Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

The symbol on the screen is for the Traffic Message Channel service - which is not available in Ireland. Best to switch it off in the Options menu (second page) to give you more screen real estate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Hi
    My dad drives for a living and one of his most fond posessions is his michellin road. For that reason i am thinking of getting him a airis sat nav system for christmas.
    The problem is my father, like i assume many irish fathers is not to the best with technology. Do you think that the system is user friendly enough for a person who has no experience with computers?
    Is there a touchscreen keyboard to enter a destination or is the destination specified by locating it on a map?
    Cheers
    JP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Bicky wrote:
    Hi
    My dad drives for a living and one of his most fond posessions is his michellin road. For that reason i am thinking of getting him a airis sat nav system for christmas.
    The problem is my father, like i assume many irish fathers is not to the best with technology. Do you think that the system is user friendly enough for a person who has no experience with computers?
    Is there a touchscreen keyboard to enter a destination or is the destination specified by locating it on a map?
    Cheers
    JP

Bicky, I would deffo reccommend the airis. The unit has a full on screen keyboard which has large icons for each letter of the alphabet for inputting placenames. The software is very user friendly.
    If you are in sandyford industrial est sometime, pop into mysatnav.ie and they will give you a demo no prob. In fact they will demo all the gps they sell inc garmin, and you can make up your mind from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eirlink wrote:
    If you are in sandyford industrial est sometime, pop into mysatnav.ie and they will give you a demo no prob.

Hmm might pop into mysatnav and get a demo of the airis and select "avoid motorways" for a long journey and ask them what the story is when it fails!!

• Advertisement

Hmm might pop into mysatnav and get a demo of the airis and select "avoid motorways" for a long journey and ask them what the story is when it fails!!

Be great if you could..let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

thinking of buying one of the AIRIS units. Just wondering can I enter my destination by clicking at a location on the map, or is it only by typing in the desination? Also, is a stylus needed for selecting items on the screen, or can it be done with your finger?

tipperary wrote:
    Hi

thinking of buying one of the AIRIS units. Just wondering can I enter my destination by clicking at a location on the map, or is it only by typing in the desination? Also, is a stylus needed for selecting items on the screen, or can it be done with your finger?

Yes, you can enter destination by clicking on the map. Also you can use your finger to input as well. I have one and almost never use the stylus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

hi,

i just bought one of these and received it today from pixmania.
    im wondering is there anyway to turn off british destintaions on the map?
    all i see is hundred of uks destinations with 1 or 2 irihs ones mixed in the list.

makes it fairly awkward to use.....

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just read this thread last week.

I've now got my old QTek PDA and Garmin Bluetooth GPS Receiver with EU Maps up on eBay - the Irish coverage on it was terrible, but I had used it for work trips to the UK.

Hopefully I'll be able to make nearly enough to get one of the Airis units !!!

Fingers crossed.....

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    hi,

i just bought one of these and received it today from pixmania.
    im wondering is there anyway to turn off british destintaions on the map?
    all i see is hundred of uks destinations with 1 or 2 irihs ones mixed in the list.

after you type in your irish destination type "ire" at the end, think that works

is that the only way around it?
    ive never seen one that needs you to do that.

it takes away from the simplicity of it.
    i think ill be returning it if thats the case.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've a new job where I could be driving anywhere in ireland a couple of times a week, mostly west of the country I suppose. This seems to be just the thing to make sure I make it there and back! I've had a read through the last 8 pages and all seems pretty positive. Would you guys think the airis is the best one for ireland for this price?

Is there a manual I can download?

Oh, any more discount offers / cheaper places than pixmania? :)

I Have the Airis and it works well for me and It was the cheapest with the best coverage of Ireland that I could find.

I have the Route 66 (software) Manual if ya want a look drop me a PM
    (I dont think it's against any rules??)

Mik

mik_da_man,
    do you enter ire after all your search terms too?

does anyone know if theres an ireland specific map,
    or is possible to load different software onto the unit?

Curse you information age! (Just ordered it).

subway wrote:
    mik_da_man,

Subway can you give an example of an address you're typing in so I can replicate it

subway wrote:
    mik_da_man,

I never enter ire on my addresses, and i have only found a few times that a lot of UK addresses come up.
    It does not really bother me to be honest - just takes a few secs to get the correct one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Has anybody noticed whether the Airis works better in some cars than others? I'm driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe this week and have noticed that when I turn on the satnav in the car after it being turned off inside the house, it takes an age to locate a satellite - often as long as 20 mins. In any other cars, it would find a satellite nearly instantly.

I've also noticed that it isn't always totally accurate in this car. For example, today I was apparently driving along at 100 km/h in a field parallel to the road (congratulations to the farmer btw, you have a commendably smooth field!). Also, the other day, it was telling me that I was at locations about 10m before I actually was.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the windscreen - the 407 has a very long sloping screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Has anybody noticed whether the Airis works better in some cars than others? I'm driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe this week and have noticed that when I turn on the satnav in the car after it being turned off inside the house, it takes an age to locate a satellite - often as long as 20 mins. In any other cars, it would find a satellite nearly instantly.

I've also noticed that it isn't always totally accurate in this car. For example, today I was apparently driving along at 100 km/h in a field parallel to the road (congratulations to the farmer btw, you have a commendably smooth field!). Also, the other day, it was telling me that I was at locations about 10m before I actually was.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the windscreen - the 407 has a very long sloping screen?

Definatly shouldn't take 20 mins after switching on to pick up a satellite - mine takes about 1 min max (Megane). It's always accurate, except where the roads are very new (the flyover on the N7 beside Jonhstown haulage is not on it, as well as the new road over near Longford).
    But as soon as you come back near the original road it picks it's up straight away.
    Fantastic piece of kit, I'd recommend it to anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Has anybody noticed whether the Airis works better in some cars than others? I'm driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe this week

If the windscreen of the car is one of those new-fangled heated ones then it will have minute bits of wire in it which will affect the performance of the sat nav such as you mentioned. One recommendation I know of to correct it is to get an external aerial.

Jip wrote:
    If the windscreen of the car is one of those new-fangled heated ones then it will have minute bits of wire in it which will affect the performance of the sat nav such as you mentioned. One recommendation I know of to correct it is to get an external aerial.

I ahve one of thoose "new-fangled" windscreens on my focus and it works fine. and I mailed a guy from mysatnav.ie and he said he has never seen any problems with them

But and airel aerial may help

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You must have the cheapo version Milkman. Seriously though, they do have an effect on satnav units, maybe your windscreen is slightly different than others but I know that some do have an effect.

What about the location in the car, any obstructions nearby blocking it?

Btw, got mine today. Very impressed with it so far. Have my trip to charleville tuesday all planned out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Jip wrote:
    You must have the cheapo version Milkman. Seriously though, they do have an effect on satnav units, maybe your windscreen is slightly different than others but I know that some do have an effect.

i also drive a focus and drive approx 1000 miles a week and never had a problem with the signal.

I ordered mine today :)

Made just enough on eBay on my old PDA and bluettoth receiver to pay for it via PayPal.

Happy days !!

Bah! My road isn't on it, and the house is built three years. My brothers house, only two years old is there! Noooooo! How will I find my way home?! :D

Can somebody post a full list of what should be in the box, so I can check after I sign for it, and before the courier guy disappears (seeing as quite a few people had stuff missingout of theres) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

deadl0ck wrote:
    Can somebody post a full list of what should be in the box, so I can check after I sign for it, and before the courier guy disappears (seeing as quite a few people had stuff missingout of theres) ?

Mine was sealed in original plastic wrap, so thats the best thing to look out for!

As long as you have the unit itself, a USB cable, car charger and the "Navigate 7" CD (which comes in a blue and yellow DVD-like case) you should be ok. The SD Card will be inside the Navigate 7 case.

• Advertisement

Airis box inside of brown box. Airis box in my case was sealed with one of those strong plastic straps. As said above, usb cable, car mount, holder to attach to mount, sealed dvd case containing dvd and sd card. Car charger.

Advertisement