Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is psp dead?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

blocparty wrote:
    its not dead and never will be. the handheld market isnt that big over here so give it time. i have the japanese version of tekken and it is simply fantastic i love it and its a game share so you only need one copy to play two player.

i dont know many people with a ds or ds lite but i really think they're ugly especially the ds which is a monstrosity. the ds lite is a fun console but i played burnout on it and then played burnout on my psp and there is no comparision. the ds version looks like poo, simple as

while i understand that graphics dont make a game but the ds is seriously lacking in this department. i think sony will change their tactics slightly and try and mussle in on the ds type games that seem to be doing well

I think you summed up perfectly why the PSP is bombing...all fancy and no fun. I'm sure you will still have sales based on what the media tell people to buy, but anyone interested in games will be playing DS. I have a DS and a PSP and I havent picked up my psp in about 6 months. Who cares what a console looks like??? Its what you play on it that counts!!!

Look at what games are coming fo the DS in the next 6 months! I'll hope to have sold my PSP in the same period of time. You cant even play games properly on it with its useless d-pad. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

tck wrote:
    Japan are in LOVE with the DS.

As are the rest of us! Amazing little machine the DS. I sold my psp long ago as I thought it was pure crap. Bought a DS and have just been crazy about it ever since. The DS is the ultimate accolade to the line: "games make the console." They do and because of Ninty's inventiveness the DS is the king of handhelds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

not sure about the bboy game playing style, but what im guessing is a tony hawks style playing going into certain modes and pushing button combos to do different moves. i'll know in a few weeks.
    my younger brother has a ds lite, he's got nintendogs, burnout and the world cup soccer game. i've got a psp & gta:lcs, burnout, pro evo 5, twisted metal.

graphics wise burnout on psp is ps2 quality, ds is what i would consider ps1 quality.
    pro evo5 on the psp is again excellent quality, the world cup soccer game on the ds is absolut sh!t. ever play driver 2? remember that messed up looking character that you were playing when running about trying to steal another car? well theres two teams of him on the pitch.
    the ds is creative and nintendogs is fun but if they put better graphics and screens into the ds it'd be a true psp killer.

psp's rule, but i wish they were more comfortable to hold.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

graphics wise burnout on psp is ps2 quality, ds is what i would consider ps1 quality.
    pro evo5 on the psp is again excellent quality, the world cup soccer game on the ds is absolut sh!t. ever play driver 2? remember that messed up looking character that you were playing when running about trying to steal another car? well theres two teams of him on the pitch.
    the ds is creative and nintendogs is fun but if they put better graphics and screens into the ds it'd be a true psp killer.

But for the games that the DS does the graphics and screens are perfect for it, there's no need to upgrade to PS2 graphics, the problem with the games like world cup soccer and burnout is that you can tell they have been really lazily put together by just looking at them. That the creative force behind them took the day off and the workforce just tried to push out a racer and footie in the mould of all the ones before it on the DS system when thats not what the DS is about, the creative force should have completely redone the game system to both games so it would suit the machine, if the characters look like the guy from driver 2, dont use those sort of graphics, go for more colourful simple styles, or something edgy.

Developers need to play to each consoles strength, and so far more developers are playing to the DS's strength then there are playing to the PSP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Its slowly but surely building up some good games in its library, some of the jap games are good and vice city stories looks great, i was going to sell psp but im gonna wait for this to see if itw worth holding onto, tekken, syphon filter are some good games too

http://psp.ign.com/articles/731/731884p1.html

vice city interview recently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmmm, I was really not interested in a PSP, having sold my US PSP last Aug just before the Euro launch.
    Then the sight of LocoRoco changed everything, suddenly I started paying attention to the PSP release listings and found a ton of things I wanted and more importantly a lot of titles now second hand.
    Having owned a PSP, again, for the last 3 weeks I now own 8 games and am looking forward to more, loving LocoRoco itself, revisiting Ridge Racer and WipeOut Pure and getting my StuntCar Racer kicks from GripShift and losing hours to Pinball.
    I know the console is plagued with PS2 reheats but there is the possibility for Sony IPs to be refreshed on the hardware, as were Wipeout and RidgeRacer.
    Vice City Stories and Gran Turismo Mobile should convince all that the handheld is worth charging once again.
    I get the impression there is a certain amount of snobbishness about the handheld market, people keeping one eye on the jap market to decide for them what is "in" and whats "out".
    I love my DSlite, still play it most everyday but there is room for both machines given the different types of games on both, I mean I've played Burnout legends on both PSP and DS and I can tell you the DS edition sucks while the PSP is a faithful integration of the 1st three titles, good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea and ridge racer 2 will be out soon:)

what about gran turismo, when is that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Buy Tekken DR. Its the first game to show what the PSP is capable of. Re-Kindled my interest in the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ speaks the truth, really does bring graphics to a level you wouldn't believe in a handheld. I played the arcade version recently and i have to say the collisions when a player is thrown to the ground (ie. cracked pavement) are much more impressive on the psp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Placebo wrote:
    nearly all of psp owners just download games

no way, sony would not continue if that were the case. the fact that most people online do is not reflective of the general public. For one its too complicated for most people what with downgrading, firmware emulation and the games only being available through that thing we're not really supposed to talk about.

As for the psp being dead, well i haven't touched mine in months and i am a racing fan. But i just don't want to play games i plaed years ago again. Got outrun for the pc(god bless my ps2 controller adapter) and it would be deadly on the psp(i know it is) but its about the only pick up and play for a few minutes. The rest of the games don't suit handheld gaming

the problem with the psp is that it is a portable playstation. Sony didn't design a portable system, they took a home comsole from 2 geerations ago(or one at time of launch) and squeezed it(just barely) in to the palm of our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe, but they built it around a lovely screen and while its unfortunate tha they hobbled the better capabilities of the console ie homebrew and emulation, it still remains a capable games machine and at this stage in its life there is bound to be a couple of games to suit everyone, remember when the software on the DS sucked? Waiting seemed to have boosted its range manyfold, and so it has been with the PSP.
    No such thing as bad consoles, just lazy developers and uninspired publishers.

Advertisement