Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Revision Books

Options
  • 03-09-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,

What does everybody think of those leaving cert revision books that the shops are selling??

Are they worth the money?

Can anybody recommend a particular brand of book?

CS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

No, they're all just a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Conor S wrote:
    Hi all,

What does everybody think of those leaving cert revision books that the shops are selling??

Are they worth the money?

Can anybody recommend a particular brand of book?

CS

Hi Conor,

I bought a load of those revision books last year for my leaving but if i'm honest I really only crammed the day before each exam so they weren't particularly beneficial. That said, if you have a very mediocre text book, as I did for Biology (it was tiny compared to the other ones in the shop and pretty hard to use) I would recommend getting one to supplement the information in the book. if I was to recommend a brand I suppose it would be Rapid Revision. OOHHHHHHH I just remembered! I DID use a book for my Irish Oral, just called "The Irish Oral", I will try to find the publisher. I found that excellent, it had the sliochts on cd and everything and was done out question by question! got an "A" in higher level irish so must have done me some good!

Hope these ramblings were of use!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

No, they're all just a waste of money.

IDD, most of them are a load of horsesh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

the less stress ones are good

Pez wrote:
    the less stress ones are good

Yeah. But again, they all just contain exactly what is in your book already. Apart from my crappy biology experience. But on the whole, in hindsight, you really don't NEED any.

• Advertisement

Papillon87 wrote:
    Yeah. But again, they all just contain exactly what is in your book already. Apart from my crappy biology experience. But on the whole, in hindsight, you really don't NEED any.

yeah.. but some books are crap. like the geo one'todays world' . that made no sense 2 me so id recommend the less stress one for that :)

Pez wrote:
    yeah.. but some books are crap. like the geo one'todays world' . that made no sense 2 me so id recommend the less stress one for that :)

Yeah, I was agreeing with you there!! I had a TERRIBLE Biology book, I mean seriously I don't know how it got onto a shelf. So I used a revision book for biology, which was quite scary on one hand because there was sooo much information which wasn't in my book at all!

Papillon87 wrote:
    Yeah, I was agreeing with you there!! I had a TERRIBLE Biology book, I mean seriously I don't know how it got onto a shelf. So I used a revision book for biology, which was quite scary on one hand because there was sooo much information which wasn't in my book at all!

haha ye i had a crap bio book too. It's a shock when things are narrowed down in revision books and u see just how much u dont know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I found the Economics Less Stress good because my book was terribly waffly. It's very concise though so only use it if you already know the stuff and want a quick revision. The Physics Rapid Revision lays out definitions and formulae in a handy fashion and again, I found useful because my book was poor. Those were the only two I found any good. The This is Poetry series of English notes are really good but overpriced and not really necessay unless you feel you need something extra to push for an A1. Even then you could probably find adequate notes for free on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Some of them are.

I didn't think the Business one (Less Stress More Success) was very good. It didn't shorten anything, made every sound more complicated and harder to learn off, etc. :( I wouldn't recommend revision books off that.

My German one is helpful though, but that's in comparison to my German book being aimed for the A levels (Or GCSES? One or the other), and didn't have any Leaving Cert related stuff in it.

You're probably best off flicking through the books in the shop and seeing if they are any good. Preferably if you know anyone who has just done sixth year, get the books off them. That way they have to be worth the money. ;)

It depends on the subject really, and what you're looking for in the book. The maths ones just have loads of questions worked out. On one hand that could be useless but on the other helpful. I don't have an English one. I mean what would be in it? Even more poetry notes, examples of different styles of writing, tips on how to write an essay? I personally wouldn't find that useful, but if you have a bad English teacher or never got around to listening, it could be helpful. :)
    Can anyone recommend a particular brand of book?

I think the Rapid Revision books are very good for Biology and Physics, the layout is very convenient. They are very small compared to actual textbooks sothe sheer volume of information isn't overwhelming. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I recommend making your own notes instead of using the revision books. It's easier to learn IMO! Having said that, Rapid Revision Chemistry was very useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

the geography rapid revision book saved my ass!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

I found the physics 'Less stress..' book good for just getting everything organised in your head, though it did leave out some stuff on the honours course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I recommend making your own notes instead of using the revision books. It's easier to learn IMO! Having said that, Rapid Revision Chemistry was very useful
    I agree with the chemistry one, the rest of em are jus plain sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

can anyone reccomend one for business??? :(

i gave up accounting yesterday and i took up business.....its not being done in school so im planning on teaching it to myself :eek:

yeah i know, a 2 year sylabus in like 5 months ((i want it finished for the pre's so i can decide to drop to ordinary level depending on the result))

is there any revision book that has answers to exampapers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i didnt buy any of them, apart from an essay writing one for English, which helped with the comparative a good bit, and the different type of styles youre meant to write in.. but even still, it was a bit unnecessary.
    also i had the book that goes with the Discovery Poetry book, with notes on all teh poems... but again, that was just sorta for my own interest..!

The Less Stress Geog one seemed pretty good, i had a good look at one of my friend's a few times, and it looked good.

But mostly i'd say dont bother really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

use the business one, my teacher wrote it! i never use the text book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

use the business one, my teacher wrote it! i never use the text book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ~flammable~

the less stress chem and economics ones were good...but yeah, making ur own notes is much better me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Seinas wrote:
    less stress for leaving cert business higher level by john f o sullivan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Physics Rapid Revision is THE best book for revision. Get it if your doing physics, its brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Papillon87 wrote:

I started using two Less Stress books. The Business one, so I can have two perspectives on the course. And the Music because I dossed in sixth year and now I've got a lot to learn. But TBH just buy a Ray Charles album and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Papillon87 wrote:

My biology book is decent enough I suppose, but I am unable to draw any of the diagrams. :( In the book they're all artistic and 3-D, and when my stick men look dodgy, it's quite clear that my biology diagrams just suck. :p The revision book I have, just gives plain clear diagrams. Granted, my versions still suck, but at least now they vaugely resemble what they're supposed to be. :rolleyes:

The book could be more thorough, but it's worth the money just for the simple diagrams.

So, my advice? If you can't draw very well, pick up a revision book. You mightn't need it, but it certainly helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You dont need these study books to do well.

You just need to go up to your room take out your text book and study
    its as simple as. These revision books only give people a false sense of security
    because they are so small.

You must learn things not just learn words.

Advertisement