posts. When I suggested the LD forum, I had less than 1,000 posts (somewhere around 600).

In general, a lot of fora are requested by people who've been around for a while, and know the story. Sometimes it happens out that someone new will suggest a forum that (a) we already have or (b) we don't have a need for. This also happens to people who have been about for a while.

fade2black wrote:
    Agreed. Arthur, Lancelot, and Guinevere, and the other legendary homersexuals are slowing down boards...mentally as well as physically.
    TBH,

I don't really know whether you are being sarcastic or supporting me.. :D

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a valid point at all. The Teaching/Lecturing forum was requested by Trotter who at the time had very few posts. When I suggested the LD forum, I had less than 1,000 posts (somewhere around 600).

In general, a lot of fora are requested by people who've been around for a while, and know the story. Sometimes it happens out that someone new will suggest a forum that (a) we already have or (b) we don't have a need for. This also happens to people who have been about for a while.
    My main point is these pointless forums that we have spoken about in the forum already..

The Hoff, Mustard, Round Table etc etc.

There is no way that if a "newbie" had suggested a Mustard forum would it have gone through.

Timans wrote:
    TBH,

I don't really know whether you are being sarcastic or supporting me.. :D

I get that from a lot of women actually...

Supporting ya bud!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Then of course there was the Legal Highs forum. Iircs a lot of high post count people supported that, but it never got made...as far as I know.

fade2black wrote:
    I get that from a lot of women actually...

Supporting ya bud!!!
    Well, i'm a man.

And, Thanks man. *Does thumbs up smily*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

fade2black wrote:
    lol :D
    Agreed though, I don't see the need for such a forum and think it's bullsh1t that this crap is getting approved while they're continously cutting back on boards features.
    As a user and subscriber, I want features like full search, I don't want some sh1te little forum where we can all pretend we were in the middle ages, until it grows old and its just sitting there taking up server space.

Though OP, in general good ideas from users with small post counts do get support because they're just that, a good idea. Though as has been said already, many are either not needed or theres something already in existence.

Timans wrote:
    I want to see if people feel the same as me on this point.

When you go into the "Forums" Forum and you look through the accepted ones. the majority have been gotten by people with lots of posts. The likes of the "Knights of the Round Table" and other kinda pointless forums are funny i agree and I want to be in them but, If a person with say 300/400 posts requested one of those forums, they'd be laughed and sneered at by some boards members :rolleyes:

I don't think this is fair. I've seen many great forum ideas slowly decline to the bottom of the list. Even if there is 3 pages of replies.

It's as though there is some sort of private joke going around. Other "respectable" boards members see another of their "kind" requesting a forum of any nature and they usually support it where as a forum idea which may be just as good won't get the support of these members and hence, usually never happens. I'm sure forums such as Mustard, Hoff etc etc :rolleyes: were probably originally asked for by a popular member of boards and the forum was granted when really, it's a pointless forum.

Frankly, I think this shouldn't be the case as it's not very fair to people who haven't got thousands of posts.

Meh, That's what I feel anyway and was just wondering whether anyone else thought the same.

Timans

Gotta entirely disagree with you here. The Hoff forum was set up (originally) by myself and karlh. (We had our user names changed to papa hoff and karlhoff) I had only a couple of hundred posts or so.
    Puzzles quizzes was my first forum. And again, I had very few posts when it was decided.
    If your idea is sound, and gets a good response, and you formulate your argument well, it *usually* will pass.

HavoK wrote:
    Valid point but what can you do - you aren't paying for the service. :)
    What was that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The admins recently approved my Sleep/Dream forum and i've been here only a few months and have (reletively) few posts.

That's not what I'm really saying.

it's mainly these pointless forums. "private" ones that are being passed. people are only supporting them so they will be be able to get in when they are inevitably approved.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Fade2Black,

Every single post you have made in this thread has been nothing short of total spam. Maybe you can add something constructive instead?

• Advertisement

About private forums, what the hell is Spell Czechs anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Karsini wrote:
    About private forums, what the hell is Spell Czechs anyway?
    A forum where people make such posts as "Omgz lolzers!Look at this post<insert link>, they missed a full stop at the end of the sentence!What a retard!" etc.
    When they were ripping it out of a user with a known learning disability I quickly decided that that forum was not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

as far as i know, it's where people go and laugh at those with poor grammer.

julep wrote:
    as far as i know, it's where people go and laugh at those with poor grammer.
    How sad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Timans wrote:
    Well, for example.

you need to wait like others have, I don't have loads of posts but it took 2 months for my GTA forum to be accepted, it does happen. The admins have more to deal with at the minute obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

rb_ie wrote:
    A forum where people make such posts as "Omgz lolzers!Look at this post<insert link>, they missed a full stop at the end of the sentence!What a retard!" etc.
    When they were ripping it out of a user with a known learning disability I quickly decided that that forum was not for me.

As a card carrying member of the Grammar Nazis, we try to combat the myth of the spelling holocaust that is so widely perpetuated by members of the dyslexia community.

Although seriously, I was never a member of that forum. If we could have a local branch of the Apostrophe Protection society though ;)

I really don't mind about that. I was just using it as an example.

EDIT - ^ In reply to Jakkas' post.

Stark wrote:
    As a card carrying member of the Grammar Nazis, we try to combat the myth of the spelling holocaust that is so widely perpetuated by members of the dyslexia community.

Although seriously, I was never a member of that forum. If we could have a local branch of the Apostrophe Protection society though ;)
    Well I personally think there's a difference between slagging someone who's dyslexic and/or typos a lot and "sum1 hu tlks like dis." *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I discovered my sister's bebo profile today. Now I have no sister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

fade2black wrote:
    Unless they talk using words like ye olde, and yonder, that particular forum is a farce.

We do.

Advertisement