Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviary pics

Options
  • 03-09-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Just some aviary pics..

The inside, Victor the cockatiel..this is his patch he doesn't like to share with the other cockatiel but he tolerates Bouli the budgie.
    aviaryseptembervictorinsideoncage.jpg

Enjoying some millet.
    404e4173.jpg

Rocky and Bouli, Bouli loves Rocky and Rocky loves Bouli..as long as he doesn't get too close lol.
    aviaryseptemberbouliandrockyou.jpg

aviaryseptemberrockybouliout.jpg

Playground in the aviary shed
    aviaryseptemberindoorplayground.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Thanks so much for sharing your pics, they bring back very happy memoreies. I had two of them for years, a cheeky little female pearl called Lovejoy and her toy boy, they got on really well with my other birds, an Umbrella cockatoo and a Regent parrot. The cockatiels ruled the roost so to speak and bullied the bigger birds. I wish you and your feathered babies good health and long life.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

I am interested in building an aviary like the one you have there for your budgie.

Could you please tell me where you got those metal panels etc?

If you have time a detailed photo of the metal aviary would be great too????

Thanks in advance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Firstly we got got a patio put down to cover the floor area and then someone to build the shed part, you could use a potting shed or something like that but we went for something 3 feet high to keep the heat in in winter. A base was built for it (by hubby and a Polish guy) and the shed sat on top of it.
    They built the roof first then propped it up and built the rest of the timber frame. Then used aviary wire to wire the whole thing.
    Here's some pics to give you an idea, some metal bars at the base to secure the frame a bit better.
    Mods please edit a bit if the pics are too large or too many).

The shed
    Avsite.jpg

The base
    avvtwo.jpg

The roof frame (measurements were wrong and they had to make it a bit longer than it is in the pic) you can see the area for the two doors.
    avvvvfour.jpg

The shed and base stained and roof and some sides up.
    aviaryupdateone.jpg

..More pics to follow

We had to order the metal sheets, but most shops liek co-op or Arro will order them for you if they don't have them, they order them from a crowd called Ground Force. Can't remember the size of each roll but I think it is 18 feet long and 4 feet wide and the holes are 1/4 inch..anything bigger would bring in rodents. Think it was 36.00 euro a roll, the wire is the most expensive part.

How the wire was fixed to the timber, using metal staples (very tedious job because you have to hammer them in).
    topofaviaryroofedited.jpg

Side view
    outone.jpg

Metal bar to give more stability
    arwensprint.jpg

Back of shed (more timber has been added and it will be boxed in for storage).
    frameavfour.jpg

flighttwo.jpg

Hope that helps, if you want better pics of pics of areas of it just let me know.

It was a night mare to build although if you are anyway good at carpentry it's not too bad it's just tedious esp. if building big. It was worth it in the end though.

There's bascially a double door system to make sure there are no escapes.

Locks on the inside and outside of both doors.
    We have part of the flight with some timber over it just loosely at the moment but we have to cover about 1/4 or so of it before winter sets in just for some extra shelter.

The only problem with the shape we made it is that it's hard to put perches in, most of the toys have to hang and mine prefer to sit on perches than swing.

A few safe plants and a shallow bird bath still has to go in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Thanks a million for going to all that bother!

Thats great, i will build similar soon before i get another bird after you may recall i lost my parrot approx. 6 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

GPR, just had a thought about your perch problem. Maybe useless but anyways.........
    How about a few of those things people use to dry clothes on, I know I remember as a kid my mother having these wooden "clothes horse" things for drying things over the bath or floor. Id say they would be fairly cheap and easy to secure? :)
    Maybe hung from the top and secured to the side of the aviary so they dont sway?

Another thing I thought of might be nice and also save you some daily work, one of those cheap 30 euro self contained "fountains" from B&Q, be a source of moving water for birdies? As its moving 24/7 it wouldnt freeze too ;)

Just some thoughts.

(Plz excuse my living vicariously through your aviary, always wanted one meself lolol ;) )
    B

Hmmm the close horse idea may be an option if all else fails.
    Colmranger depending on the type of parrot you may need stronger aviary wire but the same crowd (ie groundforce) may have it.
    If the wire is too heavy they can damage their beaks and wings when they flight onto it itf it's too light they can chew through it so it's just a matter of seeing which suits.
    We got a very good aviary wire a long time ago but it is 1/2 inch very strong but ok for smaller birds, I think it was Baumans in Stillorgin

Also be careful with the type of wood stain you use, make sure it's safe.

Advertisement