Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army to get HK USP

Options
  • 02-09-2006 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

In todays indo.Heading Irish army to get Tomb Raider guns.
    Basically the USP has won out against the Sig,Breatta and a few others.
    Looks like there might be a few cheap Brownings to be had folks.
    The USP is fine,would be better if it was an ambidexterous controlled gun.
    Especially the saftey.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

...would be better if it was an ambidexterous controlled gun.
    Especially the saftey.

My USP (Expert) has an ambidextrous safety, as does the Mark 23. Not sure about the rest of the range though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

USP is a nice piece of kit, But i suppose that means it's going to go on the idontlikethelookofthat list.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

No reason for it to be on the list at all.But in Ireland everything is done different.:rolleyes:
    The Expert is ambidex???All the HK website pics show them with right hand controls.Ditto for the mk 23,bar the saftey thats ambidex.But that sucker is HUGE!!!Almost twice the size and weight of a 1911.You might as well get a 45 ACP carbine then. Would like the USP tactical in 45,but unless I could get it in ambidex,I would stick with a 1911 mod.

most garda s would assume a pistol that is standard issue to pdf is a military must be a military pistol add that to the fact that 9mm is a military round as issued to pdf (and much more lethal than somthing half it size .45:rolleyes: ) a lot of supers are gonna try and get this baby on the restricted list.
    im glad i gotmy USP tact in 9mm last march:D :D

dfaf wrote:
    most garda s would assume a pistol that is standard issue to pdf is a military must be a military pistol add that to the fact that 9mm is a military round as issued to pdf (and much more lethal than somthing half it size .45:rolleyes: ) a lot of supers are gonna try and get this baby on the restricted list.
    im glad i gotmy USP tact in 9mm last march:D :D

Eh???a 9mm is more lethl than a 45????????:confused: Wonder why the US is going back to the 45 in their next service pistol proably.Which will be somthing like the USP tactical with refinements.No problem for me.Prefer the 45 when push comes to shove.The 9mm is just more common in the world. Hmm that would mean that the Hi power[BAP for those of a PDF backround] would be restricted as well,as it is a service weapon as well.But I suppose if you get a FEG[Hungarian copy of the Hi power] you would confuse them totally.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

Would like the USP tactical in 45,but unless I could get it in ambidex,I would stick with a 1911 mod.
    I have H&K in 45 usp expert and it has ambidexterus controlls.
    :D:D:D
    It is a lovely piece to shoot ,had a glock 17 before it and i could not get rid of it quick enough.

i hadnt heard that were considering changing back to 45, i know a lot of ther spec op boys had gone back to 45 FBI hrt teams are all using 45s (kimbers +springfields. the yanks should never have gone to 9mm, the 45 is a manstopper. it s history repeating itself they left the 38 because it was in adquete in the philpines turn of last century (give or take a few years)now its gonna happen again. i id also be a fan of the 45 i wanted to get a usp in 45 but the grip is to big(small hands) i wasnt able to comfortably access safety without changing my shooting grip. i had shot 9mm, .40 and 45 before so i had afair idea what was good for me. i had looked a kimber and springfields, some of the northern lads had probs with springfields and kimbers were too expensive 2k+.
    so i got a usp in 9mm (cheap ammo 90 euros for 500)
    have you considered a 10mm (colt delta elite)

dfaf wrote:
    i hadnt heard that were considering changing back to 45, i know a lot of ther spec op boys had gone back to 45 FBI hrt teams are all using 45s (kimbers +springfields. the yanks should never have gone to 9mm, the 45 is a manstopper. it s history repeating itself they left the 38 because it was in adquete in the philpines turn of last century (give or take a few years)now its gonna happen again. i id also be a fan of the 45 i wanted to get a usp in 45 but the grip is to big(small hands) i wasnt able to comfortably access safety without changing my shooting grip. i had shot 9mm, .40 and 45 before so i had afair idea what was good for me. i had looked a kimber and springfields, some of the northern lads had probs with springfields and kimbers were too expensive 2k+.
    so i got a usp in 9mm (cheap ammo 90 euros for 500)
    have you considered a 10mm (colt delta elite)

Colt Delta is out of production awhile. It wasnt a great seller,nor was the 10mm.Was never a fan of the 10mm,it didnt seem to fulfil a function like it was trying to get more power from a 9mm .So why not go to a 40S&W?
    If you want more power in a 45 go to 45 Win mag.
    If your hands are small,why not go for somthing like a Para Ord P10 or P12??
    They are compact and sub compact 45s 10 and 12 shot respectively.
    Or build a 45 type to your specs?

hillybilly wrote:
    I have H&K in 45 usp expert and it has ambidexterus controlls.
    :D:D:D
    It is a lovely piece to shoot ,had a glock 17 before it and i could not get rid of it quick enough.

The USP must be the only one with ambidex controls then?Cant find any others with an ambidex saftey or slide release.
    What did you find the problem with the Glock?Feel or DA only?

Colt Delta is out of production awhile. It wasnt a great seller,nor was the 10mm.Was never a fan of the 10mm,it didnt seem to fulfil a function like it was trying to get more power from a 9mm .So why not go to a 40S&W?
    If you want more power in a 45 go to 45 Win mag.
    If your hands are small,why not go for somthing like a Para Ord P10 or P12??
    They are compact and sub compact 45s 10 and 12 shot respectively.
    Or build a 45 type to your specs?
    to be honest i didnt try the LDA's after i read they needed alot of aftermarket tweaking to get everything perfect
    i id love a custom kimber

• Advertisement

Seems to be a problem with ALL the custom made 45s.They need tweaking out of the box.The Para ord is fine if you stay with SA.One of the best INMO is the Detonics,a classic built in stainless steel,that pioneered a few standard things on custom designs nowadays,like non bushings,etc.But it is only eight shot.Like all good things they are expensive,but well worth the $1000 price tag.Tere are rakes of 45 custom smiths out there in the EU and US who can build as good or better INMHO than Kimber or Bear,for alot less money. Thunder Ranch or Gunsite custom tuning is pretty good.
    Depends what you want it to do.If you want a race gun be prepared to spend dollars.I want mine to be more street /combat carry.So tack driving accuracy isnt a mega factor.It has to be reliable,carry 13 shots and be comfortable to wear in a shoulder /pants rig for long periods.Tri dot sights and ambidex saftey slide release is a must for me.I could use that I think for practical pistol???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not part of the pistol crowd but cheap brownings always sounds interesting, how would they go about offloading these?
    Will they just sell them bulk abroad or will we get a look in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

kowloon wrote:
    Not part of the pistol crowd but cheap brownings always sounds interesting, how would they go about offloading these?
    Will they just sell them bulk abroad or will we get a look in?

There are probably two ways this will be dealt with,

1st way = pack all Baps in packing cases,
    store in central located Army base indefinitely.

2nd way = pack all Baps in packing cases,
    take to central located Army base,
    bring in metal crusher crush Baps.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Looks like there might be a few cheap Brownings to be had folks.

The vast majority of the DF's BAP's are completely knackered & wouldn't be worth buying.

cushtac wrote:
    The vast majority of the DF's BAP's are completely knackered & wouldn't be worth buying.

It's a tribute to the design that they lasted this long.
    Well,if one was to be able to buy one say at 100 Euros,and allowed to pick&choose.
    Find one without a knackerd frame or slide.IE cracks appearing anywhere.
    Barrells will be borderline to end of life at best.
    A new hi power barrell from Gunparts USA is appx 40 dollars,worn parts are not that expensive and no problem to get for the Hi power model.There are at least four countries still making it and will interfit. OK dont expect beautiful NIB finish ,you will get a workhorse,or a starter gun ,with alot of history behind it,with a appropriate price tag.Say 150 Euros all in.Also it would be a good gun to customise as you see fit for target,practical ,etc.
    Dunno ,if any were issued but there might be a couple of Canadain Hi powers in there.They were the ones with the slot cut in the grip to accept a buttstock,and are becoming a premimum collector gun.
    Considering that the Irish govt sold off a rake of Lugers to a collector in Texas in the early 90s.That had been in storage for decades .Along with another rake of lee enfields apprently still boxed and greased to the US where you can pick them up for about 100 usd.Along with the Gustav Smg and BrenLMG,which are on the US market in "kit" format.I would say that is what will happen.
    Hmmm considering the current min of defence is my local TD.I willl drop into the clinic and ask him,what the story would be on this.
    Will post a reply on this as soon as I hear somthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

The glock just did not suit me.It felt verry snappy on the re coil.Even when i shot it with the .22 conversion it did not sit in my hand properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What's the USP selling for here, probably some rediculous value as it is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If they were going cheap enough it wouldnt matter if they were worn out, could always be relegated to a conversation piece.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a USP custom Sport in 9mm, great gun and a good choice by the army. Sig would have been better but there a gioiod bit more expensive.

Rew wrote:
    Iv a USP custom Sport in 9mm, great gun and a good choice by the army. Sig would have been better but there a gioiod bit more expensive.
    usp is 1050 euros and sig 226 around 1600.
    after a 1911 type semi i opted for a sig 226 till i saw the price
    I hear the there s alot of problems with the sig springs here in ireland, funny thing is its not happening as much any where else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I picked up the USP Custom Sport in 9mm for E880 so E1050 sound a bit overpriced! I also have the sig mosquito, which is known for its spring problems but at E300 you can live with it. To the best of my knowledge there are no problems with Sig full bore springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

Vegeta wrote:
    What's the USP selling for here, probably some rediculous value as it is Ireland

Try www.shoot.ie
    Great gun, shoots any ammo, even my home loads, well, most of the time, not the guns fault, bloody Lee reloader, don't start me on that topic, wish I had bought a Dillon.:mad:
    But buy with target adjustable sights, at 50 yds, pl14 all on black.
    :)
    Shay

Advertisement