Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

cheers for the prompt reply eirlink!!

Thanks

Branners

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

branners69 wrote:
    Have the Airis for a week now and was wondering when I select a location and it asks me to "Start new navigation" and I select yes..

Can I view the route it has selected from start to finish?? Say if I was going from Dublin to Wexford and I want to see the entire route so as to decide where to stop off for a bite to eat!!

By the way am very happy with this product, Pixmania was a bit rocky and I doubt I will use them again!!

Branners

Or you can choose plan a route and it will show you the full route I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Quick question guys.. Did ye all get an A/C adapter in the box with this so ye can charge it. The box said there should have been one inside. I mailed pixmania but no joy yet so still have'nt been able to use it. I tried charging it using my cigarette lighter but I think the lighter might be broke. Oh and can ye tell me how long the battery lasts after a full charge? Cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

All I got was a USB cable which allows you to charge it on your Computer

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Ok been reading through the other posts, seems ac adapter doesnt come with the model I bought but got it charging through the computer. Says No GPS now hope its cos im indoors!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Arathorn wrote:
    Says No GPS now hope its cos im indoors!

Yeah, it doesnt work indoors. Pop it into you car and wait about 2 mins for it to "find" where it is, then you are all set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

MarkR wrote:
    Or you can choose plan a route and it will show you the full route I think.

Cheers MarkR that was what I was looking for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

the TomTom go 910 any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I just got the T920 from Pixmania last week, great little gadget and a blody good price. The maps are a little out of date I think though. I found that a new road that opened up earlier in the year wasn't on it. Will be taking it to Dublin this weekend so I'll see how I get on there.

I thought there was going to be an mp3 player built in, but there's not. Having trouble finding out if you can install that option too.

Overall very good value, well pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

have to say i'm just on the edge of buying nuvi 310, been checkin it out for a while now and it seems to have the edge, i mean this thing works out of the box and really straightforward to use. I was blown away by the bluetooth feature, i've looked at other bluetooth stereos i.e.sony and pioneer and as good as they all are they have quirks.microphones and several attemps to mate with phone (nokia 6600) but the nuvi 310 from garmin is sweet. just does it no problems also the display is really clear and easy to read touch screen plus all the rest mp3, pouch and the guy where i hope to buy it from was really straight about the thing plus a reaaly good price. if there are new versions of the software coming well thats the same with all this gear right? you just update as and when you need to Garmin seem to have dropped v8 so thats that. Happy days!! i reackon i'll pick one up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Has anyone heard from mysatnav or elsewhere about how or when the problem with the AIRIS as regards avoiding motorways/out of memory issue will be fixed??

ps for anyone wanting a good ac adaptor for the Airis T920 I purchased the following from Maplin electronics in Jervis Street and it works a treat - an ac adaptor with usb port!

see the picture here
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/N99CJ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dsmasher

anyone know how to turn off that bloody annoying clicking sound with the Airis? Dear god make it stop!!!! ....:mad:

otherwise a great buy :D :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

OK I got my Airis today but im having a problem. Just after i select which maps i want to install it says "Please connect your memory card reader/writer to a USB port of your PC and insert your memory card"
    I have tried the usual, reinstalling and uninstalling the software. It connects with Active sync OK. The SD card is in the correct way also. Anyone have any ideas?

yes i had the same problem but it's resolved now.
    As far as I remember I posted the same problem in this thread somewhere (busy atm but will look later at home) and I think someone posted a reply.

From memory, I took the card out of the Airis and connected it directly to the computer using a card reader. Then I reformatted it. It worked thereafter.
    I would go back on this thread however and look for the original solution.

Thats worked perfectly, thanks dsmasher. Going for a spin now to see how she works. Anyone got any handy tips for this one? or is it as straight forward as it seems? Thanks again :D

yeah no problem.

Yes it is as straight forward as it looks.

As for tips ...

1. Bring your Car charger with you at all times.
    The battery life is fairly rubbish.

2. Change the view to a 3D angle.
    This severity of this angle can be adjusted in the settings.
    I have mine at a faily low angle so I can see the roads coming.

3. I have turned off the Auto Zoom function which helps with No.2 above.
    When you're in the city it just zooms in too close and if you don't know where you are going it helps to have a good overview. My preference.

4. It's not perfect and it can tell you to go down one-way streets!
    Just be aware of this but it's not a huge problem eg. Mary street, off Henry Street :)

5. If you are a learner driver make sure to use the Avoid Motorways function! it's really helpful.

6. I have my arrow and warning functions running down the right hand side of the screen (vertical) as opposed to the horizontal way (optional). I think it gives you more road screen.

7. The Next turn icon (top right) and countdown indicator to that turn, is really handy for changing lanes when you don't know again where you are going. It's turned on all the time so use it.

8. I use the Meters setting (Units) as it gives you a 300mtr warning as opposed to a 300yrds warning. Just gives you more time!! :D

All really good so enjoy.

The only issues I have is with :
    1. Battery (crap life)
    2. Really annoying clicking sound! If you find a solution please tell!
    3. And the time and date settings seem to get mixed up sometimes with the overall settings and the settings within Route 66.

Great buy. Nit picking :)

Been using it all day today and I'm very pleased with it. The maps are very uptodate and accurate. The beeping hasn't started to annoy me yet but I'm sure it will soon. My brother has a fairly modern Garmin (not sure which model) which is lovely unit but its much more bulkier than mine, not that it makes much difference any way.

Im going down the country tommorow so ill see how good the maps are down there.

Has anyone heard from mysatnav or elsewhere about how or when the problem with the AIRIS as regards avoiding motorways/out of memory issue will be fixed??

Can everyone with the Airis try doing a journey plan over a hundred miles with avoid motorways on and see does everyone get the "out of memory" problem?

Or has anyone found a fix?

Have you tried adding additional waypoints?

MarkR wrote:
    Have you tried adding additional waypoints?

Yes but that defeats the purpose of finding the shortest route. also, you should not have to workaround an obvious bug in the software!

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a bug, more of a limitation. It does only have a finite amount of memory for calculating a route, and adding the additional paramaters obviously exceeds it's available memory. Then again, what is there, two motorways in Ireland? How much memory can it take to ignore them. :)

Seriously though, waypoints or break it into sections. I tried on mine to do one from shannon to belfast avoiding motorways (after reading your post - I have a fulll liscence and don't need to avoid them!) and had the same problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I had the out of memory problem aswell planning a route from Dublin to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm buying satnav and a bluetooth car kit but can't make up my mind
    Option 1
    Parrot 3200 Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit + Colour LCD - €193.83
    AIRIS GPS navigator T920EF Europe - €266
    Total - €459.83

Option 2
    Garmin StreetPilot c510 Ireland, UK from pixmania - €323.50
    Total - €323.50 (€136 saving)

The advantages of the Garmin system is that it is less wires and its an all in one device. However I do not plan on leaving a sat nav system in my car permanently(for security reasons) so it would be hassle taking it in and out each time. A hassle I probably wouldn't bother with on a daily basis meaning that I wouldn't have a handsfree kit in my car fulltime (I think that's decided it for me)
    Basically, has anyone had any experience of the Garmin system, in particular as a handsfree kit(quality of sound/mic etc)? I've used the Parrot bluetooth systems before and they work flawlessly. Some feedback appreciated.

Edit: Just noticed the Airis gives European maps as opposed to just UK/Ireland, that is a major plus also. I think i'm 99% sure I'll be choosing Option 1.

MarkR wrote:
    Then again, what is there, two motorways in Ireland? How much memory can it take to ignore them. :)

Exactly - I think it's a bug in the software and has nothing to do with memory - this bug was identified by gpspassion.com. If it were a memory error it would try to plan the route before eventually producing a memory error - not as soon as you press the button.

Hey podge - could you post a direct link to the part about the airis? Site returns a lot of french results when I search it. Thanks! Did I see something about it playing divx?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

dal wrote:
    Hey there, I was reading on a french forum over here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53123&whichpage=17

that if you enable the options "avoid motorways and tolls" then it will run out of memory calculating on long journeys.

Can you let me know if this is your problem? I don't actually have and airis yet (but hopefully soon as it looks like the best thing out there for the money). If this is not your problem I will read more in the french thread to see if it might be something else.

Oh yes, and they also say that it has nothing to do with the size of your SD card.
    see above

yep, change above link to page 47 and a direct quote about the motorways is made by fifileboss half way down page 47 of the thread:

"Toutefois, comme je l'ai déjà dit maintes fois dans ce forum, il suffit de cocher "avec autoroutes" et sans "péages" et il n'y a plus de problème de mémoire pour calculer un grand itinéraire. "

So if you don't avoid motorways but DO avoid tolls the problem will not occur - BUT - that may be fine in France where avoiding tolls also avoids motorways - but in Ireland avoiding tolls will still bring you onto a motorway stretch that doesn't have tolls - so its not a perfect fix.

Regarding Divx read here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56010

You're a brave man if you try - but if you wanna be a guinea pig for the rest of us...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I ran the above DivX hack and it turns the unit into a lovely little handheld PC. It takes a little playing with as the OS is in Spanish and some of the desktop icons are of no use to you.

You also have to put a new shortcut to the route 66 software but once you find your way around and set things up you have a unit that will play MP3's and DivX movies.

It is easily reset back to the original setup and the saved gps data is still there too.

Now off to order an extra 2GB SD card.

Cal.

Edit: Possible frame rate issues!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well that near enough seals it for me.. gonna order one n see what its like.. If it aint for me i guess it'll be on adverts before xmass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

To check out the Windows CE without loading anything you can do the following.

Turn off unit using slide switch on the bottom. Then turn it back on and hold the power button on the side of the unit while it is rebooting. This will bring up an error message "Error: There is no DM in SD Card". Just click on 'Si' and you are in. You can then run any Win CE apps you may wish to load onto your SD card. There are plenty available out there.

Cal.

Advertisement