Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Eirlink - another thing to keep in mind - when the error occurs did you notice that the out of memory error appears IMMEDIATELY - which would lead me to believe its more a system error than memory - if it was memory it would take a "little" while to realise it had the memory problem - whereas in this case it is instantaneous!

Keep us informed cheers!

It does exactly same on Medion i have here loaded on a 1 gig Sd ...so
    its either a Route 66 glitch or lack of RAM.

Im using version 7.0.990 of R66 navigate 7
    Someone on here has a newer version. can they try pls and let us know.
    Thanks

johnjay wrote:
    I have a better one - one of the Muppets in their collection desk told me and another punter who was collecting a package to always "wrap your package like it was an atomic bomb" when you sent it with DHL because "they get thrown all over the place" by the drivers, apparently most of their drivers are "foreigners who don’t give a **** and cant read or write English"!! I should really put an email of complaint together for them - they were also extremely rude to an Eastern European chap who also came to pick up a package that they had lost.

I sent one of our guys to athlone depot this morning to see if stuff was there ( to aviod having DHL calling and no one to sign ) and i told him to keep ringing them as he was driving. He said their phone was ringing from 9am till 10.10 - no answer.

When he asked why nobody answered he was told "there all out on the floor or the ringer is off " !!FFS

My guy watched the fellow looking around and he said he looked like a crow looking into a crisp bag :D
    All i got was a laugh.....

Seriously though, they need to be informed.Email is good idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

eirlink wrote:
    Im using version 7.0.990 of R66 navigate 7
    Someone on here has a newer version. can they try pls and let us know.
    Thanks

I'll check - but how do i check my version? :o

Cheers

mik_da_man wrote:
    I'll check - but how do i check my version? :o

Cheers

>main menu
    >scroll down to help
    >click help
    >about navigate

cheers

OK I have 7.0.1895

Not as up to date as yours methinks?

Mik

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote:
    OK I have 7.0.1895

Not as up to date as yours methinks?

Mik

No Mik...youre ahead on this one.

Mik_da_man = 1895
    Eirlink = 990.

youre newer.:(
    so it looks like its the RAM?

ok cool :D

So I tested mine, planned a route from dublin (where I live) to bandon road Cork city using motorways and it worked fine.:)
    Then I switched to Aviod motorways and it did a re-calc and no error.:)
    Then I did a new route avoiding motorways and I got the error :mad:

Also does anyone know what the symbol below is?

symbol.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eirlink wrote:
    No Mik...youre ahead on this one.

Mik_da_man = 1895
    Eirlink = 990.

youre newer.:(
    so it looks like its the RAM?

I have version 1895 and it states Q4 2005..... want an update!

Eirlink let us know what mysatnav say about memory!!

I have version 1895 and it states Q4 2005..... want an update!

Eirlink let us know what mysatnav say about memory!!

you have the newer route 66 software but the older maps....did you not buy of pixmania??? :confused:

Well the "about navigate" states 7.0.1895 Route 66 Q4 2005/12/2

Yep got from Pixmania but it was the 'all of europe' version as opposed to Ireland/UK so there must be a difference....presume I'll be entitled to an upgrade..

• Advertisement

Yep got from Pixmania but it was the 'all of europe' version as opposed to Ireland/UK so there must be a difference....presume I'll be entitled to an upgrade..

The Q2 2006 update was for Ireland / UK maps ONLY...europe remained on Q4 cause the mapping was already pretty extensive anyway. If you want these maps you will have to buy seperate....sorry

As i explained in a previous post, route 66 got caught with their pants down due to a graphical error on their branding and as a result had to act fast and get the latest Eire mapping...enter navteq Q2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230036954706&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D230036954706%26fvi%3D1
    currently thinking of going ahead with buying this one after reading the reveiws , but on the ebat site free speed trap upgrade? WOULD THAT NOT BE ILLEGAL.
    and would most gps units be able for upgrade.
    as in this speed trap device.

the above is listed over 100 euro more from here a local irish company
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=125359

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

dave101 wrote:
    but on the ebat site free speed trap upgrade? WOULD THAT NOT BE ILLEGAL.

Presumably they mean that they'll load Points of Interest onto the unit which will give a warning when you approach a trap which is perfectly legal. Speed Detectors are illegal.

The speed trap upgrade won't be of much use in Ireland as we're only a handful of fixed camera locations at the moment which most people are already aware.

Originally Posted by podgeandrodge

When did you get yours from pixmania?
    I got mine last week and it has "7.0.1895 Q2/2006 ENGLAND + IRELAND"

mik_da_man wrote:
    When did you get yours from pixmania?
    I got mine last week and it has "7.0.1895 Q2/2006 ENGLAND + IRELAND"

I think it's just that UK/Ireland is not separate when you get the whole of Europe on the T920E version so they haven't updated to Q2 2006.

In hindsight I should have got the T920EF version like u did and just loaded european maps when i needed them....

Eirlink - were you on to mysatnav about the memory issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

eirlink wrote:
    The Q2 2006 update was for Ireland / UK maps ONLY...europe remained on Q4 cause the mapping was already pretty extensive anyway. If you want these maps you will have to buy seperate....sorry

As i explained in a previous post, route 66 got caught with their pants down due to a graphical error on their branding and as a result had to act fast and get the latest Eire mapping...enter navteq Q2.

So this explains why route 66 is ahead of Garmin, only because of legal reasons.

The mapping in garmin is a disgrace,

That's nothing to do with the fact that the unit is a Garmin, it's because of the version of the mapping software he has on his unit.

Colly wrote:
    So this explains why route 66 is ahead of Garmin, only because of legal reasons.

Nope ....The Q2 maps are available to anyone (incl R66 and Garmin) who wants to pay for them. At that time Route 66 wanted them , obviously Garmin did not.

R66 needed them so they went ahead and got them. Garmin could have done the same and given its followers the same level of mapping being enjoyed at moment.

R66 is ahead by choice.

eirlink wrote:
    Nope ....The Q2 maps are available to anyone (incl R66 and Garmin) who wants to pay for them. At that time Route 66 wanted them , obviously Garmin did not.

R66 needed them so they went ahead and got them. Garmin could have done the same and given its followers the same level of mapping being enjoyed at moment.

R66 is ahead by choice.
    Fully understand the maps are available to whoever wants to pay for them and the closer to the release date of the maps the more expensive they probably are. I am saying that it is possible R66 bought them a little earlier due to the mistake on packaging. Don't get me wrong the sooner maps are released to the consumer like you and me the better for us. In fact the early purchase of the Q2 2006 maps by R66 may cause garmin to buy and release them sooner than they had planned. So it will work to everyones advantage if there is an early purchaser of maps.

eirlink
    did mysatnav have any news for you on the memory problem? ( I feel guilty asking you when I purchased from Pixmania!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

I wonder how accurate the Airis is as a spedometer?

I notice when I drive on a motorway the unit says I am going 120 km/ph but my car spedo says I am closer to 130! :eek:

It seems to be more accurate at lower speeds.

Colly wrote:
    Fully understand the maps are available to whoever wants to pay for them and the closer to the release date of the maps the more expensive they probably are. I am saying that it is possible R66 bought them a little earlier due to the mistake on packaging. Don't get me wrong the sooner maps are released to the consumer like you and me the better for us. In fact the early purchase of the Q2 2006 maps by R66 may cause garmin to buy and release them sooner than they had planned. So it will work to everyones advantage if there is an early purchaser of maps.

Agreed...most companies will wait till new hardware is in production before purchasing licences for updates. The newer maps compliment the new product and therefore ensure increased sales.

The R66 slip actually worked to their advantage cause it raised brand awareness for their software and made others sit up also.

Real winner of course in this instance was the consumer.

eirlink
    did mysatnav have any news for you on the memory problem? ( I feel guilty asking you when I purchased from Pixmania!!)

will send them a mail over weekend. If anyone else finds out in meantime please advise.

mik_da_man wrote:

Also does anyone know what the symbol below is?

symbol.jpg

Anyone else have this on their Airis?

johnjay wrote:
    I wonder how accurate the Airis is as a spedometer?

I notice when I drive on a motorway the unit says I am going 120 km/ph but my car spedo says I am closer to 130! :eek:

It seems to be more accurate at lower speeds.

I drive a focus and the airis is always pretty close to my speedo.
    I tested it on the M1 yesterday and drove at a constant 120 for a while and the airis showed 115/116

At lower speeds it's also pretty accurate, but remember for an accurate reading it needs to be a constant speed and in a straight line

mik_da_man wrote:
    I drive a focus and the airis is always pretty close to my speedo.
    I tested it on the M1 yesterday and drove at a constant 120 for a while and the airis showed 115/116

At lower speeds it's also pretty accurate, but remember for an accurate reading it needs to be a constant speed and in a straight line

The signal you get from the satelites above you at the time of day you are using receiver will probably dictate the accuracy in poistion and speed. For example if you are getting 3meter accuracy that will give you a more accurate record of your speed than 7meters accuracy I would have thought. Also it would depend on how often it receives updates from the satelites and how often the receiver performs the maths on the device distance/time=speed. So only the developers could say the refresh rate of the speed calculation and what parameters dictate its accuracy there maybe even more that I have not listed as they make the device functional rather than technical so everyone can use them so hide the brains of the system behind the interface.

Colly wrote:
    In fact the early purchase of the Q2 2006 maps by R66 may cause garmin to buy and release them sooner than they had planned. So it will work to everyones advantage if there is an early purchaser of maps.

Garmin already have the latest versions of the maps, they're coming bundled with their latest hardware and should be available to purchase very soon as an update to everyone else.

Jip wrote:
    Garmin already have the latest versions of the maps, they're coming bundled with their latest hardware and should be available to purchase very soon as an update to everyone else.

Correct the Nuvi 660 has V9 pre installed (Which use Navteq Q2 2006 data). the map update will be released soon either before or just after Christmas ie November is what I heard but that is not confirmed the last release V8 was released on the 1st Jan 2006 and shipped in June so we may see something similiar this time round released Nov or Jan and shipped in April 2007 or June 2007 depending on the release date. The fact that Route 66 have already released the Q2 2006 maps in there product may speed Garmin up but who knows only the Garmin team, heres hoping it is shipped in November but historically there is a delay between release and shipment date for whatever reason.(Time to burn the DVD's, further testing)

mik_da_man wrote:
    Anyone else have this on their Airis?

Yes but haven't figured it out yet - but it only occurs while actually navigating...

• Advertisement

Yep - same for me, and nothing in the user guide about it:(

Advertisement