Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a driveway

Options
  • 02-09-2006 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

At the moment I have pedestrian only driveway with earth then about 4 inches of sand then slabs that crack quite easily. I want to put in a driveway for car access which involves knocking down the fence and the planning permission is the way. Anyone who has done this or knows about it might be able to answer the following.
    - is it much more expensive to get cobblelock than simple concrete
    - could i put the concrete in and then plonk the slabs that are there now in on top - it seems a waste to throw them away.
    - is it somethine i could do myself. Im not all that handy.
    - someone mentioned about renting a mini digger for clearing about a foot off the surface . are they easy to operate. how much do they cost.
    - can anyone recommend a good person for the job. what could i expect to pay.
    its a small driveway for say 2 cars max.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

At the moment I have pedestrian only driveway with earth then about 4 inches of sand then slabs that crack quite easily. I want to put in a driveway for car access which involves knocking down the fence and the planning permission is the way. Anyone who has done this or knows about it might be able to answer the following.
    - is it much more expensive to get cobblelock than simple concreteYes indeed it is but it depends on the house/estate etc.
    Cobble lock or the variants all look very well, and look much better>

- could i put the concrete in and then plonk the slabs that are there now in on top - it seems a waste to throw them away.No, use them as back fill, once they are broken up a bit
    - is it somethine i could do myself. Im not all that handy.
    - someone mentioned about renting a mini digger for clearing about a foot off the surface . are they easy to operate. how much do they cost.
    - can anyone recommend a good person for the job. what could i expect to pay. pm me with ur location and i may be able to help with names, good quality cobblelock is about 100/sq meter for everything. There are loads os cowboys around so a good quy will not be available pronto
    its a small driveway for say 2 cars max.

Given your ID, people might be afraid to respond here, but as I live on the side of the road in a van.....:) See my comments above

The key to any driveway job is the prep, you can research the actual spec urself.

depending on the house, ur fone line and water supply maybe under the driveway
    when doing it consider if u might put electric gates in at some point so run some armourered cable out from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

ircoha wrote:
    Given your ID, people might be afraid to respond here, but as I live on the side of the road in a van

Ah sure, we all like working for a lawyer gives us a chance to ....balance the scales..... get some of our cash back, or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Although most people are well intentioned when offering advice on the boards, be careful how you handle the advice being offered especially when it relates to the construction of a driveway. Unless you're a fairly good DIYer, these types of jobs usually end up half finished ugly eyesores that will haunt you for long time.

Beware any blanket statements that condemn one material over another. For example there is absolutely nothin g wrong with concrete, cobblelock or as we prefer natural stone such as granite for use in driveways.

Although you would expect construction to be good, ground preparation is critical. Obviously aesthetics and costs can also influence material choice, as well as the immediate environment. You do need to consider the prevailing neighbouring styles when deciding on material. Design/Layout is also important as is supplying power for gates/lights, switching including infra red/photocells/timers are also elements which influence the functionality.

Finally and most importantly, never allow anyone on your premises who cannot produce confirmation of employer (if they will have workers on-site) and public liability insurance, no matter how good or well recommended they come. Not all cowboys were hats, but they are easy to spot if you know what you're looking for.

Thats plenty of free advice for you, anymore then I would have to charge consultancy fees.

Good Luck.

Advertisement