Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very slow download on Eircom 1Mb package

• 03-09-2006 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got Eircoms 1mb package the other day, and so far it has been fine (playing games etc).

However, I'm currently trying to download a updated driver for my motherboard (mic not working) and the transfer rate is only at approx
    7KB/sec.

This can hardly be right. Is there any router settings I need to tweak, or tests I can do to see why this is so slow.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

D>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

DonalN wrote:
    However, I'm currently trying to download a updated driver for my motherboard (mic not working) and the transfer rate is only at approx
    7KB/sec.
    If you're downloading the driver from some site in Taiwan, that wouldn't necessarily be an unusual speed. (I've seen similiar speeds on driver downloads).

Motherboard makers don't sell many motherboards over the web, and they don't tend to spend a lot of money of fast links.

If you were only getting 7KB/sec from ftp.heanet.ie, then you'd have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks..

it's downloading from ftp-usa.abit.com.tw

So the 'tw' is Taiwan I take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

as I'm waiting for this to download, I'm trying to see if I can fix the problem. Basically, the mic just stopped working - I've tried different mics that i know work on another pc.

Using the Sound Hardware Test Wizard, when I'm in the Microphone test, the bar is rising up automatically to the top, but there is no 'green' sound level change beside it.

I'm probably not describing it properly - i haven't figured out yet how to attach a screen capture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That Abit site (along with alot of .tw sites) is brutal for download speeds.
    Try a speed test here: www.irishisptest.com/myspeed and see what your speed is. You'll need to register but it's free.

For your mic problem, post it in the Computers forum and you'll get a better response. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Advertisement