Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with selecting a new graphics card ?

Options
  • 03-09-2006 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a techno-weenie when it comes to changing my graphics card. I've built several computers, and am currently messing around with my older one until I upgrade fully once Vista comes out.

Anyway, as I say, I've always avoided graphics cards and gotten someone else to do it, but now my mate who usually does it is gone off to do his masters in America, so I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I'm looking to spend about €90 - €200 on a decent card that will allow me to play Counter Strike : Source, and possible World of Warcraft at their highest possible spec (if such a card in this price-range exists !). At the moment I'm on an eMachines 570, which came with a "GeForce 4 MX 440 nVidia 64MB AGP".

How would I go about checking what kind of graphics card connection my motherboard can take so you guys can help me ? I honestly don't have a clue, despite working on computers for the best part of 6 years now ! :)

So, yeah, if any of you could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Oh, the computer has a 2 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, just so y'all know.

I realise I should be buying an entirely new computer at this stage, but this is just a quick fix solution for a few months while I try and find a job, as Chorus have just unceremoniously tossed me out ;)

Ok, after a bit of sleuthing, I've decided on this card, Link.

Can anyone suggest why I shouldn't go for this one, or if possible link to a better site to order from.

Also, would I have to upgrade my PSU or should it be OK ? I don't know the wattage at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

As far as I know, that is the best AGP card out there aside from an nVidia GeForce 7800GS but you won't get it for under €200.

The X850 should be more than fine for Counter Strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A 7600GS should allow WoW and CS: Source to be playable at high settings and be a lot easier on the wallet. You wont have to upgrade your PSU either, there are cheaper 7600GS cards on Komplett but not in stock.

The X850Pro is a decent card as well but with conversion to Euros plus shipping it will work out more expensive that's if Savastore deliver to Ireland.

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    As far as I know, that is the best AGP card out there aside from an nVidia GeForce 7800GS but you won't get it for under €200.

The X850 should be more than fine for Counter Strike.

Thanks a lot for the reply! :)

The main problem now is that I'll also have to replace the 250W PSU that came with the computer with at least a 350W one, will go for 400W though, and I have absolutely no idea what to buy in this respect. I've read some PSU buying guides on the net and there are so many different types of connections and whatnot it just has my brain completely frazzled.

I don't have a clue what kind of connections would be needed for the motherboard, and whether it takes a 20 pin ATX or 24 or what would be needed to connect it to the DVD-Drive, floppy drive etc. Also, is there a kind of standard in "size" of PSUs or will all PSUs fit in a computer ?

Can anybody help ? :)

My head hurts :o

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    A 7600GS should allow WoW and CS: Source to be playable at high settings and be a lot easier on the wallet. You wont have to upgrade your PSU either, there are cheaper 7600GS cards on Komplett but not in stock.

The X850Pro is a decent card as well but with conversion to Euros plus shipping it will work out more expensive that's if Savastore deliver to Ireland.

I could kiss you right now. Seriously.

Thanks a lot :)

Edit : Would it definetely work with a 250W PSU ?

It seems too good to be true ! :)

Edit #2:
    System Requirements: Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.

:(

http://www.directron.com/256p2n549tr.html

More like 300W for the AGP version, it's a close call it depends on how much else is in the system if you have only a few peripherals like one hard drive and DVD drive then you just may squeeze by with the 250W PSU.

Even if it doesn't work out you can get cheap & nasty power supplies for next to nothing see this 300W model for €30 it will do.

Thanks a lot. Its more the hassle of finding a compatible PSU than actually paying for one, if you know what I mean ! :)

I'll order it after a look at some more reviews and stuff, I only have one DVD drive attached and the CD drive has been unattached for some time now (broken!), and one HD, so it could work, I suppose. We shall see.

Thanks a lot for the help ! :)

Edit : The PSU you linked has a 24 pin main output...as my computer is older, would it be more likely to have a 20pin output ?

Or am I completely wrong ? :)

The extra 4 pins are optional and need not be plugged in, it will work fine with 20 pin connections.

Edit: Correction that model it seems is only 24-pin, there is another with 20 & 24 pin connections for the same price but not in stock.

It's also possible to use an adaptor that will convert 24-pin connections into 20-pin ones but annoyingly Komplett are also out of stock of that too!

Thanks a lot for the responses ! :)

Just two more questions :

Do you think I would see a big jump in performance from the 7600 GS to the 6800GS ? The 6800GS is available here - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=317265 - for 232 euro, which slightly streches my budget, but I would be willing to spend that much if I would see a much better picture. Do you think the extra money justifies the better quality ?

Also, when buying a new PSU, is the only thing I have to take into account withregards to compatibility, the 20/24pins to connect to the motherboard ? What else should I be looking at ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

• Advertisement

As for the 7600GS vs the 6800GS I would not say it's worth it if all you play is WoW and CS: Source neither of which are terribly demanding games graphics wise.

All the 6800GS would allow is you to run the game at higher resolutions & perhaps some increase in the use of AA/AF.

As for the PSU nothing else to you need to know of that's pretty much it.

How would you feel about getting this - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314827&view=detailed - card ? It's clearance on Kelkoo, has a warranty for 12months and loos fairly OK. AGP. Should be compatible.

Think I'd have to order a new PSU for it ? Worth the extra aggro ? Any opinions on clearance products ?

It's really between this card, and the 7600GS at the moment, so I'll probably go on whatever you guys say. :)

The 7600GS is the replacement for the 6600GT it offers slightly better performance over it's predecessor.

Plus it comes with more RAM than the 6600GT 128MB was never an ideal amount.

Thanks so much for the help.

I'm gonna order the 7600 now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324733&view=detailed
    Cant understand why its cheaper than the 6600gt?

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Here: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324733&view=detailed
    Cant understand why its cheaper than the 6600gt?

So should I be ordering http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324733&view=detailed this card, or http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323848 this card ??? :confused:

They both seem the same, so, any ideas/opinions please ? :)

Thanks a lot ! :)

XFX has lifetime warranty. Its a bit lower clocked than the gainward, but you could easily clock it yourself.
    If lifetime warranty appeals to you go for xfx, if not get the gainward and save E20.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    XFX has lifetime warranty. Its a bit lower clocked than the gainward, but you could easily clock it yourself.
    If lifetime warranty appeals to you go for xfx, if not get the gainward and save E20.

At that I would go for the Gainward, but in the Gainwards "System Requirements Details" it says you need a "Pentium 4" - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324733&view=detailed - While I only have a 2Ghz Celeron, would this make it impossible to use ?

Last question, I promise ! Thanks :)

It'll run alright, but your cpu will be a bottleneck. Card would just run faster on a p4.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    It'll run alright, but your cpu will be a bottleneck. Card would just run faster on a p4.

Gratzi :)

Can't wait to get playing with it! Will order tomorrow :)

Thanks a lot ! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement