Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

cormie wrote:
    So the one for E235 has a 3.5" screen for sure?
    100% I measured mine when it arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok cool, might just go ahead and order that so.

What's the story with included accessories though? Do you have to buy a charger separate? I see the sync cable on offer for E26, but if I can use any USB/charger for this I wont bother.

So is the Pixmania price still the best then? How much is it in Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Pixmania is cheapest.. Tescos only has UK/Eire maps n is more expensive.

U get the unit, in car charger, windscreen mount and a usb cable.. It'll charge over usb. I use the charger of my gfs motorolla phone n it charges in about 2hrs, a bit less.. Maplin do a plug in usb charger too...

My advice is to just go n get one, was up in belfast on monday n it came in dead handy. Typed in the theatre i was looking for n it found it, great for finding the nearest petrol stations n its just damn handy too!!!

Some people give out about the batt life.. Only went dead on me once after 3 days use. When driving to belfast I turned it on when i got there, belfast is easy to get to.. i've a feeling some people leave their unit turned on while driving down the M1... I only use mine when i need it..

Ok cool, I take it the "car support" listed in the included accessories is the windscreen mount?

Does anyone know if the maps are the only thing missing from the cheaper one for €166 here? Can these be bought cheaper elsewhere (because it's just software, right?) and if so, what is the software I should buy and is it just a case of putting it over onto it via usb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just a "be careful with PixMania" reminder....

I got my Airis on 31st October, and the touch screen was faulty.

It was kinda useable but 2 weeks ago I decided to send it back as it was getting worse/totally unuseable.

You have to send it registered and insured, so I did with An post - €55 - if you want over €100 insurance you have to go Courier post. Now PixMania will refund this if they deem that product was faulty and under guarentee, so I should be OK.
    Anyhoo.....
    Yesterday I got an email saying they had received my returned Item (2 weeks after it was delivered) and now it will take up to 6 weeks to verify that it's fecked, and then I suppose more time by the time I get a new/fixed one.
    So I should have my GPS sometime in January hopefully.....

So, for the few extra quid in Tesco, it may be worth it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

deadl0ck wrote:
    Just a "be careful with PixMania" reminder....

I got my Airis on 31st October, and the touch screen was faulty.

It was kinda useable but 2 weeks ago I decided to send it back as it was getting worse/totally unuseable.

You have to send it registered and insured, so I did with An post - €55 - if you want over €100 insurance you have to go Courier post. Now PixMania will refund this if they deem that product was faulty and under guarentee, so I should be OK.
    Anyhoo.....
    Yesterday I got an email saying they had received my returned Item (2 weeks after it was delivered) and now it will take up to 6 weeks to verify that it's fecked, and then I suppose more time by the time I get a new/fixed one.
    So I should have my GPS sometime in January hopefully.....

So, for the few extra quid in Tesco, it may be worth it.....

I sent mine back as well, but didn't have to insure it? They created the DHL return shipping label and the courier picked up from my house, had a new one 2 weeks later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Bugger - I was told to follw their standard procedure - the one on their FAQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

cormie wrote:
    Ok cool, I take it the "car support" listed in the included accessories is the windscreen mount?

Does anyone know if the maps are the only thing missing from the cheaper one for €166 here? Can these be bought cheaper elsewhere (because it's just software, right?) and if so, what is the software I should buy and is it just a case of putting it over onto it via usb?

You'd have to buy some route 66 software (or download it illegally) and I think a memory card (the software and maps go on the card I think).

Ok, my friend has a 1GB card he doesn't need (It's an SD card yeah?) and I'll have a look on the net for cheaper software see what I can find. Could save a few bob since it's about €70 cheaper without the stuff:)

Does anyone know the exact route 66 software I should be looking for? Europe or Ire+UK? Does the Europe one included in the 235 have the full Ire and UK maps.

I dont think u'll get the full europe route 66 for less than €70... maybe on ebay but i doubt it'll be up to date...

• Advertisement

If anyone's interested I saw the airis for 279 in powercity. Not sure what maps it comes with.

unklerosco wrote:
    I dont think u'll get the full europe route 66 for less than €70... maybe on ebay but i doubt it'll be up to date...

Ah ok, so there's obviously 3 types for Europeans:

Europe including UK and Ire
    Europe excluding UK and Ire
    Uk and Ire

Is that right?

cormie wrote:
    Ah ok, so there's obviously 3 types for Europeans:

Europe including UK and Ire
    Europe excluding UK and Ire
    Uk and Ire

Is that right?

No I don't think so, I think there are many version- uk&Ire on its own, france on its own, spain on its own, italy on its own etc etc. But there is also a version which includes all of these (Europe).

Ok, I'll have a look, thanks. Think I'll go ahead and buy the one without the software or card anyway.

Does anyone know, if you don't go for that Zen deal, you're obviously still entitled to a replacement etc if it does malfunction within a year, surely it has a warranty of at least a year without the Zen?

Any promotional codes by the way? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

cormie wrote:
    Ok, I'll have a look, thanks. Think I'll go ahead and buy the one without the software or card anyway.

I'm sure there is, or soon will be, a torrent;) of maps out there on the 'net...:D

type in promotional codes pixmania n u'll get some, thats what i did n got €10 off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

fletch wrote:
    Anybody got any more information about the sat nav Lidl will have for sale on the 4th December?

Yep, but it's in French.

Système de navigation GPS SilverGuide Navigator 4000

* L’unité.
    * Le GPS SilverGuide 4000 et le logiciel MyGuide Navigator 6.0 combinés en tant que système de navigation mobile, vous guident par la voix ou avec une représentation cartographique, en 3D ou par pictogrammes en couleur. Commande complètement tactile.
    * Navigation sans câble grâce à l'antenne GPS intégrée : plus de câblage gênant !
    * En branchant le récepteur TMC, vous recevez en continu et gratuitement les toutes dernières informations routières pour toutes les autoroutes en France (TMC Basic) et, au besoin, il calcule un trajet d'évitement. Les embouteillages sont indiqués sur la carte et caractérisés par des symboles routiers.
    * Processeur Intel XScale™ PXA 255 300 MHz, mémoire 64 Mo ROM.
    * Microsoft Windows ce .NET 4.2.
    * Plug & Drive : tout ce dont vous avez besoin est déjà installé. Insérez tout simplement la carte mémoire et votre appareil est prêt à l'emploi.
    * Navigation transfrontalière (de Copenhague à Barcelone, de Rome à Dublin sans interruption, ni changement de carte).
    * Eviter les embouteillages en tenant compte de toutes les éventualités avec une navigation dynamique par RDS-TMC (TMC-Edition Traffic Message Channel).
    * Enregistrement des itinéraires parcourus
    * Guidage routier sonore par synthèse vocale
    * Localisation rapide et exacte par GPS SIRF III.
    * Nouveau calcul automatique si vous quittez l'itinéraire.
    * Représentation cartographique, en 3D ou 2 D ou par flèche en couleurs.
    * Mode piéton.
    * Eviter des itinéraires par anticipation : vous pouvez bloquer des tronçons d'itinéraire qui présentent des problèmes de circulation (par exemple : chantiers importants ou circulation particulièrement dense).
    * Important recueil d'informations sur les points d'intérêt avec hôtels et restaurants, parkings, stations-service, gares.
    * * Y compris 0.03 € de contribution recyclage.

Check the instore leaflet.. lots of info on it there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

lidlnavsj3.th.jpg

Seems just the same as the Airis but we know the Airis can be hacked for DIVX playback which is a plus, and it's much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can anyone tell me if the Q2 2006 version includes the N8 Rathcormac - Fermoy By-pass?
    I guess not as the maps date from July and the road only opened in October.

And could somebody tell me please, if I get the one for €235 and it has the Q2 Europe maps including UK and IRE on the inlcuded SD card and I get a bigger SD card from a friend, is it just a case of dragging and dropping the files over or is it more complicated then that? Will I have to put any codes or anything for that specific copy of the map software to work with that specific airis model? Does the Q2 map have to be flashed to the rom or anything like that and how much space do the files take up?

If it was as simple as just dragging and dropping the files over, what's to stop people just buying the one without the maps, buying their own card, copying the files over and saving a good chunk of cash?

When I got it i put the SD card in my mem card reader in ran the setup from the cd.. U need to go online, enter the code off the cd n some other details n they give u another code that u use to activate the software. Maybe when u use the software for the first time it registers with the device its in n only works with that one.?.

That sounds pretty complicated and secure alright.

Has anyone actually upgraded from their SD card and had any troubles or is it just a case of repeating the install process from the CD, entering the same code etc?

Ok, so I gave in an ordered the EF for €237.50+12.50 delivery minus €6 using promo code googleie6 (I think) just type in pixmania promotional code into google and it should be the sponsored link at the top.

So that's €244 altogether and should be able to claim back €42 for vat because it's a business purchase:D

Anyway, I'm on the confirmation print screen now and its saying to check my email and confirm from there. I've been waiting about 10 mins now and still no email, does anyone know how long it takes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Just recieved my Airis T920 this morning, seems to work well knows where I am and how to get to my home!

One thing that struck me, the SD card was pre-loaded with France. The only way I could get UK&Ireland maps (Britain) on the device was using the SD card reader on my work laptop. Luckily I just had the laptop replaced with a new one containing a SD card reader.

Is there a method to get the maps to the device using the active-sync?

Ref the question from Cormie about using a different SD card, don't think there would be a problem. In the faq on the www.66.com website it says you can use the activation code as many times as you like
    "The ROUTE 66 Navigate 7 software must be activated before you can use it. The following activation
    restrictions apply to the "ROUTE 66 Navigate 7" product:

- You can use the same product key as many times as you like on the same Pocket PC device
    - You can use the same product key on a second Pocket PC only starting 1 week after the first
    activation
    - You can use the same product key on a third Pocket PC only starting 1 month after the second
    activation

The product key you need to activate your product can be found inside the CD box (behind the CD)
    and on the Quick Start Guide.

The activation is made on our web site (http://www.66.com/activation/). Please enter all the
    requested data. You will then receive an activation key at the email address you provided."

Just saw the tracking on my item and what's up with it returning to where it left:confused:

December 07, 2006

15:44
    Paris - France Departing origin
    December 07, 2006

17:37
    Paris - France Departed from DHL facility in Paris - France
    December 07, 2006

18:52
    Paris - France Arrived at DHL facility in Paris - France
    December 07, 2006

23:12
    December 07, 2006

23:34
    Paris - France Arrived at DHL facility in Paris - France

Im sure the depot in paris as different areas for exporting different goods... What ur seeing is the item being tracked around the depot..

yeah must have been.. it's at this stage now:

December 07, 2006

23:43
    Paris - France Transferred through Paris - France
    December 08, 2006

03:40
    December 08, 2006

03:47
    East Midlands - UK Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK
    December 08, 2006

06:01
    Dublin - Ireland, Republic of Arrived at DHL facility in Dublin - Ireland, Republic of
    December 08, 2006

07:34
    Dublin - Ireland, Republic of Departed from DHL facility in Dublin - Ireland, Republic

so hopefully that means it's with the driver and on it's way:)

• Advertisement

Just got it, but it says t920A on the box, not t920EF like on the site:confused:

is that the same with all of yours?

Advertisement