Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

taximan wrote: »
    Meant to reassure you as well that yep, you'll get all of Europe onto the 2GB card - the only reason at the moment I can see for going to a 4GB card is the extra space for MP3's etc

That's good to know:) I have a seperate mp3 player so 2gb should be fine:)

But turns out the card I ordered is out of stock on mx2, which I only found out after emailing them asking what's happening because I haven't heard anything after putting in my order :(

Noooo!!

I just formatted my card to put the French map on it and now the activation key wont work. I'm leaving for France tomorrow morning. I need this sorted asap, I only know like 2 words in French:o Any help... please please please!!

Another format and reinstall and the same activation key worked this time... phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Hi All

I have read all 41 pages and am slightly confused - do a lot of traveling in France and Spain for work and am looking for a gps with European maps to street level.

It sounds like the Airis T920XXL is the man but I think I read earlier that the maps may not be updated.

The route 66 chicago 8000 has a larger screen and the map updates seem to be much more expected.

Auris: 236 euros: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/628435/art/airis/t920xxl-2-gb-gps-europe-a.html?itag=9698#fichetechnique

chicago 8000: 288 euros:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/551224/art/route-66/chicago-8000-gps-europe-c.html?itag=9698#fichetechnique

Which one would be better ? or is there a new entrant ?

Can smeone in the know steer me in the right direction please ?

ta
    fullirish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

The Europa 8000 is 250 Euro on Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332417

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

I would go for the chicago 8000 or even the 9000 version.

I have one and there great. The screen is larger and the voice is nice and clear.

Thanks ryr and greglo - so it looks like a route 66 chicago for defo and thanks on the komplett link - good find.

Just a quick question on the difference between 8000 and 9000 - the only difference appears to be a 64MB memory and a Traffic Management Channel (TMC) - forty euros in difference - are these worth it ?

cheers
    fullirish

the only difference appears to be a 64MB memory and a Traffic Management Channel (TMC) - forty euros in difference - are these worth it ?

Ya, because you will be kicking yourself if you don't get the full 9000.

I got the 6000 when I should have got the 9000. Only discovered this after I got it

thanks RYR - final question, should I exercise some self control and wait the three to four weeks until the new route 66 maps come out (November) as per other recent post ? Or does it filter into the new products that quickly ?

cheers

Not sure about that fullirish,

You might want to check back over the forum to see if they are normally released on time.

Sometimes they give a date and it could be months after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 taximan

So what is the story on map updates for the T920? I saw via Jib51's website that Airis France might be offering an update to Q4-2006 maps.....not as good as Q2-2007 but better than I have now.....would be a little annoyed if I had to ditch the T920 for a whole new PND just cos I couldn't get maps :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

Hello to all !

I would like to know if everybody is satisfied with Route66 voices ? (either US or UK).

Maybe you already knew that we can create custom voices.
    I've created 3 french voices and if some people need another US or UK voice, I could make one.

Here are two examples :
    http://remotew.free.fr/airist920/data/files/peter-uk.wav
    http://remotew.free.fr/airist920/data/files/ibm-us.wav

Is there one you would like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Jib51 wrote: »
    Hello to all !
    I would like to know if everybody is satisfied with Route66 voices ? (either US or UK).

The UK one is fine with me, unless you have an Irish sounding version ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

A Louth one would be good. Turn rite a de end of tha sreet. Yu have reached ur gaff. :)

Seriously though the UK one is the better of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

Sorry, no TTS irish voice available on the web (except if someone could give some URLs). So maybe I would create Peter's voice for Route66...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Or how about the Dublin voice featured on gift grub :D

take a left .... right. At the end of d road take a right BUD :D

Jib51 wrote: »

English language is planned for AirisManager.

Hey Jib51 are you still planning an English version of AirisManager? Looking to mess around with my Airis but hesitant using the French version. Is it possible to 'brick' the Airis using AirisManager or can mistakes be rolled back?

Hi,
    Can anyone confirm what the latest maps are for the Airis t920a? My maps are a bit out of date and would like to update if there is an updated one available but I don't want to go and pay for it if it's the same one I have already! Is it possible to buy Britain alone since I got a CD with all of EUROPE when I bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

How much does the Airis generally pass hands for second hand? Have one that I might want to get rid of and am wondering what's a fair price. It's in really good condition, maps are Q3 or Q4 2005 though I think.

No enquiries about buying it off me here please. Will put it up on adverts.ie if I decide to sell it.

Thanks.

Maps are well out of date. I personally wouldn't pay more than a €100 with the Q3 or Q4 2005 maps on it.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I got one on adverts a while back with the Q2 2006 european maps for €120. So I would say you would be doing well to reach the €100

I know it's in this thread somewhere, but I just can't find it, but, how do you find out what Q map you have installed? Going into Help only gives you the software version? 7.0.1895. I'm thinking it's something like cold starting it and holding something down to get the map version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

whyulittle wrote: »
    I know it's in this thread somewhere, but I just can't find it, but, how do you find out what Q map you have installed? Going into Help only gives you the software version? 7.0.1895. I'm thinking it's something like cold starting it and holding something down to get the map version?

It's at the bottom of the About Navigate screen e.g. on my one is says Navteq Q2/2006....

Anyone know where to get the latest maps? I need an update! :o

opus wrote: »
    It's at the bottom of the About Navigate screen e.g. on my one is says Navteq Q2/2006....

D'oh! Thanks :P

Q4 2005 Full European Maps as it turns out.

I've Q2 2006 aswell, how many updates have their been since then? Q3, Q4 2006, along with 4 Q's for 2007 or has there been less?

Is it possible to get a single .prm file of europe (including all countries and of course UK and Ireland) on the Airis t920a? It'd be good for planning a route from say Ireland to wherever, without having to select a new map for each country you enter.

If so, is it really slow to find places and zoom around and all that because the map is so big and there would be so many results to filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Well I think I've been conned in buying the Airis. A SatNav with no updates? Useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Surely the Airis uses the same maps as any other device running Route66 software so it'll just be a matter of dropping the new maps into the folder?

Advertisement