Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with photo

Options
  • 02-09-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, on how to photoshop some photos. i attach one of nearly a hundred of them here. basically i am setting up an online store and will need to add those photos to the catalog items. what is the best way to remove the background. the photos are basically women clothing badly taken by somebody. some are blurred, dark and worst. i'm using GIMP if anyone can point some tips. tried googling and came up a few methods, many resulted in too edgy or distortions on the clothing too much.

mart

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

easiest way (in photoshop at least) is to use a layer mask. Rather than delete pixels you paint them transparent (black = 0% opaque, while = 100% opaque, gray = simewhere in the middle) Makes it easy to correct mistakes and soften edges.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

example attached, the layer mask is shown to the right. I don't know if the GIMP soes them but it should.

I also cloned out the pole supporting the mannequin (EDIT: poorly, sorry) and desaturated the yellows to make the see thru bits fit the white background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭KroG

nice not bad at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

If you open the photo in Gimp, press Shift + Q to toggle quick mask. This will put a red layer over your image. Then use the eraser tool to "rub out" the red layer in the area you want to select. Use the pencil tool to make corrections (add the red back in). Press Shift + Q again to select the area you have "rubbed out". You can then click Edit and Paste as new to create a new image with your selection on a transparent background. If you play around with it for 5 mins you will see exactly what it does. Extremely useful & quick for selecting intricate obects from an image.

I use Version 2.2, I presume it is the same for other versions too.

EssKay

Advertisement