Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Instruments forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Rozie for Lesbian-Guitars mod! Who's with me!!!!1?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The U.L. forum banned Rozie for acting the constant muppet if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And I believe Rozie was banned from Bands/Musicians for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Considering your attitude about this whole banning along with your carry on on the other forums on Boards.ie since your banning, I am reluctant to unban you.

What is the problem with my attitude concerning this ban? I'm questioning it on a reasonable basis. People are flocking to defend it but it doesn't change that it's all I'm doing. Why do people act like someone is a criminal just for questioning the way something is done? This happens a lot online, but it seems to happen even more here.

I'm never going to be a lick-arse about these things. I think I've brought this up very respectfully, about as respectfully as I can given what I see a lot of people on this board as.
    The U.L. forum banned Rozie for acting the constant muppet if I remember correctly.

I'm currently banned from the U.L. forum and the instruments forum. The U.L. forum ban was pretty ****ty too, as several people were attacking me. I mostly got banned for pointing out problems in U.L. and peoples attitude - and to be fair, I was right. Most of the societies fell apart. Maybe I was overly aggressive, but you can't beat throwing out a perma-ban instead of dealing with a real issue for immature behaviour, IMO.

I could be banned from the Fashion forum for asserting that fat people aren't ugly still too, I haven't checked. Some of the insults being thrown around were disgusting. Banning the "angry" party is comitting the Style over Substance fallacy, and whatever your opinion is, is a logically faulty decision. Going after the people who are doing the real vicious insulting is a bit more of a challenge but what you should be doing if you want to be in anyway competent.

Real trolls don't stand out.
    Rozie you were banned for being disruptive, argumentative and compromising the enjoyment of the forum for the regular participants.

I was banned for getting into an argument with another member where it was off-topic to do so.
    It's reasonably easy to ignore someone's posts if you don't like them, and they're not making it personal(like Lundi was). All of those weighted terms just oversimplify a matter to an almost black and white state.
    You couldn't seem to accept someone having an opinion different to yours which resulted in the inevitable tedious consequences and necessary moderator intervention.

This is where I stop acting like your "opinion" is anything more than a bunch of rubbish.

If you don't like how I acted, fine. But you're reducing a two sided situation to a one sided one which makes you a very biased person indeed.

I was undoutedbly not the worst person in that conversation. I was being attacked, not "

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the self righteous attitude some members and moderators take when someone steps out of line.

I have good reasons to be pissed so often. Anytime I do get involved in anything, it's usually a one sided gang up against me, and I'm getting tired. I think this is a result of Groupthink and an atmosphere that naturally belittles any opposition.

This is a good reason for me to be pissed. I have been semi-active on a few forums here without causing any trouble.

In my opinion, when people go online they learn to recognise certain "trouble makers" which don't necessarily match with what they should be dealing with.

The fact taht you completely ignore the other side in anything I've been involved in shows you're just plain delusional as far as this argument goes. I honestly don't want to listen to thinly veiled insults warped into an argument.

[qutoe]Personal abuse is a reason for a permanent ban, IMHO, when you take into consideration how the poster behaves in every other forum. i.e. The exact same, trollerific, abusive way.[/quote]

Another example. I am by definition, not a troll, and anyone claiming so is incorrect, and it just proves they're looking for any weighted term to stick on to me.

A troll is a person who posts something infuriating or offensive in order to get a reaction.

I'm a sucker for reacting to trolls rather than being a troll in the least. I don't do stuff to make forums react; I just stand my corner.
    ok. you were not banned for being gay or black or any other silly reason, so stop bringing that up.

No, I was permanently banned for arguing with someone off-topic. Being gay and black is an invalid premise for a ban - just as an offense like this, even if backed by a similiar offense, is a piss poor premise for a permanent ban.

I still hold strongly that there are serious problems in the mentality of this board in general, if permanent bans, and suspensions are handed out so lightly. Of course it's a big successful forum and I'm one person so I can't succeed in convincing anyone, which is part of the problem. Irish people are unfortunately super-suspectible to memes. Why else is Catholicism so rampant? Why are we one of the most conservative nations in western europe? Why are we suckers for the "Trendy" brands, especially Sony? Why do we have such poor subcultures? Why is it that when anyone tries to question anything, we're told to cop-on? Why don't we do anything about our piss poor infrastructure and public services?

This is no different. People are falling in line far too easily. Maybe this is a good thing in some scenarios, but it's not what I do. At all. I have an

On no other forum I've been on to was my guitar playing attacked so mercilessly. Maybe because they actually read the topic and found out that it was a stoner jam and not meant to be serious loook-i-can-play-thee-scales. The mods didn't want to do anything about this. How can that not piss me off?

Why are people just PRESUMING I'm in the wrong here? Just because I'm "bitching" and I've been in trouble before I'm automatically in the wrong? I haven't seen a single attempt at reasoning why the ban should remain.

Like it or not, there are MEANT to be certain rules you adhere to for debate. I haven't seen anyone on this forum who's aware of them, let alone honours them, and it's incredibly frustrating for someone like me who goes to effort to make a logical argument instead of one based on force or appeal to the majority.

So maybe you should try to see it from my side and why I'm often so angry with this forum. It's really frustrating for me as it's the only really big Irish forum(P45Rant is smaller, and has the same problems) but my mentality doesn't cling with people here at all.

I nearly always have a good reason for being angry, which is more than I can say for some of the bandwagoners in the topics I end up in. Usually it's because someone makes a thoughtless remark and insists on it without backing it up, or posts something highly offensive that the mods don't seem to have a problem with. I don't set out to cause trouble and I take great offense at the vicious little **** some people are casting me as.

The fact that I have to appeal this ban by "showing I've improved" which no doubt involves becoming a bit of a doormat instead of providing a logical argument is really sad.

Why can't you actually try to diffuse a situation, talk to both sides and work something out? Not ONCE have I seen that. So if any mod claims they had no choice but to ban me or whoever, they're lying. There's plenty you can do. Bans only serve to aggress people further as they're the ultimate mark of disrespect. Permanent bans are attesting that someone doesn't change, and even if it is based on them changing, they often have to change their entire personality.

This wasn't a "sob story", it was me pointing out the problem I see here. I can guarantee though that I'll be told to cop on and not one person will try to actually debate it properly, favouring more insults and name calling instead. Which upsets me a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rozie wrote:
    What is the problem with my attitude concerning this ban?

Because it's your attitude that's keeping you banned. For example:
    Rozie wrote:
    I'm never going to be a lick-arse about these things. I think I've brought this up very respectfully, about as respectfully as I can given what I see a lot of people on this board as.

Thinly veiled vitiol and superiority complex aside, the problem with that statement is that you're basically stating that you're only respectful by your standards, and when you're using self serving standards, that doesn't encourage any moderator who might have banned you for prior infractions to unban you.
    Rozie wrote:
    I'm a sucker for reacting to trolls rather than being a troll in the least. I don't do stuff to make forums react; I just stand my corner.

Oh you got that right. But what do trolls do? They look for a reaction. Now, what do you do? You give them a reaction. Can you see where I'm going with this?

You encourage and feed trolls. You are equally as culpable in the effect that trolling has. Can you not understand this?
    Rozie wrote:
    I haven't seen a single attempt at reasoning why the ban should remain.

There's been many reasons, you've just chosen to dismiss them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Rozie wrote:
    Why can't you actually try to diffuse a situation, talk to both sides and work something out? Not ONCE have I seen that. So if any mod claims they had no choice but to ban me or whoever, they're lying. There's plenty you can do. Bans only serve to aggress people further as they're the ultimate mark of disrespect. Permanent bans are attesting that someone doesn't change, and even if it is based on them changing, they often have to change their entire personality.

Karl has pretty much covered the remainder of your (long) post, but I felt I should pull you up on the above. The people carrying the banhammers are moderators, not mediators. Think about it. If mods were duty bound to act as middlemen to every bout of trollery (or whatever), firstly, there would be more mods than users, and secondly, boards as we know it would cease to exist. It would be, and is, patently unnecessary anyway. Unfair/questionable bannings are a tiny fraction of the whole, I can't remember one standing out in my mind as long as I've been here. The system works, simple as.

Your numerous brushes with teh powah have been discussed at length. Given that they occured in a variety of unrelated fora, maybe you need to ask why such a pattern exists in the first place. To refer back to your initial point, the moderators of boardsie are not your conscience, there to correct your behaviour or act as your moral compass. Any breaches of forum rules tend to be non-negotiable.

The matter of a permaban being lifted is one that has also been discussed by those involved. You can either take that on the chin, or take the advice presented. If I wanted back in as badly as you appear to, I know what I'd be doing right now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rozie wrote:
    Anytime I do get involved in anything, it's usually a one sided gang up against me, and I'm getting tired.
    Have you ever asked yourself why this is?

If so, have you ever been prepared to answer yourself honestly?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Only a month ago we had a problem between a user (Rooferpete) and a mod (and subsequently an Smod and he got banned). Then I spent quite a bit of time behind the scenes talking things through. Result, Rooferpete has returned.

What your saying is "I havent and wont alter the reasons why I was banned in the first place, in fact I dont see them as my problems at all". Well the rules havent changed so if you havent either (or at least made some attempt to compromise) then you arent getting unbanned because you will just get banned again in no time.

Long ago I reconciled myself to only keeping 80% (if that) of the people here happy and involved in the community. If you want to chose to be in the other 20%, I wont stop you.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

DeVore wrote:

Long ago I reconciled myself to only keeping 80% (if that) of the people here happy and involved in the community. If you want to chose to be in the other 20%, I wont stop you.

DeV.

You and Vilfredo Pareto both ;)

http://www.it-cortex.com/Pareto_law.htm

http://home.alltel.net/mikeric/Misc/Pareto.htm

More of an A.B.C man myself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Quit looking for attention Rozie.

Is it possible to ban her from here? It'll save me having to read the first two sentences and then skip the rest of posts such as #35 again.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You and Vilfredo Pareto both ;)

http://www.it-cortex.com/Pareto_law.htm

http://home.alltel.net/mikeric/Misc/Pareto.htm

More of an A.B.C man myself.
    If A is 80% then 100-A must be 20%... I dont think your links really apply.

Never heard of the c*nt myself :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BossArky wrote:

Is it possible to ban her from here? It'll save me having to read the first two sentences and then skip the rest of posts such as #35 again.

Ignore button ftw! :D

Ignore button ftw! :D

Cheers Karl! I forgot that option existed. Time to take it for a test drive :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

BossArky wrote:
    Cheers Karl! I forgot that option existed. Time to take it for a test drive :cool:
    This ignore needs a banner ad campaign tbh.

Anyone want to front boards.ie some money to circulate an "ignore this user" ad? ;)

Yeah, tried out the ignore button yesterday - its great. It is like looking at the sun through very strong sun glasses ... you know its there but it cannot get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I dunno, I never use the ignore button since I first started modding on here. makes it more trouble than its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

BossArky wrote:
    Yeah, tried out the ignore button yesterday - its great. It is like looking at the sun through very strong sun glasses ... you know its there but it cannot get to you.
    Not really. If you are a mod though, then the ignore button is like looking at the sun through very strong sun glasses - you think everythings okay while there's lots of damage being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hmmmm and just as we were thinking maybe we should unban Rozie from UL now that the mod has changed... but seems Rozie has not :(

(to be considered... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

**** this, I tried to be somewhat polite, and nobody could give a toss.

That's very flawed. There's no guarantee the 80% are right and it's easily possible for something to affect the whole population without people even admitting it - the current sate of the United States demonstrates this easily enough.

What if the 20% happen to be the LGBT members of the board? You didn't say which 20%. It could be anyone. If the LGBT members are being singled out and harassed by the rest of the board, would you ban them?

That's similiar to what's happening with me. I'm not the one doing wrong, I just get involved in it due to my sheer anger at the arrogance some people have. Mods will here always ban people like me because they've no interest in actually doing the right thing or improving anythign at all, just the easy thing.
    Oh you got that right. But what do trolls do? They look for a reaction. Now, what do you do? You give them a reaction. Can you see where I'm going with this?

You encourage and feed trolls. You are equally as culpable in the effect that trolling has. Can you not understand this?

Yes. And you know what you should do? Get rid of the trolls, since THEY'RE the ones actually setting out the cause the trouble. But do you? No. Because the staff is utterly incompetent and following a piss poor set of rules and morals.

There's been many reasons, you've just chosen to dismiss them.

On a logical basis. We've already established via PM you're like some fundie nutjob who doesn't believe in logic, and just sidepasses by flinging further insults back at me. If you can't accept the idea that some things have logical justification and others don't, then it's impossible to argue with you. I may as well argue with Pat Robertson or someone.
    Karl has pretty much covered the remainder of your (long) post, but I felt I should pull you up on the above. The people carrying the banhammers are moderators, not mediators. Think about it. If mods were duty bound to act as middlemen to every bout of trollery (or whatever), firstly, there would be more mods than users, and secondly, boards as we know it would cease to exist.

That's a fallacy. A few years ago when I first started going on line, that's what moderators did. Setting down a banhammer as a first resort is ridiculous behaviour. What does it say about a forum when you have people there that are almost solely for blocking other people's access?
    Only a month ago we had a problem between a user (Rooferpete) and a mod (and subsequently an Smod and he got banned). Then I spent quite a bit of time behind the scenes talking things through. Result, Rooferpete has returned.

So this occured once, a month ago?

Sorry, but this is pure arrogance. I'm blatantly not looking for attention as whenever I do draw attention, it's NEVER pleasant for me. I just want to tackle something nobody has provided a valid justification for as of yet.

Nobody likes an attention seeker, or some whiny teenager. So if you can just write off someone you don't like as that, you don't have to deal with any problems they raise! Excellent!

This is a pathetic and highly offensive tactic, especially coming from a moderator.

This is exactly my problem with this place. I wouldn't keep getting so pissed off. Though there's a vast majority against me here nobody's really provided any logical justification, just criticising my behaviour which is irrelevant, since that's only in reaction to other people's.

I don't think this is ever going to go anywhere because people don't think they have to justify things properly. In your heads, this is the only way things can be even though there are other forums run better(note: note on the same theme, so don't say "feck off and go there then") that prove this notion wrong. They just say that "it wouldn't work" or fling it back on to me going on some Tallesin style self righteous rant about what a terrible human being I am for arguing on a messageboard. You've no idea how frustrating this is.
    Hmmmm and just as we were thinking maybe we should unban Rozie from UL now that the mod has changed... but seems Rozie has not

(to be considered... )

What, because I take a problem with a ban? How does me challenging a ban, which I've always done, and never claimed I'll stop, affect This assheadedness is exactly one of the reasons why I'm leaving UL anyway. Thanks a lot. Right now I feel like leaving Ireland altogether. As much as I hate the way American-owned forums are usually so bloody right wing(not that this place isn't in the way it's run), it's rare I encounter one that suspends or bands from a subforum over one offense making no effort whatsoever to mediate or even provide a valid reason past "YOU WERE BEING IMMATURE". Why am I the only one who realises how insane it is!? Most forums, as ****ty as internet forums tend to be, do NOT do this. Why is this place so special? I'm not truly in the minority here, yet as far as this argument goes, I'm the only person arguing this. How can this be right? Will someone answer me that?
    I don't see how I'm being immature when I'm not the one with a considerable amount of power and taking no responsibility whatsoever for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jesus you're a horrible poster. You are immature, you had a little fit when someone said your music was awful trying to justify yourself by saying that we knew nothing about effects etc etc.
    As much as I hate the way American-owned forums are usually so bloody right wing(not that this place isn't in the way it's run), it's rare I encounter one that suspends or bands from a subforum over one offense making no effort whatsoever to mediate or even provide a valid reason past "YOU WERE BEING IMMATURE".

I LOVE this "Blah blah no other forums do this or that" Yes the ****ing do, all of them, any forum that doesn't is too small to care about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Rozie wrote:
    **** this, I tried to be somewhat polite, and nobody could give a toss.

Um, you got plenty of replies including more than one reply from an admin. What you mean is that nobody did what you wanted when you snapped your fingers. Can't get good "staff" these days eh?

Earlier you said something along the lines of "Mods aren't infallible, what if I come up with a logical reason for being unbanned, what then?" and proceeded to criticise the system and the abstract ideas you believe it represents. I'm not sure if I've identified the sort of logical reasoning in your posts that you mention, but others appear to have been looking and didn't find the arguments compelling.

One of the reasons being held up for keeping your ban is your tendency to default to an abusive form of response. Doing that here only supports that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not the one doing wrong

*wipes tears of laughter away*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To save the whole argument and bitching, can she/he just not be unbanned under strict instructions:- Step out of line, and your perm banned.

Why cant a second chance be given? I dont go to the instruments forum, nor do I know Rozie but I still think to save us all from pulling are hair out at the bitching going on -- give her a second chance.

We all make mistakes, but we should be given a second chance. Blow it - then you shouldnt be let back in. I can see why Rozie is getting frustrated (tip: Try not to. Remain calm, friendly and civilised no matter what people throw at you. Otherwise your just going to get youself banned somewhere else to) and its a pitty this just couldnt be taken to PM with the mod in question, dicussed, if that fails take it one step higher.

But posting in the Feedback forum should be a last resort. Its just looking for trouble, and Rozie -- your getting and responding to it.

Mods:- Either give Rozie a second chance (let bygons be bygons) or simply say "No, Sorry. No second chances". Why does this thread need to go on and on and on? Its nothing any good at ALL. In fact, its making matters a lot worse. Managements word is final Rozie, so whatever the outcome, if the higher lads aint having none of it -- leave it be and move on. Theres more to life then trying to get unbanned from one small section on a huge forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Sully04 wrote:
    To save the whole argument and bitching,

can she/he just not be unbanned under strict instructions:- Step out of line, and your perm banned.

Well how will that save bitching and arguements? It would only be a matter of time before rozie would be back bitching about some forum she is banned from now. also rozie is perm banned now, why should another change be given?

We all make mistakes, but we should be given a second chance.

No point i nsecond chances unless someone realises their mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

DeVore wrote:
    If A is 80% then 100-A must be 20%... I dont think your links really apply.

Never heard of the c*nt myself :)

DeV.

:)

The 80/20 split is a common guess that can be applied to a lot of things. 20% of board member account for 80% of the posts. That kind of thing. Not terribly accurate but a bit like you were using the "keeping 80% happy". Just reminded me of it is all.
    The ABC thing has no direct connection to Pareto's law and is a more modern skit on it as far as guessing percentages of things. Used a lot in Logistics and Warehousing. Fast, medium, slow.

Hands up who writes programs for inventory and logistics.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Carnivore wrote:
    Well how will that save bitching and arguements? It would only be a matter of time before rozie would be back bitching about some forum she is banned from now. also rozie is perm banned now, why should another change be given?

Im sure if shes like that all over Boards, she will be given directions to the door ;) I see your point tho.
    No point i nsecond chances unless someone realises their mistake.

Im sure she wont pull another stunt like she did before, after all she got banned for ages -- why start up again after all her efforts getting unbanned?

I dont think this thread is going to help her realise any mistakes. Such issues should be discussed between user and moderator and not in public forums where she will get bashed to death and result in her loosing the plot, getting snotty back and getting banned.

Sully04 wrote:
    Im sure if shes like that all over Boards, she will be given directions to the door ;) I see your point tho.

She is banned from loads of forums
    Im sure she wont pull another stunt like she did before, after all she got banned for ages -- why start up again after all her efforts getting unbanned?
    You're applying logic, thats your first mistake.

I dont think this thread is going to help her realise any mistakes. Such issues should be discussed between user and moderator and not in public forums where she will get bashed to death and result in her loosing the plot, getting snotty back and getting banned.

Well she started the thread, and its not the first one. Every few months this happens, and it's always the same "everyone else is in the wrong".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Flork

Carnivore wrote:
    She is banned from loads of forums

You're applying logic, thats your first mistake.

Well she started the thread, and its not the first one. Every few months this happens, and it's always the same "everyone else is in the wrong".

Hi Boston.

That do it for you buddy?

meh, and who are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 slightly lost

I don't get this thread.

Advertisement