Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie needing help

Options
  • 03-09-2006 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

would anyone know how the best way to get from drogheda to UCD would be. Any help appreciated, thanks:)

Comments

Train to Pearse Station, 46A to UCD? That's my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

If you've got a heavy bag get a 10, brings you right into the campus - that walk from the 46a stop can be a nasty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The train from Drogheda stops at Sydney Parade which is about a 10/15 minute walk from campus. Good few trains in the morning. :)

And btw, move out as soon as you can, you'll have the best time in college that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Garret wrote:
    would anyone know how the best way to get from drogheda to UCD would be. Any help appreciated, thanks:)

I commuted from Balbriggan for 3 years and your best bet is to get the train into connolly and stroll up talbot street to o'connell street and get the number 10 straight into UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The train from Drogheda stops at Sydney Parade which is about a 10/15 minute walk from campus. Good few trains in the morning. :)

:D:D:D if you walk at a speed of 20mph! I suppose you could do this to but the walk to campus from Sydney Parade is 25 minutes but AFAIK there's isn't a massive amount of commuter trains going from Drogheda straight out to Sydney Parade but the DART would be handy for transferring at Pearse in either direction.

OP best bet is to train it to Connolly Station and get the 10 or 46A from O'Connell Street. The 46A is quicker at about 15 - 20 mins to the Stillorgan dual carriageway (and has alot nicer bus!) and a short walk across the bridge to campus. You could do the Sydney Parade route too but that walk is pain is there is no number 2/3 bus. It wouldn't be entirely crazy to suggest that you could do the commute to Drogheda in 1hr 45 or even slightly less with good scheduling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

cheers for all the advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I commuted from Balbriggan for 3 years and your best bet is to get the train into connolly and stroll up talbot street to o'connell street and get the number 10 straight into UCD.
    that's basically what i did from dundalk, only had to do it at the weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Peachy, is it possible to make it from town to ucd (around 12.30) in 1/2 an hour on the 10 (i'm working and one of the lectures is on my lunch break)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

A friend of mine commutted from Drogheda for 2 years. A very bad idea. He spent so much time traveling it affected his grades. He moved into on campus accomodation, and thought it was a great idea.

The 46A is yoru bet bet to get from town to UCD. It stops right outside UCD, and it's one of the most regular busses in dublin AFAIK.

Walking fro Syndney Parade (or booterstown) dart station doesn't take long. Only about 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Or leave a bike overnight at the dart to save a 20 min walk, it's a big hill in the mornings and a nice spin down in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Peachy, is it possible to make it from town to ucd (around 12.30) in 1/2 an hour on the 10 (i'm working and one of the lectures is on my lunch break)

If you're restricted time-wise I'd recommend the 46a and then walk into the college. Like the others have said the 46a is usually quicker and far more frequent.
    Syth wrote:
    A friend of mine commutted from Drogheda for 2 years. A very bad idea. He spent so much time traveling it affected his grades. He moved into on campus accomodation, and thought it was a great idea.

While I agree that Drogheda is a bit of a trek I do think that grades being affected depends entirely on the course you're doing. If it's long hours with lots of time in labs/practicals then the travelling could do damage. However, if it's something like Arts which has significantly less lecture time then it may not be so bad. Plus you can always use the time on the train to get some reading done.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dovescar

And btw, move out as soon as you can, you'll have the best time in college that way
    What effect does this have?
    how early do ya mean too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

The most direct route is the 7:18 from Drogheda getting into Sydney Parade at 8:30. I used to hop on that one at Howth Junction - which is the most frotteured(sic) train in the known world. It's so full I fell out on my face at Connolly when the doors opened. Many times. Grand though if you hop on at Drogheda. Stroll up you'll easily be in for 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

get the mathews bus from drogheda 2 parnell street in dublin, and the bus stop for the no. 10 and 46a is literally a minute walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from da moment u step onto the bus in drogheda 2 ucd will be no more than an hour and 15mins!!

forget the trains!! i have m8s commuting daily to ucd from dundalk and thats what they do!! plus da train 2 dublin always breaks down!!! 4get that, get da mathews bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

A couple of my housemates commutted from Drogheda for the first month when they started their degrees. They now refer to it as one of the darkest periods of their lives...waking at 6.30am and getting home after 8pm, feeeling exhausted and demoralised. Commuting will certainly give you a long-abiding hatred for the rat race and humanity in general, not to mention trains and buses in particular. You will miss out on the college experience of societies and craic, and your grades will probably suffer, and when you factor in the cost in terms of time and lack of freedom, it amounts to something greater than finding accomodation nearby.

If you must commute, take Matthew's Bus from the North Rd., Narrow West St. or Donore Rd. and the journey is less than an hour. Then take a 10, 11, 11A or 46A from O'Connell St. and be in UCD in 15 to 30 minutes. This is not only quicker than the train, but it will save you money too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

just cos some of you had mates who didnt like the travelling, doesnt mean the OP will

i had a friend who commuted from dunleer to dublin on the CIE bus to UCD, everyday

he was doing a post grad in accounting, so he had to cram 2 years work into a one year course

he ended up getting an average mark of 74%

its not always a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

I don't think it matters what course you do, commuting long distances affects your coursework and more importantly your social life. Did it for a year and was dead on my feet. Four years would be a killer. Also any notion you have of studying on the train/bus, forget it. It'll either be too cramped or noisy, you'll fall asleep or you'll see people you know and get talking to them.

My advise if you can, move up. If you can't I'd recommend the matthews bus from knowledge of it from a mate. Quicker and cheaper than the train. Or if you get the train get the ones that go to Sydney Parade. Walked it today and 15-20 mins is easily do-able from the student centre to the station.

Advertisement