Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchange 2003 Public Folder Replication Issue

• 03-09-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I am replacing an older Exchange (2003 SP2) server we have in our office.

I installed Exchange 2003 SP2 on the new server (Win2k3 R2) and moved all mailboxes successfully over to the new server.

I then used the "Move All Replicas" command to move all the public folders (approx. 12GB) to the new Exchange server. I watched as this took hours but seemed to be going ok...
    However, the new instances of the public folders are missing a lot of information, e.g. one public folder is 1.9GB in size - the replica on the new server is only 1GB in size :(

I'm in all day today (Sunday :() trying to sort this out - I've turned on diagnostic logging on the recommended areas and there seem to be no errors, but I can't see the instances growing any bigger.

Also, most of these public folders are mail enabled. I've gotten NDRs for some test messages I sent on Friday. I thought that whilst replication was ongoing ther PFs would still be able to accept messages?

Does anyone have any idea if I can check whether all content will be replicated, and when?
    I was supposed to completely decommission this server this week, but that doesn't look like it's going to work now :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Hi WIzzard

Have you just the one Exchnage server or has this new 2k3 Exchange box an old server ro replicate from ?

If you like you could copy the Pub1.edb and the PUB1.stm and lof files from the old box and try to mount the Public store?

If you have another server for these public folders to repliate from you can change the replication times on the Public folder replication

also you might want to post you question on this fourm site

http://www.msexchange.org

I find it very helpfull from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

This new box has an older server to replicate from.
    Would mounting the pub1 files not cause issues because the server name is different?
    I've set the replication timing to "Always" which I thought would hurry up the replication but to no avail. I might post this question on the MSExchange site tomorrow - it slipped my mind this evening! :o

Hmm I thought you might be able to copy over PUB1.edb, but what if you run a NT Backup of it from the OlD server and choose a restore of it to the new box? and then run the esutil /cc command ?

Yeah, I was thinking of that too. However, because the Public Folders list in the original server is empty (due to the "Move all replicas" command I am doubting the benefit of that :( The public folder instances folder still has the PFs listed with correct size values, but the actual Public Folders list (of the folders that reside on that server) is empty.
    I'm quite worried about the NDRs that I received though - that is not good... :(

• Advertisement

have you mail enabled the public folders on the new server, by default in Exchange 2003 these are not mail enabled ? just a thought

Yes they are. The "Move All Replicas" copies folder settings as well as content (supposedly, I'm still waiting on a lot of content :()

hmm I suppose wait and see, but this is no good if the users come in the morning and external mail are boucning if they send to public folders,

I suppose a work around till you get it sorted is removed the SMTP address from the Public folder and create a temp user and give them the SMTP address of the Public folders affected?? this way at least the mail wont be lost

You seem to use public folders heavily if you have over 10gig in them are they all mail enabled or just some

Have you many users on you server?

Have all the user mailboxes migrated ok?

The mail enabled folders are used pretty heavily - e.g. Sales@, Info@ and CustomerService@ addresses.

There are approx 30 users on the server, and all mailboxes have migrated perfectly...

hmm sh1te then, pity about the public folders, If you create a new one does the mail bounce back?

• Advertisement

well how did you get on last night with the public folders>?

Horribly :(
    Can't recover the store as it has no public folders - just instances (which I can't seem to access). I can rollback to a previous backup but that means that current messages are lost anyway - not exactly what I want...
    Really annoyed - why can't replicate actually do what it says?? :mad:

Am going through KB articles now getting precisely nowhere...
    Following this troubleshooting guide too, although it seems that everything is going ok... :(

This guy has the same issue as me :(

Update:
    For some reason replication continued successfully yesterday.
    All folders disappeared from the public folder instances this morning and that server has since been successfully decommissioned.

weird but nice ! well done

send on the documentation !

Advertisement