Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Out

Options
  • 03-09-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I have had a lot of hassles getting my HiAce through it's DOE. Not because it's a heap, but because of the time of year - everyone's on holidays

I put it up, after a wait, on August 12th, and it failed on a wishbone and bushes. The parts took a while to get, and I put the wishbone in myself, but i don't want to tackle the bushes. My mechanic can't do them til Tuesday, and then I'll have to DOE it again.

My problem is, the tax was out at the end of July, and I can't tax it without a DOE cert.

My question is, how sympathetic are the boys in blue gonna be if I'm stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 madpanfan

Are you sure that you need DOE in order to Tax it?
    The nct is not needed to tax cars anymore as far as I know.

Keep the failure cert from the Doe centre with you, and also the tax form, and the receipt from the new parts, just to show that you are making an effort to get it all fixed and legal again.
    And obviously don't give them any other reason to stop you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DOE is required to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I know this is being pedantic, but the Hiace does not need a doe test as it is under 2 tons. It only needs a crw test, certificate of roadworthiness. I know I know picky.

Most people are not aware though that there are 3 types of vehicle test.
    The doe for vehicles over 2 tons, been around for ages.
    The crw test, came in when I used to own vans, the cheek.
    The nct for cars, well you all know when that came in.

Gone are the days when you could tax your Hiace for 46 Pounds, and sure a fiver in the right place it could relax gravity.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

So where would I get that? And can I tax it with a CRW?

Nic eone, BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

stratos wrote:
    I know this is being pedantic, but the Hiace does not need a doe test as it is under 2 tons. It only needs a crw test, certificate of roadworthiness. I know I know picky.

Most people are not aware though that there are 3 types of vehicle test.
    The doe for vehicles over 2 tons, been around for ages.
    The crw test, came in when I used to own vans, the cheek.

I think you're getting a bit confused. :)

"DOE" and "CRW" are pretty much 2 aspects of the same thing: A "DOE" is called a "DOE" because it is a roadworthiness test administered and controlled by the DOE (Department of the Environment.)

It is carried out by test centres who give you a test pass statement which you submit to the tax office with a fee (either 6 or 13 euros) and receive a CRW (Certificate of Roadworthiness) in return.

You need one every year and weight only comes into it in that you either do an LGV (light-goods vehicle) test or a HGV (heavy goods vehicle) test.

And colm_mcm is right, you CAN'T renew the tax until the test in done and you give in the pass statement. :(

Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You could tax it online as far as i know you can tax your car on d'internet without NCT/DOE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

It's my first time taxing the van since I bought it, so no renewal pin.

Advertisement