Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Trek 1500 - what price?

Options
  • 02-09-2006 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

HaHaHa... That got your attention...:eek:

Im going to buy a second hand Trek 1500. What is a decent price to pay for this. Not really sure of its condition or the mileage done.

What would be a reasonable offer for one though.

What do they cost new?

Please reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Misleading thread titles are not appreciated on any forums and will win you no friends.

Your question is impossible to answer, a trek 1500 costs between 1300-1600 depending on the deals available at the time. If its nearly new expect to pay a thousand or more if it has had parts upgraded, if its in bits, then expect to pay very little, question is impossible to answer unless the condition and spec of the bike is known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Lighten up! :) But yeah, spec and condition...?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Sorry, not trying to annoy anyone - just trying to get some help.

A Trek 1500 2004 with a Ultegra set. Not really sure of the mileage but seems to be in good shape from the pictures - http://new.photos.yahoo.com/duffyshuffle

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Ok, not a roadie at all, but I'd say €900.. provided it's all in v.good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Looks like Ultegra 9. Good groupset, wouldn't be too bothered with the 10's, Armstrong won his first 3 or 4 tours on Dura Ace 9's, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have beaten him with the 10's.

Bike looks ok, from the pics, I'll bet its a little shabby when you get up close. I was offered one of those new in 2004 for 1300 by O'Mahonys bike shop in Dungarvan (rrp was 1600), Waterford and also in some other place in Cork (it rides very well by the way). So unless its perfect I think 900 is a bit rich to be honest. One of my bikes is a 00 Trek 5500, and I used to love those bikes, find the Bontrager stuff a little cheap though.

The bike probably hasn't got all that much Mileage, looks like the original tires are still on it. I'd say 800 would be a nice price, haggle like hell, summer is over, in the next few months there is no market for second hand road bikes at all, so the guy won't be inundated with offers.

Whilst bargaining, he may state that this is a 1600 euro bike, point out that the older groupset reduces its value (but not its rideability let me assure you), wear and tear, new tyres maybe, some pedals that actually match the bike, the older model bontrager stuff which is most likely heavier, check the paintwork, the gearshifts, brakes etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Mileage does count and maintenance history.

The chains will need to be replaced approx every 2k miles. Otherwise the cogs will shows signs of wear. Check when you see it is there evidence of the cogs getting sharp. Higher mileage and other components may require replacing. A good bike shop will give accurate data on what is required. Remember you are paying for a slighly lighter frame and a better spec'd components. Its your money.

Was it maintained by owner or shop. Both can be bad or good. But it is worth knowing before you buy.

I have a 1500 and it is a very nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Down with that sort of thread title... you would have gotten the same answers anyway and you're not making any friends by doing that. After a quick google search, I'd say offer €750, it's a buyers market and you have got a decent haggling platform from using Quigs Snr's post alone. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

**** you, give me free bike stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Sorry about the title - shouldnt have put that up but just wanted to catch your attention.

Thanks for the advice anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I've got an '06 1500, it rides very nicely. An '04 should be equally good.
    I agree with the advice above, but want to stress the bit about assessing the wear on the cogs from an old chain. I'd say it's worth bringing a tape measure to check the chain (if it's the original one).
    If the chain slips when cycling hard, this is an indication that the cassette is wrecked. Not a reason not to buy the bike, but to offer a lower price.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement