Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage systems for a small site

Options
  • 02-09-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Never thought I'd be writing a post about sewage systems!! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with dealing with sewage on a really small site in the countryside. Its very small (6th of an acre!) so we can't just fire down a tank. It is very close to a mains sewage treatment plant but this is above the level of the house. Anyone have experience with pumped systems? How did it work out? Any tips or guidance would be really apreciated - just doing the research at the moment...

ZenZen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

What are the planners saying?. That is the starting point.

Pumping is not a problem but you just cant use pump it over the fence so to speak into the treatment plant

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You need to post up more details.

Is there an existing house on the site?
    Do you propose to build a new house on it?
    Have you applied for planning permission?
    Are there other septic tanks in the immediate area?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Like Muffler said need more details.

1/6 of an acre is very small. There is no system that I know of that will fit on such a small site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

hi everyone...yes i forgot to mention that there is an old cottage on the site which i am going restoring to the way it was so planning isn't an issue as its not being extended etc. have spoken with the county engineer who said the pumped system would be the way to go as the village sewage plant is very close (a bit of a field in between). theres a water mains right outside so thats handy also. anyway i was basically just worried...i heard horror stories of pumped sewage systems going wrong and it flooding houses!! i guess any system can go wrong. so i was just looking for reassurance from anyone who has it installed!! thanks :) you can just tell i'm new to all this stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

anyone???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

zenzen wrote:
    hi everyone...yes i forgot to mention that there is an old cottage on the site which i am going restoring to the way it was so planning isn't an issue as its not being extended etc. have spoken with the county engineer who said the pumped system would be the way to go as the village sewage plant is very close (a bit of a field in between). theres a water mains right outside so thats handy also. anyway i was basically just worried...i heard horror stories of pumped sewage systems going wrong and it flooding houses!!any pics? i guess any system can go wrong. so i was just looking for reassurance from anyone who has it installed!! thanks :) you can just tell i'm new to all this stuff ;)

Ask the engineer for details of what system he thinks u should use.

In passing how are u going to get across the "bit of a field", do u own it?

What about ESB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CharlieMorrison

I am in the same situation. I have access to the town sewage system but I have about a 2 metre incline to contend with to access the main pipeline.
    I've been quoted for a holding tank, Sewage pump with an alarm, piping to the mainline for €2200+ VAT. How does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I am in the same situation. I have access to the town sewage system but I have about a 2 metre incline to contend with to access the main pipeline.
    I've been quoted for a holding tank, Sewage pump with an alarm, piping to the mainline for €2200+ VAT. How does that sound?
    Sounds like a decent price alright

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Just remember that with any pumped system, it is always good practice to install 2 pumps in whats known as duty/assist format so that in the event of one breaking down, the other can pump the sewage and avoid any nasty flooding issues. Also, you should conside installing a tank that will store up to 24hours of sewage as the pumps dont work in a power cut :eek: Typically for a single house 1000L storage would be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caitf

I am in a similar situation i have about a 1 metre incline to content would it be possible to get the name of the company you are using

• Advertisement
Advertisement