Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

dal wrote:
    Cool, so did you just download the powertoys on to the sd card and then launch from within windows? Is it straightforward enough?

Download the powertoys app. Then run the exe from a PC with the Airis attached via USB. The exe automatically installs the reg editor using active sync. The exe would not run from CE. But straight forward it is. The effect of the registry change takes a minute or two though.

Cal.

Soft reset is the button on the side or start 'Suspender'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Got it.. works a treat... A stick should be made with all these little bits in it, ie. divx etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is the thing the guy is talking about in this post the one that's being talked about here? He says it has the bluetooth and AUX options, but he says it's €400 compared to the €258 for the Airis? I've also heard people say they've got the airis for €253 and €256, but it's €258 on the link above, what's the story with that:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

put the code googleie6 into pixmania and it give you 6 euros off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Got the divx hack working....but everytime I reboot (cold reboot using the button on the bottom), the app is deleted....anybody know why this is so?

Edit: Got it working by sticking the stylus into the reset button....perfect!!! Loving my new toy now! :-)
    Edit: Also used the Powertoys to turn down the annoying clicking sound! :-)

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Got the divx hack working....but everytime I reboot (cold reboot using the button on the bottom), the app is deleted....anybody know why this is so?

It is deleted because it is loaded into RAM. To have it there always it would need to be loaded into the ROM or have it auto load on boot. Anyone have any ideas?

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Den4tennis

fletch wrote:

Edit: Got it working by sticking the stylus into the reset button....perfect!!! Loving my new toy now! :-)
    Edit: Also used the Powertoys to turn down the annoying clicking sound! :-)

Hello Fletch,

Can you explain how you got Powertoys to run please (I'm a MacMan I'm afraid). :cool:
    However, I did manage to install the .exe onto the Airis using Activsync. I can see the program in a folder on the Airis when connected via Activsync. HOWEVER, when I boot up the Airis into Windows CE (using slide switch at bottom + holding in the side power button), it boots ok. Windows explorer CE can see ALL the various files on the Airis (and the SD card) BUT NOT the Powertoys that I just installed!! I have turned on 'visibility' for ALL system files, but cannot find where the damn program has gone on the Airis.
    Please help/advise if you can (or if anybody else can).
    Sorry if this is a daft question. many thanks

Den4tennis wrote:
    Hello Fletch,

Can you explain how you got Powertoys to run please (I'm a MacMan I'm afraid). :cool:
    However, I did manage to install the .exe onto the Airis using Activsync. I can see the program in a folder on the Airis when connected via Activsync. HOWEVER, when I boot up the Airis into Windows CE (using slide switch at bottom + holding in the side power button), it boots ok. Windows explorer CE can see ALL the various files on the Airis (and the SD card) BUT NOT the Powertoys that I just installed!! I have turned on 'visibility' for ALL system files, but cannot find where the damn program has gone on the Airis.
    Please help/advise if you can (or if anybody else can).
    Sorry if this is a daft question. many thanks
    i simply connected the unit via the usb cable to my pc (it was powered on).....ran the powertoys executable on my machine, activesync then asks do I want to install Powertoys onto the device, click Yes/Accept/or whatever and thats about it. I think I had to press accept on the device also.
    If you dont get it working, let me know and i'll write out some detailed steps with screenshots (when I get home :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Den4tennis wrote:
    Hello Fletch,

However, I did manage to install the .exe onto the Airis using Activsync. I can see the program in a folder on the Airis when connected via Activsync. HOWEVER, when I boot up the Airis into Windows CE (using slide switch at bottom + holding in the side power button), it boots ok.
    If you switch the unit off with the slide switch at the bottom after you install the power toys then you'll wipe them out. It should boot into CE each time you turn it on with the side button from now on as long as you leave the bottom switch alone. Add a shortcut to the Route66 software on the desktop to load that up. When you exit the Route66 app it'll return to the CE desktop.

Den4tennis wrote:

I'm not sure about loading it from a Mac but from windows it can only be loaded via the Active sync. This is done by running the exe while the unit is connected by usb & you have active sync installed. The exe will not run directly from the Airis.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MartyW

Hi Guys,

I got the Airis T920 the other day. Works very well and I'm very pleased. Two questions though....

1. When I turn off the unit on the bottom - it reverts to factory settings (in Spanish) and I have to re-enter language and time/date settings every time. Can this be changed/avoided?

2. Anyone know where I can pick up a Mains Charger for the unit?

Thanks.

MartyW wrote:
    Hi Guys,

1. When I turn off the unit on the bottom - it reverts to factory settings (in Spanish) and I have to re-enter language and time/date settings every time. Can this be changed/avoided?

2. Anyone know where I can pick up a Mains Charger for the unit?

Thanks.

1) No way to avoid this. The windows CE loaded on the unit has been flashed to ROM. This (so far) is not accessible to us easily to change. So you have to load all your settings after a hard reset.

2) A Motorola or Blackberry mini USB style mains charger works on the Airis unit.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MartyW

Thanks for the quick response Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

this may have already been posted but today i seen the airis for sale in tesco for €300, i wounder what maps come with it??? they also stock tom tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

pm. wrote:
    this may have already been posted but today i seen the airis for sale in tesco for €300, i wounder what maps come with it??? they also stock tom tom

It was 25% off last weekend....

Anyone know how to cancel a route/navigation.. Only way i know is to exit to prog n open it again..

How long does it actually take to plan a journey on these things?

Also, is there any kind of multi-route calculator? I'm just thinking for courier work for example, if you could enter in all the addresses you had to go to and it calculated the quickest way to get to all of them in no particular order other than the quickest way to get them all visited. Doubt it:(

cormie wrote:
    How long does it actually take to plan a journey on these things?

Also, is there any kind of multi-route calculator? I'm just thinking for courier work for example, if you could enter in all the addresses you had to go to and it calculated the quickest way to get to all of them in no particular order other than the quickest way to get them all visited. Doubt it:(

There is an option to put in 'via' points to your journey so what you suggest is very possible. I've not done it so I'm not sure if it goes in order of the 'via' points or just does the quickest route.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

It might be hard to get any unit that does this in an efficient, very accurate way:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_salesman_problem

Though for samller trips it might be a lot simpler (i.e. with a few vias)

As Cal said, there is a "Via" option, but I haven't tried it myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Den4tennis

fletch wrote:
    i simply connected the unit via the usb cable to my pc (it was powered on).....ran the powertoys executable on my machine, activesync then asks do I want to install Powertoys onto the device, click Yes/Accept/or whatever and thats about it. I think I had to press accept on the device also.
    If you dont get it working, let me know and i'll write out some detailed steps with screenshots (when I get home :) )

Thanks 'Fletch' and also 'Jo rel' for your advice. I've solved it now. Its prob obvious to you guys, but I had missed an important step about booting into Windows CE FIRST! The procedure (works for me):
    1. Boot Airis into Windows (explained earlier) FIRST!
    2. Connect via USB to the PC
    3. Activsync kicks in.
    4. Run the installer for Powertoys from PC (only need the registry edit part) and install onto the Airis.
    5. You can disconnect USB now.Airis still in Windows mode.
    6. Choose Explorer and locate and run PowerToys and change the particular register (as explained by Fletch or somenone earlier) from 68538 to 1000 or less, using the little Windows keyboard screen. Agree changes, clicking "si" etc.
    7. Quit all applics.
    8. SOFT restart (BUTTON on bottom, NOT the SLIDE switch). This ensures the registry changes STICK (remain). A hard restart (Slide + side button) loses all custom setting at this level-reverts to factory set.
    9. Airis launches back into normal Map/GPS mode - screen clicks now GONE!! :D

Sorry bout long post - just may be others like me.
    thanks again

Price drop to €235.50, damn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pm. wrote:
    Saw it in Tesco at the weekend too. It only comes with the UK/Ireland maps though so not nearly as good value as the pixmania price, especially since they've now dropped the price a bit. Even with the 25% off in Tesco I don't think it would be as good value as pixmania.
    unklerosco wrote:
    Anyone know how to cancel a route/navigation.. Only way i know is to exit to prog n open it again..
    Been trying to figure that one out myself too, doesn't seem to be any way to do it other than quit. Unless you route to your current location, which would be more awkward than it's worth.

What's the story with the 2.5" as opposed to the 3.5" screen? Is the 3.5 a different model al together or is it just a more expensive model? Would probably make a big difference for the DIVX feature, although, when I'd use that, I don't know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

measured mine and its 3 and a half inches. Now I'm gonna measure the Airis. :D

cormie wrote:
    What's the story with the 2.5" as opposed to the 3.5" screen? Is the 3.5 a different model al together or is it just a more expensive model? Would probably make a big difference for the DIVX feature, although, when I'd use that, I don't know:rolleyes:
    I have the cheaper model Airis and it's 3.5".....think it's just a typo on the pixmania site.

Anybody got any more information about the sat nav Lidl will have for sale on the 4th December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Emmathon

Hi folks,

I am hoping to buy the Airis T920 as a gift for the BF for Crimbo, but am still debating where to buy. I was also recommended by a rep who was at the Toys for Big Boys Expo in the RDS to purchase from BBUY.ie. Has anyone dealt with this website before?

They are offering the Airis Navigator with Route 66 Navigate 7 and Europe Maps [AIRIS T920 E] for €349.50, which is a bit cheaper then Satnav methinks. But not to sure whether to go with them (they don't specify their secure payment options etc)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The T920 EF is HERE for €235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Emmathon

The T920 EF is HERE for €235
    Thanks Johhnyrotten, Yeah, been checking out the Pixmania option, but reading some of the previous posts people been having probs with delivery etc, was sussing out alternative options.

Emmathon wrote:
    Thanks Johhnyrotten, Yeah, been checking out the Pixmania option, but reading some of the previous posts people been having probs with delivery etc, was sussing out alternative options.
    They ship via DHL...mine arrived 36hours after I placed my order.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    I have the cheaper model Airis and it's 3.5".....think it's just a typo on the pixmania site.

So the one for E235 has a 3.5" screen for sure?

Advertisement