Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

mik_da_man wrote:
    I got mine too and it's working great.:D
    even has the tiny townland where I am from in Meath (Although it's spelt wrong:rolleyes: )

Just wondering did anyone get a mains charger for it?
    and if so where?

Cheers

Mik
    The thread name is "GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?" so when you say I got mine which do you mean?. I presume you mean the Airis unit as they have the most up todate maps today but as per the mysatnav.ie site the best overall GPS unit is the nuvi. Its only downfall is the maps are yet to be released. V9 of the garmin maps are due for release any day soon so bare that in mind when buying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ok Sorry:o
    But if ya read the thread you would have seen that I ordered / got the Airis.

While the Nuvi 360/310 may have got better ratings it is €605/€422 compared to €260.
    and as I dont need the bluetooth I think I saved €160 ish so I'm happy

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Ok Sorry:o
    But if ya read the thread you would have seen that I ordered / got the Airis.

While the Nuvi 360/310 may have got better ratings it is €605/€422 compared to €260.
    and as I dont need the bluetooth I think I saved €160 ish so I'm happy

Mik
    Besk of luck with it Mik may you never get lost again and be the envy of all your friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hope this is gonna be an easy question - rec'd my T920 today and while I can set the language in the settings it only seems to work for the settings themselves i.e english settings

but when i go to navigate everything is in german or dutch?

Help? PLease!

Hi,

Did you load the British Maps on the card?

Mik

• Advertisement

HI
    It's the T920E so all of Europe is preloaded on 2gb card

So in GPS mode if i tap the screen for options they are in other language and no amount of changing language from the bootup screen makes any difference!

ok - in GPS mode press in the centre of the screen to go to settings.
    then press the down arrow on the right hand side.
    click the icon on the top right now
    then click the middle top icon
    That is where you change the language on mine anyway.

mik

i tapped the middle and came up with options with foreign names!

which icon is settings thanks!

ok when the foreign names come up:

press the down arrow on the right hand side.
    click the icon on the top right now
    then click the middle top icon
    That is where you change the language

Mik

mik_da_man you ARE the man!

worked perfect thanks! I presume you didn't have to start off with dutch language!

• Advertisement

dsmasher wrote:
    Oh and before I forget, because it comes with a 512mb card, it does not have enough memory to calculate a direct route from eg. Cork to Dublin. Unfortunately you have to give it intermediate steps. Great if you know where you are going :o ... unsure how far the range goes.

anyways just ordered a 2gb card from dabs.com for 40 euro
    Crap brand but I hoping it will do the biz

Same problem here, runs out of memory entering dublin to dungarvan - and I have the 2gig card - albeit with all of europe loaded...maybe if I took off europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Try doing a soft reset ....will flush out the OS memory. May help.
    Def taking off europe will, but try reset first. BTW no harm doing a "Hard "reset every month as well. Clears the cache ( BEWARE you lose location history ) and generally speeds things up.

eirlink wrote:
    Try doing a soft reset ....will flush out the OS memory. May help.
    Def taking off europe will, but try reset first. BTW no harm doing a "Hard "reset every month as well. Clears the cache ( BEWARE and the location history ) and generally speeds things up.

Throwing more memory is not the long term solution for buggy software as suggested above. But if it is a case of wanting all the maps on your receiver and still have it capable of calculating long journeys keep this in mind it is 4GB SD card for 95Euro including delivery.

http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/description/4Gb_Transcend_150x_Hi_Speed_Secure_Digital_card/index.html

(As an aside: if you do find it is buggy software there maybe firmware upgrades available with bug fixes, but ya probably already tried that which is why I made this point an aside.)

Hi
    I take your points about freeing up the memory card but are you sure that this would solve the problem - I wouldn't have thought the memory on the card would have any impact on the memory required for calculating routes etc as it would require that the memory card was being written to all the time - I would have thought that Ram/Flash memory i.e the 64mb that comes with the device was the issue?

thanks

Colly if you know where the firmware updates are let me know!

mik_da_man you ARE the man!

worked perfect thanks! I presume you didn't have to start off with dutch language!

No Probs:D

And I got the 512 card with mine and just loaded the British maps so all was in english

Mik

Hi
    I take your points about freeing up the memory card but are you sure that this would solve the problem - I wouldn't have thought the memory on the card would have any impact on the memory required for calculating routes etc as it would require that the memory card was being written to all the time - I would have thought that Ram/Flash memory i.e the 64mb that comes with the device was the issue?

Anyone?

Hi

thanks

Colly if you know where the firmware updates are let me know!

No idea don't have a Airis (had a quick look for there site but no joy) and I am buying a Garmin as they have a website that is well know. Garmin are continually updating there firmware to improve it. This makes me question the quality of the Airis product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Anyone?

Hey there, I was reading on a french forum over here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53123&whichpage=17

that if you enable the options "avoid motorways and tolls" then it will run out of memory calculating on long journeys.

Can you let me know if this is your problem? I don't actually have and airis yet (but hopefully soon as it looks like the best thing out there for the money). If this is not your problem I will read more in the french thread to see if it might be something else.

Oh yes, and they also say that it has nothing to do with the size of your SD card.

HI Dal

Now that you mention it I HAD checked avoid motorways.... and I think before I did that the journey did work

Bit of a bummer if you can't select the shortest route but only the motorway one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

HI Dal

Now that you mention it I HAD checked avoid motorways.... and I think before I did that the journey did work

Bit of a bummer if you can't select the shortest route but only the motorway one!
    I guess you might have to split up the journey into stages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

I got my Airis T920 yesterday. Its a great little unit for the price. I ordered it last Wednesday evening from Pixmania and had it by Monday evening. I am using only the 512 card, and so far no problems. I used it yesterday to go from Tullamore to Wexford, and then back to Dublin without any problems. I did not try to avoid tolls or motorways. I only have the UK/Ireland maps loaded

The only problem I had was with DHL. Their tracking website told me on Monday morning that it was still in the UK, but a driver tried to deliver it to me an hour later (but I was not at home at that stage). I then had to go to Ballymount to pick it up, and had to wait over an hour for 2 Muppets (I'd swear one of them was illiterate) to find my package. AVOID DHL.

johnjay wrote:

The only problem I had was with DHL. Their tracking website told me on Monday morning that it was still in the UK, but a driver tried to deliver it to me an hour later (but I was not at home at that stage). I then had to go to Ballymount to pick it up, and had to wait over an hour for 2 Muppets (I'd swear one of them was illiterate) to find my package. AVOID DHL.

I had a prob with them lads too.
    Their tracking site didn't show the parcel as delivered until 7pm on friday.
    But it was delivered @ 11am!
    Also when I rang them on friday to see where it was the girl didn't have a clue. It was with a 3dr party driver but she had no way to contact him so she told me there was nothing more she could do and to "hope for the best":eek:

podgeandrodge,
    Navigate 7 updates are available from Route 66 free ( once you have the CD rom ) as and when they are needed. Thankfully the navigate 7 software is very robust and therefore does not require this often. Just check out their site, none to download at present though.

Hi Eirlink

Thats good to know. But I fear the problem with the "avoid motorways" giving a lack of memory error may be due to the unit's own built in memory and not the Route66 software...

Has anyone found T920 firmware - maybe an update will cure this?

Dal I agree I may have to split the journey but part of having a GPS was to calculate the shortest route - if I manually choose an inbetween point it sort of defeats the purpose! I'm amazed the unit can ship like this....

Hi Eirlink

Thats good to know. But I fear the problem with the "avoid motorways" giving a lack of memory error may be due to the unit's own built in memory and not the Route66 software...

Has anyone found T920 firmware - maybe an update will cure this?

Dal I agree I may have to split the journey but part of having a GPS was to calculate the shortest route - if I manually choose an inbetween point it sort of defeats the purpose! I'm amazed the unit can ship like this....

Podgeandrodge...I think youre right, it only hits memory prob when aviod motorways is chosen. this would suggest the airis internal memory is not able to import the map data in order to run the algorithym to find the shortest / fastest route. I will have to dig deeper into this to find whats up.I think the glitch is caused by the software looking at ALL possible routes and then chosing the shortest. If this is so then maybe it looks at going into NI ! as one option. Dont know ,just thinking out loud.

if anyone has Route 66 loaded on a PDA / Axim , if they try this and it works ok then the prob lies with the Airis. If it fails the prob lies in the R66 package.
    My initial enquiries suggest a larger SD card is needed,but i dont have any lying around that i can format at present.

Update...

I shoved everything over onto a 1 gig card and error is still there, so its not the card.( leaving 700 odd MB free on card). Does anyone know if Windows CE uses swap file function, whereby it uses up free memory ( albeit on Sd card ) to boost RAM?

Strange one this..
    It will do Sandyford ind est to kinnegad no problem avoiding motorways ( M50 & M4 ) !!

My conclusion is:
    Its not the SD card size, avoid motorways option, or airis firmware.
    Its got to do with "distance "...!

I tried this on a Medion and same thing., so if the medion unit and the airis have the same RAM then thats where the problem is.

Medion has 64MB..does anyone know what airis has?

I may have to go back to msatnav.ie to solve this and get the fix...im glad i bought local now.will keep youze posted.

mik_da_man wrote:
    Also when I rang them on friday to see where it was the girl didn't have a clue. It was with a 3dr party driver but she had no way to contact him so she told me there was nothing more she could do and to "hope for the best":eek:

I have a better one - one of the Muppets in their collection desk told me and another punter who was collecting a package to always "wrap your package like it was an atomic bomb" when you sent it with DHL because "they get thrown all over the place" by the drivers, apparently most of their drivers are "foreigners who don’t give a **** and cant read or write English"!! I should really put an email of complaint together for them - they were also extremely rude to an Eastern European chap who also came to pick up a package that they had lost.

Eirlink - another thing to keep in mind - when the error occurs did you notice that the out of memory error appears IMMEDIATELY - which would lead me to believe its more a system error than memory - if it was memory it would take a "little" while to realise it had the memory problem - whereas in this case it is instantaneous!

Keep us informed cheers!

eirlink wrote:
    Podgeandrodge...I think youre right, it only hits memory prob when aviod motorways is chosen.

Well, I dont avoid motorways or toll roads, so its not something thats gonna bother me.

• Advertisement

johnjay wrote:
    Well, I dont avoid motorways or toll roads, so its not something thats gonna bother me.

correct,well said:D :D

Advertisement