Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tsu

I got bored with the Airis wallpaper so changed it by replacing the 'windowsce.bmp' in the \Windows folder on the Airis. Use ActiveSynch to do this.

The bitmap needs to be 320x240. A good site for decent wallpaper formatted to that size is http://www.interfacelift.com/wallpaper/index.php?w=320&h=240&sort=date

You don't have to overwrite the windowsce.bmp if you want to keep the Airis one, you can just add new .bmps to that dir.

If you then go into the control panel and select the display option (can't remember what it is in Spanish but you'll figure it out) you can select which wallpaper to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi, I recieved mine today Wednesday, ordered it on Monday, thanks to all you guys who recommended this.
    All fired up with no probs, Installed tcpmp loaded up Depeche Mode and away she went, also plugged in an FM Transmitter brought it out to the car worked great, so a bigger SD Card is the next purchace.

A couple of questions,
    What is the Best Software for converting DVD to Mpeg4?
    What are the average file size of a ripped DVD?
    Any good Mpeg4 download sites?

Tahnks again,

VinnieB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

VINNIEB wrote:
    What is the Best Software for converting DVD to Mpeg4?
    What are the average file size of a ripped DVD?
    Any good Mpeg4 download sites?

Probably not the best forum for your questions but...

1. DVDshrink. Easy to use and results are good enough for Joe Soap.

2. The size is up to you really. 700Mb (size of a cd) is plenty good enough for viewing on a 3.5" screen

3. Loads. Most though are illegal. This site has legal downloads if you want to test your device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hi!
    before i part with my cash, can someone confirm that the t920EF for 238 euro has the up to date irish maps and not the older ones?
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sesonic

Lads,

Been looking at this thread for some time.

I want a sat nav with at least Q2 maps of ireland and bluetooth.

Garmin now have Navigator V9 maps which are Q2 for ireland.

Does anyone know or has purchased any Garmin units off pixmania or know whether these are navigator V9 or V8.

Also, if i purchase one that comes with V8 with euopean maps, is the free update on garmins site just for the contry or is it a free total european update.

Thanks Lads,

Have enclosed the 2 units that i was looking at on pixmania:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/316482/art/garmin/nuvi-310-autonomous-gps-d.html#fichetechnique

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/282501/art/garmin/gps-autonomous-nuvi-360-e.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Den4tennis

Has anyone been successful in running the Route66 free update program available from the R66.com website? It is supposed to update the R66 'Navigate' prog from ver 7.0.1895 (my current ver as came on the Airis) to ver 7.0.2834. The site gives full instructions. However, when I replace the SD card back into the Airis, I get the error message on launch "at least one file missing", "please reinstall program".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ponster wrote:
    Probably not the best forum for your questions but...

1. DVDshrink. Easy to use and results are good enough for Joe Soap.

2. The size is up to you really. 700Mb (size of a cd) is plenty good enough for viewing on a 3.5" screen

3. Loads. Most though are illegal. This site has legal downloads if you want to test your device.

1. DVD shrink does not convert dvd to mpeg4
    2. It only unencrypts a dvd and reduces the size from say 7 gigs to 4 gigs to fit on a blank dvd

you need the likes of dr.divx or aplus dvd to divx ripper to convert a dvd to standard divx of about 700mb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ahhhh, of course. I didn't read his post correctly.

Give "Gordian Knot" a shot for the converting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does anyone know how to save your favourite locations (i.e. GPS coordinates) to memory with the Airis instead of having to select a road near that location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gregor

I want to try this also, but your post has put me off. Let me know if you have any sucess with the update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Den4tennis wrote:
    Has anyone been successful in running the Route66 free update program available from the R66.com website? It is supposed to update the R66 'Navigate' prog from ver 7.0.1895 (my current ver as came on the Airis) to ver 7.0.2834. The site gives full instructions. However, when I replace the SD card back into the Airis, I get the error message on launch "at least one file missing", "please reinstall program".
    Same thing happened to me so had to reinstall from scratch. Annoying I must say, maybe they don't have the right version for the Airis on there yet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I just got an Airis today - late Christmas present. Unfortunately I'm visiting my family in Donegal and didn't bring my card reader (quick trip to Argos - load up maps and return card reader!) Anyway just out of curiosity I tried to activate the Route 66 software - went through all the stuff on the net and got my activation code. When I entered it on the Airis it said activation error. I'm hoping that this is because the pre-installed French map wouldn't correspond with the code on the DVD box?? Any help appreciated - thanks

whooops my mistake - I entered the device ID wrong - route 66 support were very helpful and sorted it out pretty fast.

digitaldr wrote:
    whooops my mistake - I entered the device ID wrong - route 66 support were very helpful and sorted it out pretty fast.

Sorry! I can't find the update on www.66.com - there is no mention of navigate 7 for PND? Only Navigate 7 for pocket pc's??

Help!

Does the update sort out the motorways out of memory error?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

hi, i ordered 3 aris sats off pixmaina on 24th of november but because i had bought several other things in the month prior to that they wanted me to fax off some id , i never did it and went off to tesco and bought them there . i got my visa bill today and pixmaina billed me 856.45 for 3 sat navs i never received!!!!!!! what do i do, i emailed off to them and tried to phone them but they work 9 to 5 i also got onto my visa company and they sais it was my responsibility for giving out my details. i need all the help i can get lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

pm. wrote:
    hi, i ordered 3 aris sats off pixmaina on 24th of november but because i had bought several other things in the month prior to that they wanted me to fax off some id , i never did it and went off to tesco and bought them there . i got my visa bill today and pixmaina billed me 856.45 for 3 sat navs i never received!!!!!!! what do i do, i emailed off to them and tried to phone them but they work 9 to 5 i also got onto my visa company and they sais it was my responsibility for giving out my details. i need all the help i can get lads.

I am sure that pixmania will recognise their mistake. They have a fairly advanced tracking system, so its not as if they will claim that you actually received them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Anyone know if the motorola charger works with the garmin Nuvi 310?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

pix said that they made a mistake and will refund my cc in 3 working days, just as well i coped it.

Sorry! I can't find the update on www.66.com - there is no mention of navigate 7 for PND? Only Navigate 7 for pocket pc's??

Help!

Does the update sort out the motorways out of memory error?????

Still can't find the update on the website? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 XDA2prisoner

Take it that the Navigate7_PPC_NC_Update_7.0.2834.exe from 66.com is a no no, did anyone get it to work?

• Advertisement

That's the update I downloaded but didn't run as it says its for pocket pc as opposed to PND - personal navigation device - is the software the same?

Does it fix the motorway memory issue????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

I have 2 of these at the moment one with UK maps and one with Europe maps. Is there any way I can use the europe maps with the one which came with the UK maps. What I want to do is get a big SD card and put all of the maps on it so I wont have to bother with the DVD again and then swap this card between the 2 units. Either that or get 2 SD cards and put all of the maps on each.
    I know this may be considered wrong but I feel justified in doing this as the one with the uk maps cost more than the one with all of europe maps!!!!
    I this possible and or difficult. I think I will have to buy a card reader to format the sd card but what about the product registration codes. Will these prevent me doing this.

This is from the route 66 site:

Product: Navigate
    Operating system: Windows Mobile Pocket PC
    Version: 7
    What activation restrictions apply?
    The ROUTE 66 Navigate 7 software must be activated before you can use it. The following activation
    restrictions apply to the "ROUTE 66 Navigate 7" product:

- You can use the same product key as many times as you like on the same Pocket PC device
    - You can use the same product key on a second Pocket PC only starting 1 week after the first
    activation
    - You can use the same product key on a third Pocket PC only starting 1 month after the second
    activation

The product key you need to activate your product can be found inside the CD box (behind the CD)
    and on the Quick Start Guide.

The activation is made on our web site (http://www.66.com/activation/). Please enter all the
    requested data. You will then receive an activation key at the email address you provided.

It looks like you'll be alright pity you didn't get your 2nd Airis without the maps! If you need to use the card reader a couple of times I believe a major catalogue shop have a no questions asked return policy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wevin

Just wondering if anyone with an Airis has tried it from Clondalkin to Liffey Valley in Dublin? I got a "Route 66 Chicago 6000" from the R66 online shop for my wife for Christmas, and trying it out on that route the voice directions at each roundabout in Neilstown were "turn left, then left again" - even when the map showed I needed to go fully round the roundabout to the third exit. Not the best place in Dublin to be sent wrong. (It's been spot on everywhere else we've tried it though.) Just wondering does this happen with the Airis as the R66 Chicago uses Navigate 7 also?

Also, if anyone else out there has the Chicago, any problems with battery life? Ours lasts less than 2 hours, and the charge light never turns from orange to green on charging (even 24 hours). Route66 support replied to emails within 1 day when I was buying it, but havent replied to two requests about this in the last week and a half. Wish I had known Halfords would be almost giving them away in the sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

For the Airis owners: do the maps that come with it (on the memory card or DVD), have the following: Italy/Hungary/Romania/Bulgaria/Greece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

Delivered maps: Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Portugal, Finland.

hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AFD

Got one of these beauties last week and already have saved soooooo much time in Dublin alone. Came with France preloaded on the 512 Meg card but I quickly loaded UK and Ireland Maps from the attached CD which has 16 European maps on it. I never read teh manual and off I went. From what I can see at 238.50 Euro plus 13.00post it is an absolute steal. Have the priced it wrong.Arrived in 2 days. Operational in 20 minutes. Route66 software mapping seems to be bang up to date, it has M50 extension and alot of the new roads. Will be using the pedestrian function in Paris next week.

Honestly, for speed and value this is oneof my internet BEST EVER buys. I can't recomend it enough and I don't work for AIRIS or PIXMANIA

I am off now to navigate my way to somewhere to try and catch it out. Haven't suceeded yet. Oh what fun !!!!!!!
    Tony D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

AFD wrote:
    Tony D
    I agree with everything you said! Only once has it faltered however it was a defect with the data and not the unit. It tried to make me ram through a wall to get to my destination. It thinks that Sycamore Avenue is accessible via the N11/Mount Merrion Avenue junction. here Should I report this to Navteq or Route66?
    I also found it invaluable when pushing along one night on an unfamiliar back road as I could see bends in the road on the unit before I could actually physically see them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AFD

I will be out there later so lets see if my software tries the same stunt ! Might be kinda fun! Maybe its an illegal wall !!!!! Not sure if its navtexq or 66 who update.

Sycamore avenue from Blackrock here I come...............wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Garoad

AIRIS Cigarette-lighter Charger T920A
    I purchased a Airis T920A for my daughter,she reluctantly told me that she's lost the Cigarette-lighter Charger for the unit (T920A) I was wondering if anyone knows if/where i can purchase a new one.I searched on pixmania it does have one but i don't recognize the connector at the end as one that would fit my daughters Charger T920A
    I have attached a picture of what pixmania are advertising.
    ChargerT920A.jpg

Could someone please advize if maybe some other adapter would suit same.Thank you in advance.

Advertisement