Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 310 on eBay. hopefully I'll have it next week some time.

anyone else have a 310?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

This may be a stupid question but; how do i see what version I'm running?

It's in the Help -> About screen, the last menu item on the main menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just returned from a trip to Tralee and all was fine except while in Tralee I was looking for a church, so I tried navigate to - poi around gps location - and selected churches - no churches found?? Is this right or am I doing something wrong? At home now so tried the same with atm's and the nearest one is coming up as Lloyds TSB Holyhead 169km away ???? It does work with certain lists like cinemas and airports, so just wondering if everyone elses is the same or do I need to download these items seperately from route 66??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

pissed wrote:
    Just returned from a trip to Tralee and all was fine except while in Tralee I was looking for a church, so I tried navigate to - poi around gps location - and selected churches - no churches found?? Is this right or am I doing something wrong? At home now so tried the same with atm's and the nearest one is coming up as Lloyds TSB Holyhead 169km away ???? It does work with certain lists like cinemas and airports, so just wondering if everyone elses is the same or do I need to download these items seperately from route 66??

No, the POIs are very poor on Route66 and Navteq in general. I have not seen any product with Navteq (or TA) maps that has ATMs in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the reply, suppose in future it might be better to look up the address of the church or whatever and stand a better chance of finding it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

That's right, Navteq cards don't include too muche POIS :(

But it seems they've decided to add more POIS in recent maps updates. For example, French map included 360.000 POIS in Q2-2006 map, and more than 400.000 in Q1-2007. This is 11% more, in less than 1 year.

Look here fore info about Irish map :
    http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/enguk/pdfs.php#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

fletch wrote:
    I agree with everything you said! Only once has it faltered however it was a defect with the data and not the unit. It tried to make me ram through a wall to get to my destination. It thinks that Sycamore Avenue is accessible via the N11/Mount Merrion Avenue junction. here Should I report this to Navteq or Route66?.
    http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do;jsessionid=CB1B6EB3F998295C448B5CF7931ED001?language=en&button=Go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 S320

Hi,

My first post.

After spending over an hour sifting through all the threads for this post, I ordered an Airis T920 from Pixmania last Monday. It arrived today! (That's another story I'll tell you about)

What I need to know now is: The unit is up and running. I erased the supplied 512 SD card, and copied files from the DVD. Initially I copied over the Britain map. When I tested this, and entered a location, it wasnt finding me locations in Ireland, they were all in england. e.g. I entered Howth Road, and it found 134 locations in england!

So I thought maybe I loaded the wrong map, so I tried the Europe map instead, which is worse. Have I loaded the right map as there doesn't appear to be an Ireland map on the DVD?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

when you put in address, just say "howth road dub", "con str dub", "newtow wick" etc and they should pop up the Irish results;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 S320

cormie wrote:
    when you put in address, just say "howth road dub", "con str dub", "newtow wick" etc and they should pop up the Irish results;)

Thanks, I'll give that a go. About to take to take it for a spin now, so I'll let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jib51 wrote:
    That's right, Navteq cards don't include too muche POIS :(

But it seems they've decided to add more POIS in recent maps updates. For example, French map included 360.000 POIS in Q2-2006 map, and more than 400.000 in Q1-2007. This is 11% more, in less than 1 year.

Look here fore info about Irish map :
    http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/enguk/pdfs.php#

Q2/2006 maps: 6,886 POIs.
    Q1/2007 maps: 7,177 POIs.

Pretty poor when you consider that there are more than 3,000 ATMs alone in this country.

Strangely there are a load of car dealers listed. Most people use an ATM a couple of times a week, but a car dealer only once or twice a year.

You're right, POIs are really poor in Ireland.
    But what's "ATMs" ? (sorry, I'm French ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Don't know the French word but it's a cash machine to get money from the bank.

oh right !
    We call it "Distributeur de billets" in French ;)

That's right that Navteq card is poor concerning banks and ATMs : I've got none in French map :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

S320 wrote:
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. About to take to take it for a spin now, so I'll let you know.

Hi, can you tell me which Navteq version came with your T920?

well, I've just taken delivery of my Nuvi 310 and I'm very impressed with it so far. The bluetooth hands-free calling feature looks very useful. anyone else have one of these or a 360? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

el diablo wrote:
    well, I've just taken delivery of my Nuvi 310 and I'm very impressed with it so far. The bluetooth hands-free calling feature looks very useful. anyone else have one of these or a 360? :D

Will have my 310 before Friday is out! Was doin a bit of research concerning models and prices etc I always knew Maplin were dear but Oh My God, walk about 300 yards around the corner to Peats and save E40. Anyway looking forward to getting it.

DannyBuoy wrote:
    Will have my 310 before Friday is out! Was doin a bit of research concerning models and prices etc I always knew Maplin were dear but Oh My God, walk about 300 yards around the corner to Peats and save E40. Anyway looking forward to getting it.
    yep, I've been using it today and all is good so far. how much did you pay for it anyway? I bought mine on eBay for a good price (I think).....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

S320 wrote:
    Hi,

After spending over an hour sifting through all the threads for this post, I ordered an Airis T920 from Pixmania last Monday. It arrived today! (That's another story I'll tell you about).

What map version came with it -I understand that 07 maps are due out soon?

Also, does it have text to speech?

Thanks,

W

el diablo wrote:
    yep, I've been using it today and all is good so far. how much did you pay for it anyway? I bought mine on eBay for a good price (I think).....:D

Hi El, in the end bought a 250 with EU maps in Halfords for E299. They had the 210 for E269 with IE/GB maps but for E30 couldn't leave the 250 behind. Based on the decision that I didn't need bluetooth, mp3 etc, just a good quality gps. Using it around Dub over the weekend and quite happy with it, doesn't have the very new roads but wouldn't expect it to. Will be heading well out of Dub for the long weekend so it'll get a good test!

• Advertisement

DannyBuoy wrote:
    Hi El, in the end bought a 250 with EU maps in Halfords for E299. They had the 210 for E269 with IE/GB maps but for E30 couldn't leave the 250 behind. Based on the decision that I didn't need bluetooth, mp3 etc, just a good quality gps. Using it around Dub over the weekend and quite happy with it, doesn't have the very new roads but wouldn't expect it to. Will be heading well out of Dub for the long weekend so it'll get a good test!

yep, been using my Nuvi 310 for the last few days and it's great. I can't fault it at all. the hands free bluetooth feature is great. I highly recommend it.

paid £170 (sterling) for it on eBay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Anybody any experience of TAKARA GP8 GPS Navigator - Europe + 1 GB SD card - I notice it advertises "Last but not least, Takara ensures the replacement of your GPS if ever it's stolen (offer valid in France and Belgium only)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DannyBuoy wrote:

Hi, can I ask what version maps are currently on the Nuvi on sale in Halfords?

DMC wrote:

pretty sure they'd have to be the latest version (V9) maps....

DMC wrote:

My 250 has version 9, seems good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Splendid, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

well after using a GPS for the first time in France recently I was so impressed I decided to look into getting one for our next trip to Italy. I didnt realise Irl was now almost fully mapped although I wouldnt have much need for it here. My brother in law who is big into electronics and gadgets has a nuvi 660. He recommended the Route 66 range for the price and mapping. Was going to get Nuvi 360 but decided it was too much for the use I would have and didnt need the bluetooth function so picked up the Route 66 Chicago 8000 on Komplett for 265. Very good price - a lot cheaper than other online stores and Halfords have the 6000 (UK and Irl only) for 259. Important features are the Navteq maps and street name pronunciation. Widescreen is nice too. Will post my impressions when I receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I have the Airis 920EF, and my parent bought the Nuvi 200 in Halfords.

I think the Garmin is a better piece of hardware, bit I find the User Interface is terrible.

You must select Counrty, then city etc...It make it very hard to find things.
    It's not suited to Irish addresses
    My parents find this very hard to use, and the search doesn't include POIs (such as hotels) - you need to seperately get somewhere in the region you want to go, the go to the POI section and look for POIs near there...
    Maybe there's a way to change the way you search for locations.

Can anybody help me with this ?

The Airis (runs Route 66) is much easier to use - you just type in what you're looking for and it gives you all the matches, including all POIs. Eg, If I type "Kilkenny" I'll get Kilkkenny Road, Kilkenny Court Hotel etc... all in one scroll list, and you pick what you want.

I'm thinking of giving my parents my Airis as it's easier to use unless there is a way of making the Garmin search more like the Airis.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions that would be great !

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Any views on when the new map update for the Airis t920 will be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I took the plunge and ordered USA maps for my Airis t920 this evening - going on holidays there in about 6 weeks time. From what I've read on this thread they should work with the latest (7.0.3285) software. Anyway I'll post here if/when I manage to load them!

Advertisement