Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

unklerosco wrote:
    Well that near enough seals it for me.. gonna order one n see what its like..
    Me too....just placed my order...can't wait for it to arrive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

dsmasher wrote:
    anyone know how to turn off that bloody annoying clicking sound with the Airis? Dear god make it stop!!!! ....:mad:

otherwise a great buy :D :cool:

Follow the instructions in THE DIVX THREAD to get into windows CE and then go to the control panel. At the bottom of the control panel you will find the sound settings. From there you can turn the volume down to zero. It will stop the clicking but also stops all sound from the unit too.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Did anyone manage to get a divx playing?? When I put a divx file on my mem card it seems to corrupt it!!

Just wondering have others have had success??

I've had no problem playing DivX. Are you putting the file on the card direct or via usb?

Cal.

Cal wrote:
    I've had no problem playing DivX. Are you putting the file on the card direct or via usb?

Cal.

I was mainly trying it directly to the card whenever I tried via the usb it wanted to convert it!!

Do you know what version of divx it plays? The files I was using were Divx 3, I might try a divx 5!!

• Advertisement

If it makes any difference I was using the USB for transfer. I let it convert and it works perfectly.

Cal.

Cal wrote:
    If it makes any difference I was using the USB for transfer. I let it convert and it works perfectly.

Cal.

I'll try that so, cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bushido

Cal wrote:
    I ran the above DivX hack and it turns the unit into a lovely little handheld PC. It takes a little playing with as the OS is in Spanish and some of the desktop icons are of no use to you.

You also have to put a new shortcut to the route 66 software but once you find your way around and set things up you have a unit that will play MP3's and DivX movies.

It is easily reset back to the original setup and the saved gps data is still there too.

Now off to order an extra 2GB SD card.

Cal.

Edit: Possible frame rate issues!!

Hi Cal.

I have bought one of these Airis T920 as well with full Europe mapping (evnen Eastern-Europe) and it works fine however I did not have the MP3 function installed. I made this divx hack and it's installed now, working OK. The only problem is that as you said a shortcut should be added to the navigation software. Can you pls tell me how to do that. Otherwise I always have to reset and go into the OS this way and than restart again.

Thank you very much,
    Bushido

bushido wrote:
    Hi Cal.

I have bought one of these Airis T920 as well with full Europe mapping (evnen Eastern-Europe) and it works fine however I did not have the MP3 function installed. I made this divx hack and it's installed now, working OK. The only problem is that as you said a shortcut should be added to the navigation software. Can you pls tell me how to do that. Otherwise I always have to reset and go into the OS this way and than restart again.

Thank you very much,
    Bushido

Goto Start - Programas - Explorador de Windows - Storage Card - (single click on) Route 66 -

Now click on 'Archivo' in the top left - Enviar a - Escritorio como acceso directo

There is now a shortcut on your desktop.

It is the same for setting other shortcuts too.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bah... mine was meant ot be delivered today. Was out in one of the vans but it never turned up.. Have to wait till monday now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bushido

Cal wrote:
    Goto Start - Programas - Explorador de Windows - Storage Card - (single click on) Route 66 -

Now click on 'Archivo' in the top left - Enviar a - Escritorio como acceso directo

Cal.

Hi Ca.

Thank you very much. It's working well now. I actually added this OziExplorer as well. Now I just have to activate it...

Thank you once more,
    Bushido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

The touchscreen was dodgy on mine from day 1 (got it 2 weeks ago).
    I sent the whole lot back today, hopefully they'll send me a new/fixed one soon.
    Let's see how good Pixmania are with returns....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Cal wrote:

Cal.

Cal

seems the spanish version of Win CE was loaded in factory...is there any way to revert this to english, or would it need a fresh install to do this ??

AFAIK. A full English install would be required. This would invalidate the warranty and as you would have no way of returning the unit to Spanish I'll not be experimenting with that option just yet.

It can only improve my non existent Spanish.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

deadl0ck wrote:
    The touchscreen was dodgy on mine from day 1 (got it 2 weeks ago).
    I sent the whole lot back today, hopefully they'll send me a new/fixed one soon.
    Let's see how good Pixmania are with returns....

My sis sent a camera back a while ago.. took 4 weeks to log it onto their sys an now it'll take upto 6 weeks to repair/replace it.... even tho u return it to the uk they still forward it onto france.. that alone took 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

unklerosco wrote:
    Bah... mine was meant ot be delivered today. Was out in one of the vans but it never turned up.. Have to wait till monday now!!

The exact same thing happened to me, when the package finally arrived it was missing loads of stuff (see my original posts near the start).
    Pixmania did replace the entire bundle, but it took nearly 2 weeks.

My advice to you is this - familiarise yourself with the contents of the package before it arrives (there's a list on this thread somewhere), then open the box when it arrives and verify it's all there - if it's not don't sign for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

4Home superstores are now selling this unit for €299 (click on promotions, then the link under "Christmas at 4HOME Superstores" and it's on page 5).

It's €270 inc shipping from Pixmania. For peace of mind I'd buy it in the shop...

airisnm7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

even tho u return it to the uk they still forward it onto france.
    I sent it to France directly (that was the address I given), so hopefully that will speed it up a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 af01

Cal wrote:
    Follow the instructions in THE DIVX THREAD to get into windows CE and then go to the control panel. At the bottom of the control panel you will find the sound settings. From there you can turn the volume down to zero. It will stop the clicking but also stops all sound from the unit too.

Cal.

I have the same sound problem as dsmaster. It is really a pain in the a... :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

The solution does not seem to work thougt, after normal restart, we are back at start.

Please, has anyone solved this issue?

af01 wrote:
    I have the same sound problem as dsmaster. It is really a pain in the a... :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

The solution does not seem to work thougt, after normal restart, we are back at start.

Please, has anyone solved this issue?

Define 'normal restart'.

If you mean using the slide button at the bottom then that is like a reset button and should only be used when you wish to reset the unit to factory settings. The unit can (allegedly) survive for a couple of weeks on standby (turning off with the side button).

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

Hi,

this is a great thread but I am still undecided between the Airis T920
    and the Garmin nuvi 310

as far as I can see for the Airis T920 the pros are - it has the updated Navteq release for Ireland, good price and looks to be fairly reliable ?? though
    the clicking sound is a bit worrying

anyone got pros and cons for Nuvi 310 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 af01

Cal wrote:
    Define 'normal restart'.

If you mean using the slide button at the bottom then that is like a reset button and should only be used when you wish to reset the unit to factory settings. The unit can (allegedly) survive for a couple of weeks on standby (turning off with the side button).

Cal.

I just press the reset-button (it is not a full reset).

Anyway, I guess that turning down volume in Windows is not the solution, as I still want the sound ON for the navigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

rushbrook wrote:
    Hi,

though
    the clicking sound is a bit worrying

it's not that the Airis is just clicking away itself - it's just an annoyance that while you are using the touchscreen it gives a click sound each time you tap it. when you are not tapping the screen there is no clicking. which is most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

it's not that the Airis is just clicking away itself - it's just an annoyance that while you are using the touchscreen it gives a click sound each time you tap it. when you are not tapping the screen there is no clicking. which is most of the time

ah, that makes more sense - thanks for clearing that up -

should have mentioned to people that tesco are selling the Ireland/Uk version of the airis at 299 - which is not good value obviously compared to pixmania but that this weekend there was 25% off in vouchers which would have made it 225 euro ...good for someone that just wants uk/ireland - im sure there are a couple of late nite tesco's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

should have mentioned to people that tesco are selling the Ireland/Uk version of the airis at 299 - which is not good value obviously compared to pixmania but that this weekend there was 25% off in vouchers which would have made it 225 euro ...good for someone that just wants uk/ireland - im sure there are a couple of late nite tesco's!

What do you mean "25% off in vouchers"? How do you actually get the 25% off?
    I'd go to my nearest right now if I could avail of this!

it was the 25% offer off all electronics - you get 25% worth of the purchase price back in the new year so its nearly like real cash except that you pay total price up front. over now anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

it was the 25% offer off all electronics - you get 25% worth of the purchase price back in the new year so its nearly like real cash except that you pay total price up front. over now anyway!
    Yes I actually went to my local tesco (just before midnight), but the Airis was all sold out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Could somebody pleeease save me all the time of going through this whole thread and be able to tell me which would be best for me:

I'd like mapping in preference of: Dublin City > Ireland > UK > Europe. (I need it to do all, but that's a list in order of importance)

Estate/building/office/apartment names would be a big plus.

Bluetooth for a phone would be handy as well as aux input for an mp3 player, but they don't really matter. If I can get them included in the price then so be it but wouldn't pay a lot more just to have them.

So what are the best prices I'm looking at can anyone tell me? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I am looking at the THIS.

I need a Satnav with Dublin, Ireland , UK and in particular Italy mapping.
    Can somebody with expierence of this model please tell me if this model is suitable....PLEASE!
    Thanks

Advertisement