Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Dropping when Phone Rings

Options
  • 03-09-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I have two Dell Dimension 9150 PCs and a Belkin ADSL Wireless Modem Router. Wireless network is fine. I'm also on Eircom Broadband.

Problem is that when my phone rings or someone makes a call, the internet connection drops and I have to go into the Belkin software to re-connect. The phone light on the router flashes and then the internet connection light goes out. The phone light subsequently stabilises and once I re-connect I can use the internet via both PCs at the same time as someone is on the phone.

I did not have this problem while using my old PC and netopia router (not wireless) so the initial phone call seems to be affecting the signal from the phone line to the wireless modem/router. According to the Belkin setup, its using channel 11.

Any ideas? Would a channel change help or is it just an inferior piece of equipment (ie the Belkin modem/router)?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I assume you have the filters that you got with the Netopia box still plugged into the phone socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

I assume you have the filters that you got with the Netopia box still plugged into the phone socket?

As I recall, I left the filter connected to the phone line and just hooked up the new Belkin modem. Having checked the wiring, I believe that I also used the original ADSL modem cable and pluged it into the Belkin modem. I assume that this is the same as the RJ11 modem cable that I got with the Beklin (which is still in its plastic bag - have I made a boo boo?).

The phone socket is an extension from the main one in the hall. No filter on this but there is an adapter fitted to it which was installed by the Sky + engineer to connect the two Sky + boxes to the phone line. This did not affect my internet connection using the older PC and Netopia ADSL modem setup.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Using the original cable is fine.

You will need to have a filter attached to every phone socket in your home. In the case of the one with the Sky boxes attached, you will need to attach the filter directly into the socket, and the splitter into the filter (I recall the guy fitting our Sky box made the error of putting them on in the wrong order).
    This did not affect my internet connection using the older PC and Netopia ADSL modem setup.
    This is odd. Was there ever a filter on the other phone socket? Because you should have been seeing problems no matter what if there was no filter attached.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Why do I need a filter on each line? Only one socket is connected to the modem.

Filter/Splitter - is this not the same thing?

The connection for Sky in the hall is just a small white rectangular box plugged directly into the phone socket with the two Sky and phone cables attached. Like i said, this had no effect in previous setup. The only other recent change I can think of is that Eircom gave me a new cordless phone which I have put in the bedroom instead of the very old one that was there - no filter on this socket either and never was.

Which is why I thought the problem was connected to the Belkin modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

DECT cordless phones are known to cause problems with BB. Disconnect it and use the old phone to make a call to see if the problem disappears. At the very least put a filter on it. As Aidan said, You need a filter on every device connected to a phone socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

LSLFAN wrote:
    Thanks again for the quick reply.

Why do I need a filter on each line? Only one socket is connected to the modem.

Filter/Splitter - is this not the same thing?

You need it a filter for each phone/fax etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

jd wrote:
    You need it a filter for each phone/fax etc

Also need filter on your SKY connection. These filters cut out the interferance to your BB connection.

Thanks guys, for the advice.

The wikipedia article was interesting and answered some queries.

I'll get a couple of extra filters at the weekend and see if they help.

Much appreciated.

Hi guys, back again.

I put good DSL filters on each of the three phone sockets but the connection is still dropping when the phone rings or at various times during internet usage.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you live withing 1.5km of the exchange but your extensions are wired in a star formation and not in series ..maybe

and are there over 4 telephone sockets in the house can you disconnect any of them ?

• Advertisement

Did you disconnect the new cordless phone to see if thats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I also have the same problem. I am using a wireless linksys modem on my eircom connection and whenever the phone rings I lose my connection. Both my phone line and wired phone have a filter on them. I can't see the problem :(

I also have the same problem. I am using a wireless linksys modem on my eircom connection and whenever the phone rings I lose my connection. Both my phone line and wired phone have a filter on them. I can't see the problem :(
    Did you try the Eircom supplied modem and and did you disconnect the cordless phone to see if thats the problem? DECT cordless phones are known to cause problems with BB whether it's filtered or not.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you live withing 1.5km of the exchange but your extensions are wired in a star formation and not in series ..maybe

and are there over 4 telephone sockets in the house can you disconnect any of them ?

Sorry, but your first response means nothing to me. There are only three phone sockets.

I have two Eircom cordless phones and an older cord version beside the computer. I disconnected the two cordless (including the Sky connection) but I still lost the internet connection as soon as I made a call.

The phone light on the Belkin modem goes out when I make a call and then the internet light/connection goes. The phone light subsequently flashes while I'm on a call and then steadies, allowing me to reinstate the internet connection.

Something is interfering with the phone connection to the wireless Belkin modem/router as soon as I make a call but also on a regular basis while on the internet.

As I mentioned earlier, with my old wired setup and Netopia broadband modem and previous PC, I had no problem and no filter on any phone socket.

My father is now the proud owner of my old PC and Netopia modem and he has no problem when making a call while he is on the net. He also has cordless and cord phones.

Sounds like its a problem with the wireless modem but I defer to the experts here.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I phrased my above statement in an odd way...I only have one phone and it is wired. When I receiver a call or try to make one the Internet synch light goes out on my modem and I lose connectivity until the call is over. I don't really mind this though because I don'use it that often anyway but I still am curious as to why its happening :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sounds like a dodgy filter which happens to 10% of cheap filters . the filter is supposed to keep the phone and dsl on different frequencies so they do not interfere with each other .

I am using the same filters as I used with my netopia modem.

I'll try replacing them anyway,it may work.

Any thoughts guys?

See my last post on the 16th.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

take your broadband connection from the first point in to the house.
    is the telephone wiring in the house looped or are all the points wired from the first central point ..either way filter the entire house here too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Faulty filter. perhaps the netopia wasa bit more tolerant of the interference than the belkin.

• Advertisement

Faulty filter. perhaps the netopia wasa bit more tolerant of the interference than the belkin.

There are filters on all three sockets. They are new so I don't think they are faulty.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the Belkin is just not good enough.

My father got a Netopia 2247 from Eircom recently but it does not have a USB connection so I gave him my old one and swiped his.

Does anybody use this Netopia model? Is the connection stable?

Any help appreciated.

I placed a filter in a phone socket that had no phone in it and Viola its working properly again thanks everybody :D

Well, still have a lot of dropped connections and having checked a lot of other forums it sounds like the Belkin has a history of connectivity problems.

I think I will try and replace the Belkin with the Netopia 2247 NWG which my father got from Eircom but can't use because its got no USB connection.

Do I have to uninstall the Belkin software first or can I just use the Netopia CD? I can't see any Belkin software in "Add/Remove Programs" or on the Start list so I not sure how I would uninstall it anyway!!

If you're using ethernet you don't need to install any software from the CD. It's basically 'plug & play'.

Advertisement