Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Do they really drive around every single road to test the maps? I saw a van in my estate last week with ariels on the roof, I dont know what else it might be apart from someone testing gps maps, unless it was the gards doing surveillence on sum house...

i drive around testing them most days!
    pretty boring actually

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eddiebutt

Do you have an activation code for the Airis T920 Route 66 maps GB/IRE my girlfriend threw away the box with the product code in it before I had a chance to activate it

Jib51 wrote:
    Hello all,

I'm a French user of the Airis T920, very active on a french forum (GPSPassion).

Just some comments :

- WinCE Net 4.2 Core is just a bit different from PPC' OS version ; actually, there's some DLL missing, and some programs ; but they are quite similar, and you can download everywhere those missing DLL to get a PPC software running on the Airis

- Route 66 does not want to support Airis T920, and we can understand their point ; but they are lying ! PPC update, and Chicago updates ARE WORKING on our T920. We are many French users with version 3285 (latest Chicago update). There's only one bug with those versions : don't get your unit in stand by mode if Route 66 is running, or you'll need to make an hard reset !

- Last : I've created some applications for the Airis ; it's possible to access the windows CE permanently, and install MP3 player, Video player etc... I've also developped a soft "AirisTool", sorry in French :
    http://remotew.free.fr/airis/

I would be happy to help people to install updates and some applications :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Pixmania no longer seem to be selling the t920 with maps - only bare (without even mapping software - http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/445720/art/airis/t920-gps-without-map.html

Any ideas where I might be able to find the old t920ef (Ireland, UK & Western Europe) maps bundle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

eddiebutt > the code is not in the box, but inside the DVD box of Route66.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Den4tennis

Hi Opus,

I followed your instructions below three times now and still no success! I get the Airis launch screen -the TOOLS pane works and I can set the time etc , but the top pane (for launching R66) is greyed out and nothing launches.
    The original french link of this article says Hard reset & then insert the (newly installed) SD card. Which is the order?
    What about the INFINITY folder on the original SD card-is this not needed now?
    What about the R66.exe program (which we copied into memory on Airis) still residing on the SD card?
    Where does the Airis system "look" for a program to launch first? Is it to do with these "Infinity" folders?
    Hope you can advise, thanks.
    opus wrote:
    Thanks a lot Jib51 & Cal :) That was a pretty tortuous procedure I must say but at the end of it, the Airis is now running 7.0.3285.

The bit that confused me most was copying the R66Navigate7.exe & gpstmc.dll to the Infinity folder, this didn't work for me until I copied them from the SD card (inserted into the Airis) to the folder. I've included my full procedure below as it might help people to see it stated in a different way.

Hopefully the update will reduce the crash rate somewhat on the gps!

0) Copy everything on the SD card to a backup
    1) Format SD card
    2) Copy everything from Memory Image for N7_R66CHICAGO_Update_7.0.3285 except ROUTE66 & Audioplayer
    3) Copy bitmaps.db file from memory image for Mobile7_WMS_NC_Update_7.0.2992 to res folder
    4) Delete Bitmaps-chicago.db file in res folder
    5) Copy ActivationKey & Favorites from backup back to root of SD card
    6) Copy maps & pois from backup to root of SD card
    8) Remove SD card & put it back in the Airis
    9) Connect the GPS to the PC & use the activesync to access the internal memory.
    10) Delete everything in the "My Flash disk/Infinity" folder. Copy R66Navigate7.exe & gpstmc.dll from the root of the SD card to the "My Flash disk/Infinity" folder.
    11) Rename R66Navigate7.exe to Infinity.exe in the Infinity folder.
    12) Disconnect, do a hard reset & that should be it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, does anyone know is it possible to use a 4GB card on the Airis and if not, do all included maps with the t920a fit on a 2gb card? Will any SD card work? This: http://mx2.co.uk/default.asp?part=SD4GBHC for example? It says something about compatibility issues but I'm not sure where to check on the Airis? Any feedback appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Morr

Previously in this thread, someone mentioned that they had a 4Gb card working, but that the newer high speed (HC ?) cards may not work.
    Not sure which mapping comes with the T920a, but I can confirm that with the Q4/2005 mapping the whole of Europe will fit on a 2GB card, with the later Q2/2006 mapping it will not, most of it will, but you'll have to omit at least one country/region.

SD HC are not supported.
    But other 4Gb cards are almost OK.

Do you have any idea of a 4gb card that should work? If you could link me to one and where to buy it I'd really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marcosgraveyard

Just on a follow up, post European Tour, I have to say that the T920 was indispensable. throughout the whole 3500 miles we were only misdirected briefly in the UK where we were directed off the motorway and straight back on for some reason, other than that it was faultless. Even in Norway where we were informed that we were entering an area that wasn't fully mapped and that we may be given wrong directions, the Airis got us to our destination. I didn't have to resort to a road atlas the entire trip. It was easy to use and especially useful in cities when using the POI option to locate museums and shopping centres.
    I had brought the CD of the maps and a backup copy on an SD card just in case but never had need of either.
    All in all it was an excelent purchase and one that I am very pleased with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 taximan

For anyone following the instructions to upgrade their T920 using the Chicago update I have found that whilst the instructions worked for the 3395 update I cannot get the latest 3453 version working. I suspect this is cos the two updates you need (Chicago PND & Mobile 7 MMS) are currently on different versions and it's the Bitmap_Chicago.db that seems to mess things up. Not technical enough to offer anything wiser than that! I managed to get version 3395 working but that's as far as I got.

Tou can install the new v3458 for PPC, without any problem.
    Tested and approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Jib51 wrote:
    Tou can install the new v3458 for PPC, without any problem.
    Tested and approved.

Thanks for the update Jib51, is it the same install process as before just starting with the Airis running v3285 this time?

Could somebody please link me to a 2 or 4gb SD card that will definitely work with the T920a pleeeease:)

opus > are you OK with French language ? If so, you could try sto download my new software "AirisManager". After install, go to "Route66", then "Mises à jour non officielles".
    http://airisgps.blogsite.org/index.php?wiki=AirisManager

English language is planned for AirisManager.

silly question but the update only gave me a French language option, when I copied across English language files I get speech in English but the icons have 'null string' instead of the correct names. I assume one of the dll's are wrong? Cool utility though Jib51 - it got me to the latest version...now if only I could get it in English language :)

Actually reading what you put above I guess you said that - I read 'are you ok with French language' as meaning the tool was all in French, I guess you meant if I updated my Airis would all be in French! Many apologies!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What are the differences in v3458?

cormie wrote:
    Could somebody please link me to a 2 or 4gb SD card that will definitely work with the T920a pleeeease:)

anyone:confused: I'm not too lazy to do it myself, I just don't know which ones will and wont work on it. If somebody has bought a 2/4GB card for theirs before that works flawlessly, please link me to the one you bought :)

• Advertisement

Here is a link to Jib51's excellent site (translated for those of us who daydreamed during French lessons at school):

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://remotew.free.fr/airist920/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dairis%2B920%2Bfirmware%26hl%3Den

je ne regrette rien!

Am poor at this posting lark, meant to say does anyone know when the new maps are coming out? I found a site saying Route 66 will be releasing Navigate 8 and Mobile 8 pocket pc and smathphone software solutions in late September/early October using Q2, 2007 Navteq data - I'd be happy if I could get Q4, 2006!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Jib51 wrote:

Merci beaucoup Jib51 :) the upgrade to v3458 worked with AirisManager. It does need the English version of the files you posted & also I found I needed to copy the files from the card to the Infinity folder like before.

Thanks again!

For the poster who asked what SD card works then below is the link to one I bought - I have a friend in the North who can receive Amazon.co.uk parcels which helped!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDB-2048-E10-SecureDigital-Card-2Gb/dp/B000BQ7GW8/ref=pd_ts_c_th_1/203-0597777-5473518?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_r=0ZQATKJYVJFC7M26YR7A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=151112691&pf_rd_i=560798

taximan wrote:
    For the poster who asked what SD card works then below is the link to one I bought - I have a friend in the North who can receive Amazon.co.uk parcels which helped!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDB-2048-E10-SecureDigital-Card-2Gb/dp/B000BQ7GW8/ref=pd_ts_c_th_1/203-0597777-5473518?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_r=0ZQATKJYVJFC7M26YR7A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=151112691&pf_rd_i=560798

Thanks very much for the reply :)

Is this:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=100971

The same one? Does the 2gb fit all included maps? Ire, UK and all of the European countries? Also, I remember an option to "choose map" but since I only had the Ire/UK map loaded, that was the only option. I'm just wondering, if I have the IRE/UK map and the French and Spanish map installed for example, could I calculate a route from Dublin to Madrid via London and Paris for example or would I have to plan it 3 times, using each map, so Dublin - London, London to the south of england, then north of france to the south of france, then the north of spain to madrid if you get me? :)

actually it's cheaper after delivery here: http://mx2.co.uk/default.asp?part=SANSD2GB :) Just hope it's the same one!

Both links look like the card I have. I don't know about the cross-country route planning as I've never tried it but maybe someone else can comment.

Does anyone have news on map updates? I'm happy with the T920 but my maps are ancient, if there was a way to get new maps (even as a one-off) I'd be happy!

I ordered the one from mx2, so hopefully it should be here soon, and hopefully it will work:)

• Advertisement

Meant to reassure you as well that yep, you'll get all of Europe onto the 2GB card - the only reason at the moment I can see for going to a 4GB card is the extra space for MP3's etc

Advertisement