Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop - Need specific advice

• 02-09-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, some of you may be glad to know this is not a general "which laptop is best" thread.

I am looking to upgrade from my behemoth Dell Inspiron 9100 to something more portable. Hopefully, by next week, i will be heading back to college to do a masters, so i will need a machine that it is light and portable, without sacrificing performance. I am not looking for a blazing gaming rig, i am more than happy to save that for my PC. So, what i need, in order of importance:

1) A light, portable laptop that can be carried in a regular Jansport style rucksack.
    2) Good battery performance, about 4 hrs but no less than 2.5 hrs.
    3) Good, sturdy build quality. My Dell was prone to mucho flexing and had an overall "cheap and plastic feel".
    4) Nothing too expensive, not over 2k euro, unless it gets an A+ in the 3 requirements above.

So, i have been reading a lot, however i find that the american reviewers all tend to complain about different things, many of which conflict with other reviews, and i have always found the advice here sound, so i have singled out these models. If anyone reading has one (or two, or three) of those listed, could you give it a quick thumbs up or down.

a)Acer Travelmate 3012 - this one seems to hit the sweetspot for me, although never having used an acer i cant judge its quality/reliability.

b)Alienware Sentia m3450 - this too would be ideal, however i have heard too many horror stories about build and service/support.

c)Sony VAIO SZ2 - again, lloks nice but some dodgy reviews.

d)HP Pavilion dv1000t - great reviews, but ive never liked HP laptops, is this one as plastic as others i have seen?

e)Dell Inspiron 6400 - well, well...look who came crawling back! Ok, so i dont mind buying another dell, but ive heard they get hot and are a bit bulky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ok, so im not really bumping this, just altering my query.

I really wanted a vaio, but the price and some reports of suspect build quality put me off. Two of my friends have vaios and they seem fine, but i have read a bit about components failing and the like, so have been turned off somewhat.

Call me a slave to convention, or maybe im just stuck in my ways, but i have decided to take the "crawling back to dell" option.

Im gonna choose between a 6400, and XPS m1210 and a 640m.

Personally, i would prefer the 640m. At 14.1 inches, its just the right size, not too small and not too big. I dont really want to get the xps and then get integrated graphics, for that price it seems like the 640m is better value as a student notebook with the odd game of starcraft (yes, i do on occasion take a trip back to 1998) or football manager.

Im picking integrated graphics for the whole battery life/heat issue, though if there is an alternative discrete solution, let me know.

So, my question is:

Can anyone who has a 640m vouch for the screen quality? I have heard the screen is awful, but of course, not being able to see one i have no idea.

Thanks in advance, just hope someone replies:rolleyes:

Advertisement