Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Post Counts + Forum Requests

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

We don't slag people who have dyslexia or other learning disorders. We never have either. rb_ie is mistaken here. Just like almost every other private forum, we're just having a laugh.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Forums get created whenever an admin has shag all to do and swings by to clean things up. This could be 3 admins in a week or like recently, no admins for a month (then 3 come along together).

This is why sometimes it seems like forums are not approved. They often are after a delay.

Private forums are more likely to be suggested by users who have been here a good while and we're more inclined to approve them. Its true... I dont think we wouldnt give a new user a private forum, we pretty much dont care about them as long as they have some point more then "I want to see what being a mod is like".

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Why were all the posts after Devore's post deleted?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Years ago when boards was a mere youngster I tried to get a travel forum setup - rejected :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Timans wrote:
    Why were all the posts after Devore's post deleted?
    They had to restore the database. I just got home from work at 6-7am and made posts, I put a lot of effort in to one or two of the long replies, oh well!
    C'est la vie.

EDIT: It's rather funny that you complain about KotRT and requested access, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sum it up in provocative dance TAR!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Voila, mon cherie.

0329dancer.bw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ahh i understand now...but what does honey nut cheerios have to with the topic at hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Stark wrote:
    I discovered my sister's bebo profile today. Now I have no sister.

I know what you mean, I just found my mum's! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Stark wrote:
    I discovered my sister's bebo profile today. Now I have no sister.

Link please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pigman II wrote:
    Nah it's not as black and white as that. I have a good few thousand posts and my request for a Solar Powered Dildo forum was turned down flatly.

Maybe because there is no sun at night? :D

Apologies in advance, didn't read the rest of the thread!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Timans wrote:
    When you go into the "Forums" Forum and you look through the accepted ones. the majority have been gotten by people with lots of posts. The likes of the "Knights of the Round Table" and other kinda pointless forums are funny i agree and I want to be in them but, If a person with say 300/400 posts requested one of those forums, they'd be laughed and sneered at by some boards members :rolleyes:

That is a private hosted forum. We've had people come to this site new, demonstrate that there is a group of people who wish to use the forum for a particular purpose and have the forum created for their use. You misunderstand the difference we make between a "hosted" forum and the general group of forums.
    I don't think this is fair. I've seen many great forum ideas slowly decline to the bottom of the list. Even if there is 3 pages of replies.

New forums are created by decision of admins. Some are seen as not clear cut because they might be deemed to be conflicting with existing forums or it's not clear that there's enough support or we might not be sure that having the forum is a good idea for a different idea. Alternatively, others are seen as good ideas immediately, or an admin has particular support for one or they just happen to catch someone on a good day and it gets created.
    I'm sure forums such as Mustard, Hoff etc etc :rolleyes: were probably originally asked for by a popular member of boards and the forum was granted when really, it's a pointless forum.

Mustard is not a pointless forum. Have you read through the posts on the Mustard forum since its beginning? It will never be a high volume forum, but I've certainly learned a lot of useful stuff since it was created.

What you really mean is that you don't see any use for it and you have no interest in it. That's fine, you don't have to. However, if your response is to post on there about how pointless the forum is and use it as an example here for a whinge then you have to realise that I have a big problem with that attitude.

Boards.ie is made up of several thousand users with very very diverse interests. If we required that all forums met some definition of "not pointless" decided upon by an individual user then we'd have a problem. You obviously find boards useful for certain things. Others find it useful for other things. Some years ago I caused a LOT of friction by not tolerating the attitude from longtime users (users who had been here for several years and might have been seen as some of the core "old timers" by new users such as yourself) that new users' interests that weren't compatible with theirs was somehow inferior.

I find it ironic that now I have to face this attitude from a newer user in relation to relation to older users.

I have absolutely zero interest in a "build my PC" forum. Does that mean we shouldn't create it because I find it pointless? I'm leaning towards that point of view.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In support and agreement to what Ecksor has pointed out above... we have a marketing forum.

I mean... nuff said ffs!! :)

This is the difference between a user (who only wants to see stuff that interests them) and an admin (who has to consider what OTHER people might want and offer them a platform to talk about it even if the admin thinks that they should all be dragged around by their stupid ponytails until half dead and then drowned in a veritable vat of capuchino).

...and exhale....

DeV.

Advertisement