Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP/Toshiba/Advent/Compaq/P.Bell computers - are they really bad?

• 03-09-2006 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

This is basically a "*PC World & Dixons* vs Dell" question... If I bought a laptop of one of these brands that PC World & Dixons are always advertising, is there decent customer service available in case of breakdown or something? And are these brands reliable? Which is the best out of those? (by best I mean the one least known for being crap; I don't mean which one would suit me personally....)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time was DELL support wiped PC World, and you pay a premium for bricks and morter shops.

You can also get TOSH's from www.bms.ie , I'm sure others can list other places to get stuff from.

The Laptops from LIDL / ALDI usually come with three year support as another alternative.

Advent is a PC World brand (made by who knows ?)

PC World, Dixons and Curries are the same company.

P Bell used to be aimed at people new to computers so lots of fancy menus and stuff but they cost a little extra for that. - not sure if that's changed since.

Oh yeah they all probably use SONY ExploLithium TM batteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

eskimo wrote:
    This is basically a "*PC World & Dixons* vs Dell" question... If I bought a laptop of one of these brands that PC World & Dixons are always advertising, is there decent customer service available in case of breakdown or something? And are these brands reliable? Which is the best out of those? (by best I mean the one least known for being crap; I don't mean which one would suit me personally....)

Well recent articles on dell are saying that dells return rate on laptops is 22%, while hp internal figures are showing 2%....

There the facts belive what you want from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Blitz do you have a link to that article page? Would be some interesting reading....As for the 22% for Dell would it be fair to say Dell sell more than HP do in Ireland....?
    I would have to say that HP/Toshiba/Advent/Compaq/P.Bell have never been very sturdy brands that I have come across , you could also add Fujitsu Siemens to that bunch too,although having said that can anyone here think of someone whos had a laptop for 3+ years from any manufacturer completely troublefree?
    I had a Targa (Lidl's Own) laptop which developed faults after 3 months but they have a good service.Top marks to Lidl too they gave me a full refund after 3 months owning the laptop,with a bit of whinging mind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm using an Advent, was sceptical at first but online reviews showed it to be by and large a reliable machine...nice machine, light and looks great. Only had it 2 months though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

majiktripp wrote:
    Blitz do you have a link to that article page? Would be some interesting reading....As for the 22% for Dell would it be fair to say Dell sell more than HP do in Ireland....?
    I would have to say that HP/Toshiba/Advent/Compaq/P.Bell have never been very sturdy brands that I have come across , you could also add Fujitsu Siemens to that bunch too,although having said that can anyone here think of someone whos had a laptop for 3+ years from any manufacturer completely troublefree?
    I had a Targa (Lidl's Own) laptop which developed faults after 3 months but they have a good service.Top marks to Lidl too they gave me a full refund after 3 months owning the laptop,with a bit of whinging mind you...

On the contrary, HP sell about the same amount of units as dell do. However Dell is a More home focused company, where as HP have large corporate clients (like BOI for example).

Ill pull up the link and pm it to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd be interested in the link too please.

Does it diffenteriate between Inspiron and Latitudes, as they (and their users :rolleyes: ) are chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dell get a lot of computers back because buyers don't like the colour.... hence theDell outlet existence.

Poster is right though about the ratio of comsumer to corporate customers. When was the last time you saw a HP insert in the sunday world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dell's own tests show comparison between a few major competitors
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/en/Dell_Notebook_Durability_Test.pdf
    It is a bit old given its a late 2005 document but the premise remains the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

eskimo wrote:

Out of the computers you list I'd say the Toshiba, then HP/Compaq.

Advertisement