Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary exhibitions in Ireland

Options
  • 03-09-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I just noticed a sticky thread in the "art appreciation" sub-forum, and thought there should be a similar one dealing with literature-related exhibitions on in Ireland; a thread where these can be discussed, criticised, recommended etc.

I'm thinking of exihibitions like the absolutely fantastic Yeats exhibition currently on in the National Library, or the excellent Beckett exhibition on in the National Gallery (more to do with art, but certainly of interest to literature enthusiasts), there was also a nice small Beckett exhibition on in Trinity Library a few months ago but it may be gone now. This thread could also be used to discuss places like the Irish Writers Centre, James Joyce Centre etc.

Has anyone been to the Yeats exhibition? What did you make of it. I was very impressed. Even more than I was by their previous Joyce exhibition. Apparently lots of it will be going up online soon (http://www.nli.ie/yeats/), but not much yet. It's definately worth a look even if Yeats isn't your cup of tea: four films, lots of original manuscripts, amazing turning the page digitizations of notebooks, really dense installations on The Tower and on the "book art" of Yeats' books. They had some of the poems being read by different people, some of them were pretty horrible, but Heaney read one which sounded grea. I'm not hugely into WB Yeats, but I'll certainly make a second visit. What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cyne

No interest in this kind of thread then? Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm interested but I've nothing to say as I haven't seen the Yeats exhibition and don't know of any other exhibitions on at the moment. Patience, someone with something worthwhile to add will arrive soon. I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cyne

Thanks John.
    Other than the Yeats (which you really should try and see), the National Gallery has a fantastic exhibition on Beckett at the moment. They also have something small on GB Shaw but its hardly worth going out of your way for. Beckett (NGI) and Yeats (NLI) are superb though. I think Joyce centre may have something on at the moment too, but not sure.

Yes, I hope somebody responds - otherwise, I can see this thread drifting too far down the list to be noticed by anyone. If it were Sticky it could be a nice way to find out about literary exhibitions in less obvious places than the NLI. I'm sure there must be lots on around Dublin...

Thanks again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sounds like a good idea. Just have to wait for responses to the thread for a week or two.

Advertisement