Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal people, where are you??

Options
  • 02-09-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Slight lack of Donegal-(bar Letterkenny, Bundoran etc)related threads...

Just thought I'd try n get a bit of communication between we Donegal folks all over the shop...

So hey, I'm from Donegal, living in Dublin, Donegal is mad cool, miss Donegal people and craic etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

WunderFull wrote:
    Slight lack of Donegal-(bar Letterkenny, Bundoran etc)related threads...

Just thought I'd try n get a bit of communication between we Donegal folks all over the shop...

So hey, I'm from Donegal, living in Dublin, Donegal is mad cool, miss Donegal people and craic etc...

You are on the right forum for Donegal, go back through the threads, or ask a specific question and I am sure you will receive a reply & welcome to the N.W.Forum, just do not upset the moderator's ? ;)

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    just do not upset the moderator's ?
    Paddy, I think what you meant to say was............stick to the rules and you will be fine

muffler wrote:
    Paddy, I think what you meant to say was............stick to the rules and you will be fine

muffler,

I stand corrected ;)

I see that we now have a 'Leitrim Thread', so I think why not a Donegal Thread as well,for news, gossip and local information.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A few of us here from Inishowen. Lovely place. Can't wait to get out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

Ah, Donegal people. Local gossip...well, any good stuff coming up in the wonderful Dún na nGall that gives me an excuse to go home?

Questions:

Why is there a timetable for the Lough Swilly bus when it's completely different?
    Where's good to go out in Dgal? (I haven't ventured very far)
    Where are ye all and what are ye all doing?

Paddy20 and myself are from the twin towns.

Other than that we have nothing in common :D:D

Paddy20 wrote:
    I see that we now have a 'Leitrim Thread', so I think why not a Donegal Thread as well,for news, gossip and local information.:)

Paddy there is an identical thread up and running and you even posted in it.
    I dont understand why you started this thread. to keep a bit of order here Im going to merge the 2 together.

Would people please check recent threads before starting a new one on the same topic

Edit: Right, thats the two identical threads rolled together under the slightly altered title of the first one

muffler wrote:
    Paddy there is an identical thread up and running and you even posted in it.
    I dont understand why you started this thread. to keep a bit of order here Im going to merge the 2 together.

Would people please check recent threads before starting a new one on the same topic

Edit: Right, thats the two identical threads rolled together under the slightly altered title of the first one

mufler,

Fair cop, your honour ;) Although I still prefer the title of Donegal Thread :D , and I agree we have absolutely nothing in common !.

Paddy20 wrote:
    and I agree we have absolutely nothing in common !.

Wrong again Paddy: We agree on that :D

• Advertisement

When I was a boy growing up in Ballybofey, we had a Cinema called the ' The Ritz'. It has been closed for a very long time, and part of it was turned into the excellent 'Balor Theatre'.

Now that the Butt Hall has been demolished and a new mixture of facilities including a new Balor Theatre are to be facilitated., I am concerned about the old Ritz Cinema building which is of a unique 'Art Deco' design.

Will we have a new cinema in the existing building, as we need a cinema in Ballybofey/Stranorlar, or will it be demolished in the same way as our cherished County Donegal Railways station was knocked down without any local residents being consulted.

Anyone know anything, as I want the 'RITZ' building preserved as a listed building and landmark.

Anyone else concerned ?...

WunderFull wrote:
    Ah, Donegal people. Local gossip...well, any good stuff coming up in the wonderful Dún na nGall that gives me an excuse to go home?

Questions:

Why is there a timetable for the Lough Swilly bus when it's completely different?
    Where's good to go out in Dgal? (I haven't ventured very far)
    Where are ye all and what are ye all doing?

Who on earth needs " needs an excuse" to go back to Where you belong !

Home is where the heart is, and we probably need you anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Donegal people, where are you??

I think there are a quite a few Donegal people who dont really post in the North-West Forum! I am not meaning to cause offence to the mods as they do their job well, I just get the impression at times that the forum is too serious!? I find myself posting in the west forum (as i lived in Galway for a while) quite a bit as there is more open for discussion and there is plenty of light-hearted banter. Again, this is only my opinion and im not saying that it is right/wrong but nonetheless, my opinion!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

WunderFull wrote:
    Slight lack of Donegal-(bar Letterkenny, Bundoran etc)related threads

This thread baffles me. It isn't that long ago that the cry went up about the lack of input on this forum from people from Sligo and Leitrim. Have a look through previous threads, Donegal gets good coverage and we aren't afraid to speak our minds.

Originally posted by Donegal Lass
    I think there are a quite a few Donegal people who dont really post in the North-West Forum! I am not meaning to cause offence to the mods as they do their job well, I just get the impression at times that the forum is too serious!? I find myself posting in the west forum (as i lived in Galway for a while) quite a bit as there is more open for discussion and there is plenty of light-hearted banter. Again, this is only my opinion and im not saying that it is right/wrong but nonetheless, my opinion!

There are quite a few serious discussions here but I have certainly noticed a fair amount of humour in the past.

I just get the impression at times that the forum is too serious!?............................................ posting in the west forum quite a bit as there is more open for discussion and there is plenty of light-hearted banter.
    Just to pick up on those points. You are half right on this issue.
    A large number of the members here would be....emmm....lets say mature and hence you are not going to get the dribble that you find in "after hours". Most of the threads here are on topics about real events with real opinions being expressed. Call the posts serious if you want but I wouldn't. I would refer to them as being more factual and informative.

Maybe a sub forum is needed for younger members/teenagers but I dont see why they cant post here in any event. nanook and myself moderate this forum to the best of our ability. A lot of our work goes unseen and its ony right that it stays that way as we would have serious problems if some of the more "meaty" threads were not deleted as soon as they hit the front page. We have the duty of - first and foremost, protecting boards.ie from any legal threats as a result of the content of posts. Secondly it is also our duty to ensure the smooth running of the forum by protecting members from personal abuse and stepping in when things look as if they will get out of hand and also ensuring the posts stay half on topic at least.

I am certainly all in favour of a bit of banter and as smashey said there has been a fair bit of humour here in the past. But bear in mind that there is a fine line between banter/slagging and personal abuse. This is down to the individual members. Some can take it and some cant but I think common sense covers all of it.

In summary the mood of this forum is dictated by the type of threads posted and the responses to same. If members want to post light hearted and humourous comments then I am all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Hi all just a few lines to say hello don't post here that much just a lot going on a work but I do vist to see what's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

muffler wrote:
    Just to pick up on those points. You are half right on this issue.
    A large number of the members here would be....emmm....lets say mature and hence you are not going to get the dribble that you find in "after hours". .........................................................

Maybe a sub forum is needed for younger members/teenagers but I dont see why they cant post here in any event. nanook and myself moderate this forum to the best of our ability. ................................................

I am certainly all in favour of a bit of banter and as smashey said there has been a fair bit of humour here in the past. But bear in mind that there is a fine line between banter/slagging and personal abuse. This is down to the individual members. Some can take it and some cant but I think common sense covers all of it.

In summary the mood of this forum is dictated by the type of threads posted and the responses to same. If members want to post light hearted and humourous comments then I am all for it

I certainly agree that you do your job to the best of your ability as I said in my original post, and if it caused offence, it was unintended! I appreciate too that most of the posters in this forum are more mature in age than others, and I suppose its a kind of a 'majority rules' situation when it comes to the way the threads develop? I have never felt like I couldnt contribute to any of the threads, however would feel quite intimidated if I only had a certain amount of knowledge on a particular subject. In effect, it prevents me from posting at all and perhaps think that there are other younger posters who feel the same. Also, I for one, do not condone personal attacks or slagging so thats not really what i was aiming for! Im bringing this up in the most lighthearted way possible as it is not really a big deal to me but it could be to someone else. Thanks for reading! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

I like to lurk :)

I suppose its a kind of a 'majority rules' situation when it comes to the way the threads develop?

I have never felt like I couldnt contribute to any of the threads, however would feel quite intimidated if I only had a certain amount of knowledge on a particular subject.

In effect, it prevents me from posting at all and perhaps think that there are other younger posters who feel the same.

Majority rules does not dictate the way a thread develops. In certain cases there will be a number of members who hold a different view from a small group of members but everyone is entitled to their opinion and can state it in any thread here. In fact the more opinions we get from different age groups the wider the gap in opinions become and this stops a thread going in any particular direction. A more livelier debate too.

Never, ever feel intimidated when posting here no matter what the reason. I know exactly the point you are making but if you feel like posting a comment on any topic regardless of the depth of your knowledge on the subject then go right ahead. Everyones posts are appreciated. Sure, someone may have a go at you for a comment either in a humourous way or maybe in a more serious way. This is the joys of debate but as I said earlier there is a fine line between a bit of ribbing and personal abuse. If we feel that a particular member is being very harsh or continually aggresive towards another member then we take action to eliminate this. Its called extermination :D

Now the reason that this forum is viewed as being "serious" by you and perhaps as you say some others is that we dont have enough people starting lighhearted threads. The direction the forum takes as a whole is dictated by the members and what they post and not by the moderators.

Start a thread or two yourself or get some friends to contribute. Go with the flow girl, I say go with the flow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tall Tom

My sister and her new husband are in Ardara right now for a few more days visiting our relatives, then will work themselves down the west coast to visit friends of the family and our father's shacked up house. I'm so jealous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement