Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up email with vodafone payg

• 03-09-2006 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    my sister is using a vodafone payg sim on an unlocked o2 branded sony ericsson t630 phone (phone originally bought from o2).

this phone has a nice little email client on it but she can't get any use out of it atm because of some problem with gprs on the phone.

how feasible is it to get email working for her on her phone given the above considerations?

in other words:
    1)can payg be set up to use gprs?
    2)and if so will she have a problem setting up gprs on a voda sim in an o2 unlocked phone?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

hi there

bad news,you cant use email on phone the unless you have an isp,vodafone payg unfortunately dont give you an isp only on bill your entitled to this,the phone should work with wap gprs(for checking email on the wap browser),just in the settings and off you go!

damo

ISP access is working on an RTG SIM I have. I think they did enable it sometime recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

hi.
    interesting you say that rtg has been enabled for isp access recently (i thought i heard something about this as well). does this mean full gprs on a rtg sim though?

btw, she wouldn't be interested in getting a vodafone email account as such. instead she has a yahoo account and i have all the yahoo email settings that are needed to set up the account.

but apart from the rtg gprs issue do ye see any difficulties with enabling gprs on a sim used in an UNLOCKED O2 PHONE?

Very unlikely. O2 don't tend to lock settings so they can be changed easily.

Karsini wrote:
    Very unlikely. O2 don't tend to lock settings so they can be changed easily.

fair enough.
    but for rtg sim's in general, you think it's possible to enable it for gprs, right?

• Advertisement

Well I'll explain what happened to me:

My phone was working on GPRS WAP for GSM but not 3G (why I don't know). It didn't work on the ISP on either system and I didn't expect it to. I called them to report the problem, went through the usual thing and then it worked on 3G WAP. Yet I tried the ISP later and it worked so they must have provisioned that too.

I'm not sure what you'd need to do, I'd assume call them and ask to be provisioned for ISP access.

Karsini wrote:
    Well I'll explain what happened to me:

My phone was working on GPRS WAP for GSM but not 3G (why I don't know). It didn't work on the ISP on either system and I didn't expect it to. I called them to report the problem, went through the usual thing and then it worked on 3G WAP. Yet I tried the ISP later and it worked so they must have provisioned that too.

I'm not sure what you'd need to do, I'd assume call them and ask to be provisioned for ISP access.

fair enough.
    but by any chance do you know what the settings are on your phone that allow the ISP access just in case vodafone are unhelpful?
    thanks

Sure:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

I'm not sure if Yahoo use their own SMTP server or not, if they don't then specify mail.vodafone.ie as the outgoing server.

Karsini wrote:
    Sure:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

I'm not sure if Yahoo use their own SMTP server or not, if they don't then specify mail.vodafone.ie as the outgoing server.

thanks for that.
    sorry about this but
    where do you input those settings, is it under the email settings, the web settings or connectivity settings.

for some strange reason i can't see an obvious place to put them in, just looking at my own phone (which is bill-pay).

but maybe my sister's rtg phone has somewhere to put them in.

I've never used an SE phone so couldn't say unfortunately. On Nokia Series 60 phones you create a whole new connection in the connectivity settings while on Motorola phones its a subsection of the e-mail settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Vodafone launched what they call "prepaid data" at the start of the summer so now anything a bill paid phone can do, an rtg sim can do too.

To get the email client set up you'll have to get your sis to call vodafone (1850 20 87 87) and ask them to provision her for gprs (for a sony-e model that they do that's close to the t630) Which will get the sim set up for gprs.

Then you need to change the o2 settings (APN's) to Vodafone settings in the phone itself. http://www.vodafone.ie/phonestariffs/allabout/display.jsp?type=settings&cat=Client&phone=T610&manu=Sony%20Ericsson&model=T610

Try changing the handset settings first as the sim may already be set up fine, which will save you the call to customer service. I don't have the yahoo outgoing and incoming servers handy, but if she just sets up a vodafone.ie address it'd be alot easier.

AFAIK it's free to check the emails (who their from and the subject) but it costs to check the content (2c per kb)

alright. thanks a lot.
    hopefully i'll be able to sort it with that info.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

Just go to the Sony Ericsson website and send the OTA settings for your T360 to your phone as a free text. You'll be able to use it just like the Nokia OTA service. It may not work, but it's your best bet in my opinion

Sony Ericsson OTA
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ie&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1_1_2&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10117

And just for the record, it was Oct '05 that the ISP apn was available to all RtG customers.

thanks.

Advertisement