Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It should do. I've ordered it anyway, should be here tomorrow. Can tell you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

MarkR wrote:
    It should do. I've ordered it anyway, should be here tomorrow. Can tell you then.
    Thanks Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

MarkR wrote:
    Same outside of car?

yeah, everywhere, there is no signal at all if i go inside a house, but hey 'why would you need it in a house' so that doesn't bother me. But i'm only getting 3 bars at the best of times and if i turn it off and directly back on again and try select a dest. it could take upto 5 mins to say 'calc route'

I really dont want to return it because i got it from Piximania and i heard there orseholes to return things to. like 6 weeks waiting!

They're returns policies are the worst i have ever come across. Broken promises and misinformation is par for the course. I sent off mine for repair on the 11th of January. Got my refund this week. It was only a dodgy charger!

I usually get a signal in a minute or less. Is your coverage blocked by tall buildings etc? Do you know anyone with a similar device you can test against?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

jameshayes wrote:
    yeah, everywhere, there is no signal at all if i go inside a house, but hey 'why would you need it in a house' so that doesn't bother me. But i'm only getting 3 bars at the best of times and if i turn it off and directly back on again and try select a dest. it could take upto 5 mins to say 'calc route'

I really dont want to return it because i got it from Piximania and i heard there orseholes to return things to. like 6 weeks waiting!

Hey James,

Where were you when you tested it? in dublin?
    And what was the weather like?
    Seems like a strange question but if it is really clould it can affect signal.
    I use mine all around dublin and have had no problems with it.
    It can take up to 2 mins to get a signal and it takes longer if you turn it off and turn it on in a different location

Miuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to use this mains charger for charging the airis, bought it in maplins for the ipod.
    input 100- 240v 60/50hz 180ma
    output dc5v 1000ma

Thanks

http://www.camelion.de/new_products/ap218.html

MarkR wrote:
    Hi Mark, did you get a chance to check this out?

I'm looking to change the T920 512mb SD card with a 2Gb one (this is the max for the T920 isn't it?).

Anyone do this? What card did you buy?

Would either of these two work:

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=330508

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314388

Got it, seems all up to date. Sw version 1895. Will test the 2 gb card later actually (have one out in the car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

shayser wrote:
    (this is the max for the T920 isn't it?)

i have one and i can confirm it WILL take a 4 gig sd card

• Advertisement

SoBe wrote:
    i have one and i can confirm it WILL take a 4 gig sd card
    Cheers for the info. What make of card did you get?

make of the card was kingdisk,got it on clearance from dabs for about 40 i think

EDIT: did a quick google http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingdisk-4GB-SECURE-DIGITAL-SD-Memory-Card-4G-Kingmax_W0QQitemZ220078757274QQcategoryZ118260QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again. Gonna chance this one.

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327228

Should be ok.

thats a sdhc card,if i was you i would go for this one instead http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322833&view=detailed

less compatibility issues when its not a sdhc card tbh

EDIT: my kingdisk card wasnt sdhc btw

Great help. Fair play. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

as stated before i cant confirm a 4 gig sd-hc card will work with this unit.

i am only confirming a 4 gig non sd-hc card will

would be interested to know though if anyone wants to chance it and post back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is the Garmin C550 for €269 on pixmania not a far better offer now than the Airis?

deadl0ck wrote:
    It's a conspiracy....

I got a memory card reader from one of the guys here in work.

I formatted the Card as FAT (as that's what it was already).

I ran then install software:

pic1ih4.jpg

then

pic2fq5.jpg

THEN

pic3vs5.jpg

The I can't access the SD Card through windows, but it's fine if I plug it out and then back in. I can manually copy files to it and from it.....

I'll try again when I get home with another card reader.

This isn't going well....

Looks like I may have to return this :(

I'm having this problem also. Just bought a new 4gb SD card and can't get the maps onto it. Also, it said that there is not enough space on the card to install all maps. I deselected the last map option on the list (Europe - major roads) and it then stated to load the maps, but then the error above occured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

pop in the dvd and let it do the work for you. it lets you choose the maps and auto formats the card for you.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I did. It did the auto format fine, then it started to perfrom the install, the progress bar came up, went a little bit, and then the error above came up.

The card works grand in windows, reads and writes no problem.

EDIT:
    I copied all files on the original 512mb card to the new blank 4gb card. Then I put in the DVD and copied all the maps from the Maps folder to the Maps folder on the card. That seems to have worked. Can see all the maps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zxcvb

JHMEG wrote:
    The PPC (eg Windows Mobile 5) and PND (eg Windows CE.Net Core 4.2) versions of Route66 Navigate 7 are actually different. You could (nearly) say it's like a Macintosh vs Windows type scenario. Software for one won't run on the other and vice versa*

But the actual maps themselves are essentially a database file (e.g. Britain.prm is the name of the UK/Ireland map file) which is usable by either version.

*A lot of software for PPC can be made to run on CE.Net by installing DLL packs etc, but that's a long story and not the way Microsoft wants you to do things

How does the product activation work if you change the maps & are you entiled to the upgrades which are on the Route 66 website.

E.g if I wish to purchase the maps for USA, can I replace the .prm map purchased from the following website.
    http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=US&sec=5&ssec=0&prodid=3255

Also the upgrades on the Route 66 site are very reasonably priced for UK & Ireland (€29.95)

Interesting observation about the 2 options available.
    The R66N7 upgrade http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=2&ssec=1&prodid=5049 uses NAVTEQ, Q4-2005

The Chicago upgrade http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=2&ssec=0&prodid=5017 uses NAVTEQ, Q2-2006

Will the Chicago map work on the T920 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

Hello all,

I'm a French user of the Airis T920, very active on a french forum (GPSPassion).

Just some comments :

- WinCE Net 4.2 Core is just a bit different from PPC' OS version ; actually, there's some DLL missing, and some programs ; but they are quite similar, and you can download everywhere those missing DLL to get a PPC software running on the Airis

- Route 66 does not want to support Airis T920, and we can understand their point ; but they are lying ! PPC update, and Chicago updates ARE WORKING on our T920. We are many French users with version 3285 (latest Chicago update). There's only one bug with those versions : don't get your unit in stand by mode if Route 66 is running, or you'll need to make an hard reset !

- Last : I've created some applications for the Airis ; it's possible to access the windows CE permanently, and install MP3 player, Video player etc... I've also developped a soft "AirisTool", sorry in French :
    http://remotew.free.fr/airis/

I would be happy to help people to install updates and some applications :)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Very interesting Jib51. Do you know if anyone has successfully loaded USA maps?

As far as I know, there's no problem to use USA maps with latest version 7.0.3285 of Navigate7. We've got a French guy on the forum, who is living in L.A. currently and he reported successfull upgrade.

Actually, there's 3 versions of Navigate7 / Route 66 :
    - PND (our Airis and other GPS devices such as "Chicago" from Route66)
    - PPC (PocketPC)
    - WMS (Windows Mobile Smartphone)

All 3 versions are working on Airis T920.
    All maps from all around the world are working (*.prm).

IMPORTANT :
    - 7.0.3285 is the software version, so when you upgrade the software, your maps are not updgraded !
    - maps included with our Airis are standard maps from Route66

Jib51 wrote:
    Hello all,

I'm a French user of the Airis T920, very active on a french forum (GPSPassion).

Just some comments :

- WinCE Net 4.2 Core is just a bit different from PPC' OS version ; actually, there's some DLL missing, and some programs ; but they are quite similar, and you can download everywhere those missing DLL to get a PPC software running on the Airis

- Route 66 does not want to support Airis T920, and we can understand their point ; but they are lying ! PPC update, and Chicago updates ARE WORKING on our T920. We are many French users with version 3285 (latest Chicago update). There's only one bug with those versions : don't get your unit in stand by mode if Route 66 is running, or you'll need to make an hard reset !

- Last : I've created some applications for the Airis ; it's possible to access the windows CE permanently, and install MP3 player, Video player etc... I've also developped a soft "AirisTool", sorry in French :
    http://remotew.free.fr/airis/

I would be happy to help people to install updates and some applications :)

Cheers

I would like to update the sw on mine, but I wasn't able to follow the french instructions. Any chance you could show me how?

Thanks!

Let's go :)

First : backup your SD card, and particularly your "activation key" file and "favorites.ini". Then format your SD card (you'll loose settings, etc...)

1. Download latest update for Chicago PND from www.66.com (currently 3285)

2. Launch the EXE you've just downloaded but don't go further

3. Go into your Windows temporary files folder (should be Windows\Temp or in "Documents and Settings")

4. Search for a subfolder named "MemoryImage"

5. Copy its content to the root of your formated SD card

6. Delete those sub-folders :
    - audioplayer
    - ROUTE66

7. Copy "activation key" and favorites.ini from your backup to the root of your SD card

8. Insert your SD card in your airis and hard reset (on/off)

That should be ok. Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I gave it a go but was unable to find the "MemoryImage" folder.

Cal.

Did you try to look in your Windows temporaray folder ?
    In windows XP, by default, it's located in "documents and settings" folder, it could be an hidden folder. Then you need to open all folders in temporary files folder... Last, enable "show hidden files" and start a new search...

Another solution to updgrade is to follow the wizard (launch the executable and follow all steps), but it could fail (Route66 does not want Airis users to use this wizard).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I searched the entire drive (Inc. hidden folders).

Cal.

Advertisement