Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

Thanks JHMEG, you have cleared up a lot of questions in one post

Im just curious, (maybe stupid!) but not sure what you meant in when you say
    The T920 is a PND running a bare bones version of Windows, CE.Net Core 4.2.
    the PPC version of R66N7 will not run on Windows CE.Net Core 4.2 due to missing DLLs and other fundamental OS differences.

but
    However: the map formats from both versions are the same, meaning maps from the PPC version will work on the PND version and vice versa. So rest assured that if Airis don't provide the maps, the maps from the PPC version will work fine.

Thanks again,

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The PPC (eg Windows Mobile 5) and PND (eg Windows CE.Net Core 4.2) versions of Route66 Navigate 7 are actually different. You could (nearly) say it's like a Macintosh vs Windows type scenario. Software for one won't run on the other and vice versa*

But the actual maps themselves are essentially a database file (e.g. Britain.prm is the name of the UK/Ireland map file) which is usable by either version.

*A lot of software for PPC can be made to run on CE.Net by installing DLL packs etc, but that's a long story and not the way Microsoft wants you to do things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

Ah, got ya now.

Thanks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

Halfords are currently selling a GPS System called Route 66 Chicargo - GB/IRL for 257 euro.
    I done a little digging around and this seems to be the same route 66 in the Airis GPS System.

the Route 66 Device looks much better and bigger then all the others.

Has anyone used it???

On the Route 66 website its first comment about the product is:
    Navigate in Britain and Ireland from door to door on your ROUTE 66 Chicago 6000

• Advertisement

If thats the case I better get one tomorrow :)

Just my luck to go to the shop and see its gone up 200 euro

Got my Route 66 Chicago 6000 this morning.

Not had a chance to try it out yet but its mine now :D

Did you get it for 257 euro?

I got it for e259.99 to be exact.

A friend of mine has just got one as well. For the same price.

RYR154 wrote:
    I got it for e259.99 to be exact.

A friend of mine has just got one as well. For the same price.

Very good:) Seems a lot better value than the T920 from Tesco etc, especially as it has the widescreen and all..

BTW, would you mind checking the size of the file Britain.prm -- it's in \maps on the SD card?

• Advertisement

The file you asked about is 329Mb in size.

I got to try out the system on the way home today and its just fantastic. Never had GPS before so its all new to me.

On a number of reviews about this system it said the voice was very poor and could be improved. Personally I found no problems with it.

I decided to let it take me home tonight on a quick route (One that I have never used before) I put my total trust in it and I was surprised to find I was a lot closer to home then I thought.

While stopped at the lights a taxi pulled up next to me with what looked like a TomTom device. I could see him looking with envy at this big screen sitting on my dashboard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Great thread. Got the Airis T920 today. Very impressed so far but Tappity Tap, Tap, Tap......
    Need to disable that very soon.

Oh and BTW you cannot replace the maps using Vista. 'Catastrophic failure' is the error message you get as it is copying them to the SD card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CannonFodderHax

Dingatron wrote:
    Great thread. Got the Airis T920 today. Very impressed so far but Tappity Tap, Tap, Tap......
    Need to disable that very soon.

Yeah - just got my T920 today - nice piece of kit but that damned "tapping" at every screen press is really starting to irritate me.

I kind of assumed that when I changed the volume in the system settings such that it no longer happened there that it would be a system wide setting. Oh how foolish could I have been!

Don't suppose anyone knows how to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Read this thread from the start - there's instructions on how to get rid of the tapping (or turn it down)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hi I bought the AIRIS T920EF and I didn't get an aerial in the box, is this the same with everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The external aerial doesn't come as standard. I don't think it's necessary anyway. Mine works fine without it.

I only get about 3 bars reception at a time, and I lose connection if i go indoors...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BigCon wrote:
    Read this thread from the start - there's instructions on how to get rid of the tapping (or turn it down)...
    After 30 odd pages might it not be an idea to pull out the usefull information from this thread and make it a bit more usable seeing as there is a whole forum for discussing GPS devices now?

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

-When you turn it on it take 5-6 min's to connect to a sat
    -GPS signal does not go higher than 3 bars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I have an Airis ,and am having problems with the settings ie.country time etc.
    is it correct that every time when I turn it on I have to do this??
    I have used the manual and went to the support site and still I have to
    put in the country time and date every time I use it.Sorry if it has been discussed before,but any help appreciated.

• Advertisement

Are you switching it on and off using the switch at the bottom of the unit?

You really should only use the standby button at the side of the unit and then you shouldn't have to configure it each time you use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Bettyboop wrote:
    I have an Airis ,and am having problems with the settings ie.country time etc.
    is it correct that every time when I turn it on I have to do this??
    I have used the manual and went to the support site and still I have to
    put in the country time and date every time I use it.Sorry if it has been discussed before,but any help appreciated.

No you dont have to do it, just click the ok/next button on screen. It has absolutely no effect on the navigation.

Avns1s wrote:
    Are you switching it on and off using the switch at the bottom of the unit?

You really should only use the standby button at the side of the unit and then you shouldn't have to configure it each time you use it.
    Yes I do turn it off at the switch.So standby only from now on.?
    I only switched it off at the switch,because I thought the battery would
    go flat.:o
    Thanks for that.

Elessar wrote:
    No you dont have to do it, just click the ok/next button on screen. It has absolutely no effect on the navigation.
    I have done that millions of times but still had no effect when I turned it on
    maybe because I never had it in standby like Avns1s said.
    Thanks for the reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I've a budget of e350. I don't really know where to start but I was looking at the TomTom one europe and the T920. Are there any others worth checking out in this price range?

What's coverage like for back country roads in the T920?

Are updates free, available often?

If you had a maximum budget of e350 what would you go for?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hmmm. I got a refund from pixmania today for 263 euro. I could buy the same t920 again, or buy that one from halfords which uses the same software. Must pop over to halfords to see it in action. I HATE pixmania. Took 3 months and it was only a faulty charger!

Can anyone help with this?
    jameshayes wrote:
    Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

-When you turn it on it take 5-6 min's to connect to a sat
    -GPS signal does not go higher than 3 bars?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Same outside of car?

jameshayes wrote:
    Can anyone help with this?

If it's been off for a while (like overnight), it does seem to take a while to connect. I've not timed it but I would guess it can take up to a minute. It seems to get a signal almost immediately if you tell it to "navigate to" somewhere. It comes back with "calculating route" almost immediately. Someone said somewhere that if the unit has moved location since the last time it was used that it takes a while for it to find it's new location. Maybe this is it.

I never took too much notice of the signal strength either but any time I did notice, it seemed to have about 6 bars.

I'd be inclined to return it if I were you. It does seem to have a weak receiver for some reason.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

L5 wrote:
    Hi!
    before i part with my cash, can someone confirm that the t920EF for 238 euro has the up to date irish maps and not the older ones?
    thanks!

Hi L5, which way did this turn out? Anyone know the answer to this one?

Advertisement